GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You are forgetting the center of gravity and mass. A Nox on camaro wheels does not make a car that should be going 130+ as the camaro is capable of. It is one thing to be able to reach those speeds but another to be safe doing it.
Don't get me started on the Mach-E. Would be fine it it was 1500 lbs lighter and had better rubber but has neither of those two things. The CG should be fine though with the heavy battery down in the floor but controlling that weight will always be a problem.
...my post was in jest...I’ve actually had both cars in my signature up to 130 MPH...both are scary at those speeds! I didn’t think either one was more stable than the other...you would think my much lower Z28 would be more stable, but the air still gets under it at those speeds and makes it feel light on its feat...and before anyone says anything, yes, both cars have been on the race track...yes, even the Equinox...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just learning the v6 has over 300hp Wow
That was my reaction...when I was just kinda looking at Equinox’s in late ‘14, I stumbled on that fact, then there was never any doubt which motor I was getting! I didn’t even know about the problems with the 4 cylinders, I just wanted the 300+ HP! After I got on this forum and saw all the issues the 4’s were having, just another reason I’m glad I went with the 6!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yep, my wife blew off a kid in a Camaro the other day when he tried passing her in the right lane at a light. At the next light he asked her what she had in it LOL. He didn't try again, AWD has the holeshot every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never been ballsy enough to push my vehicles to the limit. Knowing my luck, I would destroy my engine and wouldn't be able to pay for the repair.

What is the fastest you all have gone in your machine?

My '13 Nox with the I4 - 80 MPH

I've run mine for two hours at 100 MPH a couple of times, and it's non-dramatic (aside for constantly looking out for law enforcement). GM's tire choice limits the vehicle to 118 MPH or 190 KPH. I suspect that just north of 135 MPH is possible without a limiter since the maximum engine speed is 7000 RPM, but the fact that these things are biased toward ride comfort means that there's insufficient body control (for me, at least) to do sustained running above 100 MPH. I think that's the real reason GM won't let it run freely.

Note the engine speed - if the road is flat (or downhill) and there's a tailwind, then it would be around 3600 RPM since the transmission would stay in top gear with the torque converter fully locked. I usually only see that if the road speed is 100 MPH (exactly 3000 RPM) or less. BTW, while 100 MPH is easy on the nerves, it's hard on the wallet - about 14 MPG. That's why I spend most of my road time at 80 MPH or less; I've seen a best of just over 27 MPG at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did my 100 MPH runs with cruise, but it wasn't set for the picture. Cruise will not set at or above 115 MPH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I neglected to add that while I have no problems with directional stability at those speeds, I was alarmed at how much the nose dived the first time I had to decelerate suddenly due to being cut off. If that problem could be fixed with some suspension parts, I would most certainly do it. I suppose it's good that there's no real aftermarket - that'll keep me down to speeds I can afford to travel.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I was alarmed at how much the nose dived the first time I had to decelerate suddenly due to being cut off. If that problem could be fixed with some suspension parts
Stiffer springs should help, but that heavy front end isn't helping matters.
I have the upgraded factory FE2 suspension.
I wouldn't say it's soft but some of my passengers have mentioned to me that they think it's on the stiff side for a stock SUV.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yea seriously what a sleeper
I have always felt that our '15 was lazy until about 55MPH. I could easily beat my wife in a stop light run with my TL, but on the highway from 55-85MPH, pretty sure she could pull away. Above 85, aerodynamics kicks in and the TL would be able to keep on going. Now add rain or snow....no contest, her AWD will always win there. I have not been able to figure out if it is the different gearing in the AWD, lazy transmission, lazy throttle mapping...or what. Just doesn't feel 300HP quick through 1st or 2nd gear.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is not how fast you can go, the most important thing is how soon you can stop the vehicle. 🤔

41 - 55 of 55 Posts