GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never been ballsy enough to push my vehicles to the limit. Knowing my luck, I would destroy my engine and wouldn't be able to pay for the repair.

What is the fastest you all have gone in your machine?

My '13 Nox with the I4 - 80 MPH

I've run mine for two hours at 100 MPH a couple of times, and it's non-dramatic (aside for constantly looking out for law enforcement). GM's tire choice limits the vehicle to 118 MPH or 190 KPH. I suspect that just north of 135 MPH is possible without a limiter since the maximum engine speed is 7000 RPM, but the fact that these things are biased toward ride comfort means that there's insufficient body control (for me, at least) to do sustained running above 100 MPH. I think that's the real reason GM won't let it run freely.

Note the engine speed - if the road is flat (or downhill) and there's a tailwind, then it would be around 3600 RPM since the transmission would stay in top gear with the torque converter fully locked. I usually only see that if the road speed is 100 MPH (exactly 3000 RPM) or less. BTW, while 100 MPH is easy on the nerves, it's hard on the wallet - about 14 MPG. That's why I spend most of my road time at 80 MPH or less; I've seen a best of just over 27 MPG at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I neglected to add that while I have no problems with directional stability at those speeds, I was alarmed at how much the nose dived the first time I had to decelerate suddenly due to being cut off. If that problem could be fixed with some suspension parts, I would most certainly do it. I suppose it's good that there's no real aftermarket - that'll keep me down to speeds I can afford to travel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After spending more time with our Equinox and upgrading its brakes (with rotors and aggressive pads from EBC Brakes), I used HPTuners to eliminate the limiter on it last week because I 'needed' to see what it would do. I finally was able to get out today for a run after waiting for the velocity tax collectors to go back to sleep. I saw 138 MPH in one direction and 134 MPH in the opposite direction on a six-lane stretch of Interstate highway before running out of room (there was light traffic at the time that got heavier). Straight-line stability at those speeds is still surprisingly good, and the confidence that I've gained in it since my last post allowed me to trust it when running that quickly. It still doesn't make up for the cost, though; 135 MPH = 8 MPG (or about 170 miles of range on a full tank)! I'll post pictures when I'm able to do it with both of my eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel. In contrast, my last road trip was 24 MPG at 65 MPH into a 25 MPH headwind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Just doesn't feel 300HP quick through 1st or 2nd gear."

The major contributor to the way our vehicles feel at lower speeds is their curb weight - approximately 6.5 seconds to 60 MPH says they do a decent job of overcoming that weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts