GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang...I'm gonna have my cracked windshield replaced by folks that my insurance company recommended. They have assured me that the the new replacement is OEM, but they also said that it's not stamped by GM. Does this make sense? thanks kindly, I'd appreciate your prompt response, because the repair is gonna be soon. I want to make sure that I have the acoustic-grade glass.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just make sure the new windshield is laminated accoustic glass

dm2010nox said:
Hey gang...I'm gonna have my cracked windshield replaced by folks that my insurance company recommended. They have assured me that the the new replacement is OEM, but they also said that it's not stamped by GM. Does this make sense? thanks kindly, I'd appreciate your prompt response, because the repair is gonna be soon. I want to make sure that I have the acoustic-grade glass.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do. thanks for your prompt response!

·
Registered
101 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Just make sure the new windshield is laminated accoustic glass
How can you tell? Is there a standard in the windshield numbering or any other way to differentiate laminated acoustic from plain laminated (normal for windshields) glass?
I've bought "original, but not marked by the manufacturer" products before... I'm not sure I'd ever be fully convinced.

Won't the insurance company pay for the replacement at the dealership?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't know if it's the same for replacement glass, but the oem one have it marked on them. see picture.

this is the picture of the drivers side window as it was more easy to take the picture but there are one on the windshield too.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I don't know if it's the same for replacement glass, but the oem one have it marked on them. see picture.

this is the picture of the drivers side window as it was more easy to take the picture but there are one on the windshield too.
This is awesome. An (admittedly short) Google search revealed no information on which one of those codes actually means acoustic (it seems there should be an 'A' somewhere, perhaps AS2?), but thanks to that picture now dm2010nox has something to compare to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The AS2 means it is a side window. AS1 is front, AS3 is rear. The DOT is the manufacturer number. My original Nox windshield was made by Pilkington in the US but said GM on it. It also said acoustic on it. My replacement said Pilkington but the DOT 177 tells me it was made by L-N safety glass in Mexico. It also has a symbol that looks like an ear that may mean acoustic. If you do not have acoustic glass you have glass that is thinner than original. If your car is a lease, when you return your lease , the lease company may check the glass for original equipment. If it does not meet specs you may be liable. Google DOT glass manufacturers and find for yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts