GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been ballsy enough to push my vehicles to the limit. Knowing my luck, I would destroy my engine and wouldn't be able to pay for the repair.

What is the fastest you all have gone in your machine?

My '13 Nox with the I4 - 80 MPH

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I think it was 93 mph... in my 2013 Nox with the 3.6L V6.

It was by accident.
Nox was fairly new to me.
Hopped on the onramp---... and accelerated to get on the highway....
when I looked down--- HOLY POOP... 93..... and backed off the gas.

the 3.6/NOX, felt alot different than the 3.6/Traverse.

It sure didnt feel like 93.... the engine was not even struggling....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The first week I had it I ran it up to between 105 and 110 two times to see how the top end felt.
It was still pulling strong.
2018 with 2.0Lt.

I wonder if the top speed is electronically limited?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've never been ballsy enough to push my vehicles to the limit. Knowing my luck, I would destroy my engine and wouldn't be able to pay for the repair.

What is the fastest you all have gone in your machine?

My '13 Nox with the I4 - 80 MPH
The engine is not your worry, deer or a tire blow-out is. Back in the old days of flat tappet lifters they would "float" effectively limiting engine rpm before any catastrophic failure. Nowadays with roller cams and lifters GM and probably the other manufactures have rpm limiters built into the PCM, in another words a governor. On a recent trip my wife hit 82 mph in her 17 Nox taking her daughter back to college after Thanksgiving vacation. I know because Garmin has a tattle-tell feature. I still have the 71 Chevelle SS I've owned since new, don't ask me what I hit in that back in the day, but even before speed rated tires, they were always a worry, even when I was young and foolish.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
On a trip to San Antonio from Tucson on I-10 I did 95 for about 5 minutes.
Nox felt solid with plenty more to go.
I remember this because Texas has a posted speed of 85, I thought 10 over was as far as I should push it.
I do remember some pretty good wind noise.

·
Registered
407 Posts
145kmph (90MPH) in this one. didn't realize I was going that fast. I was in BC and if you are 20kmph over the posted limit they impound your vehicle if you get stopped.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I still have the 71 Chevelle SS I've owned since new, don't ask me what I hit in that back in the day, but even before speed rated tires, they were always a worry, even when I was young and foolish.
While we're on the topic, I hit 115 with a 66 GTO on an on-ramp onto the highway ! I have gone faster, but not on on-ramps ! Ah, to be young and foolish.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The 'nox is my wife's car so I haven't had a chance to ''blow it out'' yet. With the 3.6 it should have no problem hitting the limiter IMO . 90 mph shots were not a problem. Freaking Mom mobile has a lot of snot.
What ever the speed rating of the tires listed on the tire info. door placard is what the PCM speed limiter is set to when vehicle is built unless reflashed higher in today's cars. Getting to that speed is a matter of if it has enough motor to get there.
I've had her old '07 Mustang GT 5 spd. up to 140 mph on the speedo. My old '68 GTO with the 3.23 gears would easily go to 130 . 2nd gear with the old Turbo 400 trans. would hit 80 just on the pedal to the floor downshift.
GT felt good at speed, GTO not so good with those fiberglass belted tires of the time but youth was prevailing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had my I4 up to 95mph, Engine sounded terrible. I'll never do it again.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
BandDirector

Not that I want to go there, but what track do you run at that has enough length to be able to get the Nox up to 130 ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
i’m kinda jealous that i never had a 3.6 when i bought my 2015 new the advertised highway mileage of 22mpg on the 3.6 awd was less than appealing so i went with the i4 our 2010 terrain is an i4 but it runs a lil bit better bc the hearing was different in 2010 and 11 not as good highway mileage tho. my 2018 2.0t runs pretty good but i really wish they would have put the next generation 3.6 in the new smaller body. if the acadia can get 25mpg on the highway the equinox would have probably been able to get 27-28 with the right gearing and it would have had the same mpg as the 2.0 with more power and no premium “recommended”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Not that I want to go there, but what track do you run at that has enough length to be able to get the Nox up to 130 ?
Not to leave RIT333 hanging, but I did delete my previous post in this thread. I will say that in a controlled environment of course, the 3.6 Nox is capable of at least 130 mph top end and possibly a little more.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
i’m kinda jealous that i never had a 3.6 when i bought my 2015 new the advertised highway mileage of 22mpg on the 3.6 awd was less than appealing so i went with the i4 our 2010 terrain is an i4 but it runs a lil bit better bc the hearing was different in 2010 and 11 not as good highway mileage tho. my 2018 2.0t runs pretty good but i really wish they would have put the next generation 3.6 in the new smaller body. if the acadia can get 25mpg on the highway the equinox would have probably been able to get 27-28 with the right gearing and it would have had the same mpg as the 2.0 with more power and no premium “recommended”

I and several other with the 3.6L LFZ V6 get pretty decent MPG.

Here is a posting I made last year about this time on a +500 mile round trip under two very different conditions. The first part was pretty normal road and driving conditions for late November. The second part. . . . well, Winter arrived.
But even then and very cold driving conditions for the first 100 miles on return, I still averaged +26 to +29 MPG.

Here are the results - - - -

·
Registered
5,579 Posts

I and several other with the 3.6L LFZ V6 get pretty decent MPG.

Here is a posting I made last year about this time on a 678 mile round trip under two very different conditions. The first part was pretty normal road and driving conditions for late November. The second part. . . . well, Winter arrived.
But even then and very cold driving conditions for the first 100 miles on return, I still averaged +26 to +29 MPG.

Total fuel used was 10.11 + 14.295 = 24.405 gallons.

678.8 Miles / 24.405 gallons = 27.814 MPG over all average under pretty varied conditions.

Here are the results - - - -

Rather than add this to one of several other threads on 3.6L V6 MPG, I thought I would create a new one .

This thread hopefully will illustrate a few things and what a 3.6L owner may experience under some real world conditions within only a few days time of driving a 679 mile round trip under two very different weather/terrain conditions.

This first section will be the starter leg of 293.9 Miles to the first stop for fuel. After this stop, there was still approximately some 36 miles of hilly country highway at ~60 to 65 MPH driving. I filled the gas tank up before leaving and the second fillup after 293.9 miles was the only additional fillup till I returned at 679 miles. This second fillup also included two cold starts and local trip of some additional 10 miles at 30 to 35mph.

I may need to edit this as I post so bare with me.

I filled up at my usual gas station only 4 blocks from the interstate where my trip started. So with a full tank I took some pictures of the DIC shortly after driving a bit and also at the point the 2015 Equinox LTZ turned over 17,000 miles just for grins.

When I started out the temperature was 57 degrees and a nice sunrise, 3 to 4 MPH cross wind, and relatively flat terrain with occasional rolling hills for the first 200 miles or so.

These first DIC pictures are after driving about 60 miles at 65 to 72 MPH to illustrate current MPG at the time:

These next two pictures are just after turning over 17,000 miles along the way and 192.5 miles into the trip. Just a mile marker for the Equinox:
[/color]

Now this is the first and only stop for fuel until returning a few days later. The DIC reported 29.6 Avg MPG for 293.9 Miles. I do not have the gas receipt but logged 10.11 gallons for the fillup. So, 29.07 MPG calculated verses 29.6 on the DIC. [/color]

[/color]

So now I spent the rest of this Friday till Monday morning upstate in cooling weather. That is a bit of understatement. Remember, when I left it was sunny and 57 degrees with little wind. Upon arriving at my weekend destination green grass was still present, although Fall leaves were mostly off the trees. This is up in a National Forest area and temps were falling. I arrived at 11:15 AM and by 3PM winter arrived with wet, freezing rain pellets first, then sleet and snow along with falling temperatures into the mid 20's. Also, winds were gusting to 40 MPH over night. Woo-hoo. . winter in northern Wisconsin.

While I was up there, I did have a few cold/warm starts on this fillup. A couple to travel 5 miles back and forth for dinner, another to move my vehicle in order to scrape ice/snow off of it somewhat, and then the cold start at 12F degrees upon leaving.
So this is what it looked like at the start of my return trip at about daybreak and 12 degrees:[/color]

It never warmed up much on the way home, unless 36 degrees is considered a heat wave.
Here is a pic of the temp when I arrived home at the same gas station I filled up at when I left:[/color]

. . After my return trip the following pictures document my mileage for 384.9 miles. This included some 56 total miles since my only fillup during my trip. I mentioned going to dinner as well as the last 36 miles up to my destination. Also, it was 12 degrees upon leaving, and those first 36 miles have long stretches of steep 3% to 6% grades. So, a cold start with a 6 minute warm up and hilly terrain.

Here are the results after my return trip. As stated, beginning temperature was 12F degrees and at 1:10PM when I got to my home gas station it was 36 degrees. Road and traffic conditions were good and I experienced mostly an 8 to 10 mph cross wind along the way home. I drove at speeds of ~ 60 to 65MPH for the first 100 miles and then 65 to 72 MPH the rest of the way depending on traffic with some passing of semi trucks. I do like the way the 3.6L can go when needed!
Return fuel fill up of 14.295 gallons for 384.9 miles or 26.925 MPG. The DIC reported 26.9 AVG MPG so really close this time.[/color]

Final calculation for actual fuel used and miles driven for the round trip was:
[/color]

Final results then - - - about 29MPG on the trip up with good weather and 50 degree temps and 26.9MPG on the way back under much colder weather conditions.

Total fuel used was 10.11 + 14.295 = 24.405 gallons.

678.8 / 24.405 = 27.814 MPG over all average under pretty varied conditions.
[/COLOR]

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I believe my 'nox has a stock T speed rating tire. Not with the vehicle right now, just did a quick search on Tire Rack.. That's 119 mph speed rating of the Michelins on it per tire rack so that's usually where the PCM factory speed limiter would be set.
I agree that 300 ponies will propel it to 130, 300hp got my '07 mustang to that velocity.
Now I'm curious to see if it will bang into the speed limiter......
(disclaimer) Of course in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I like that outside temp. was factored into your MPG results.
Most folks don't understand that cold air is denser air and requires more fuel to achieve the correct air/fuel ratio and FI system adjusts accordingly.
The colder it is the worse your mileage will be.
I'm not 100% positive but I think EPA testing is done with 70 deg. air temps. for fuel MPG averaging.

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
I like that outside temp. was factored into your MPG results.
Most folks don't understand that cold air is denser air and requires more fuel to achieve the correct air/fuel ratio and FI system adjusts accordingly.
The colder it is the worse your mileage will be.
I'm not 100% positive but I think EPA testing is done with 70 deg. air temps. for fuel MPG averaging.
I agree. I've found in recent years ambient air temps of about upper 40F to upper 50F seems to result in best MPG I've obtained. I think air density is one thing, but also drag from colder lubricants and some other factors also affect cold weather MPG.

When driving in summer temps and when AC operation is used, I can still get pretty decent MPG, but in upper 80F to mid 90F the MPG seems to be more varied.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's interesting on how different engines are sensitive to ambient air temp. Many moons ago I had a 91 Sedan de Ville with the 4.9 L V-8. 68 degrees F outside air temp was optimal for that engine, you could see it in the instant mpg in the DIC, and even a degree or two either way made a difference. I've never noticed that any of the other vehicles I've had equipped with the DIC.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
i’m kinda jealous that i never had a 3.6 when i bought my 2015 new the advertised highway mileage of 22mpg on the 3.6 awd was less than appealing so i went with the i4 if the acadia can get 25mpg on the highway the equinox would have probably been able to get 27-28 with the right gearing
I have a 2010 Traverse- cousin to the Acadia.
With gassing up and hitting the highway- sticking to 55. My Traverse hit 33.1 MPG after 120 miles. 4 on board.
round trip was 29 MPG. This was when It was newer.
Similar trips were always in the 27-30 MPGs range.

My most recent record-- was 32 MPG after 140 miles on the road--- Only I was on board. Same thing 55-60....... and I actually hit 126,000 miles on this trip....

But my Traverse driven sensibly- returned great MPG--- I figured an Equinox with the 3.6 (301 HP vs the Traverse 281 HP)... would return even better mileage on the highway--- and thats one reason I bought it...

And I was right-- returns great MPGs--- way more than the window sticker...

MPGs always verified using the hand calc method and DIC.

·
Registered
116 Posts
According to Car and Driver magazine the 2.0 Terrain’s top speed is 132 MPH. ZERO to 60 6.8 seconds
21/26 mpg
EPA
6.8 sec
0-60
252 hp
HP

Reactions: Lee F
1 - 20 of 55 Posts