GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 equinox battery is draining overnight. I have had the battery,alternator,and starter tested...all showing good status. Any info would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Jamesr said:
My 2011 equinox battery is draining overnight. I have had the battery,alternator,and starter tested...all showing good status. Any info would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Mine will drain if I leave it in an Airport parking lot for over a week. Mine has a high parasitic load. What model do you have. I believe that mine is caused by the power seat module. Bring it to the dealer and complain while it is under warranty. I complained when it was 2 weeks out of warranty, and they said tough luck. My solution is to call for roadside assistance whenever it happens. You can do the same if they refuse to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hi Jamesr,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your battery draining. Please let us know if you decide to visit the dealership and would like any assistance with this matter. Feel free to contact us through private message.

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
43 Posts
As stated, have the dealer check for the voltage draw and it's location. A healthy battery, alternator and starter are all good, but new, modern cars have a constant draw on them, due to Modules and Control Units, that need to "stay alive", retaining programed information.

As JamesR said, if one of these units fails, or develops a "draw", it can drain a battery just by sitting, in a short period of time.

Determining WHICH circuit is causing the draw is much harder these days with as many as 10-20 onboard computers on one car.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Voodoodaddy said:
As stated, have the dealer check for the voltage draw and it's location. A healthy battery, alternator and starter are all good, but new, modern cars have a constant draw on them, due to Modules and Control Units, that need to "stay alive", retaining programed information.

As JamesR said, if one of these units fails, or develops a "draw", it can drain a battery just by sitting, in a short period of time.

Determining WHICH circuit is causing the draw is much harder these days with as many as 10-20 onboard computers on one car.
I found that pulling fuses individually, and then measuring current draw across the missing fuse works very well. Unfortunately, my dealer didn't trust me, and wanted to charge me $50 to verify what i told him. Frustrated me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had two cars that had glovebox and center arm console lights not shutoff, switches to turn lights off when you close them weren't working.

Check these two. I had to pull bulbs (they were hot!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
you have a parasitic load issue which may be caused by a motor or a bad ground. Do you notice any hum or buzz through your speakers when driving? You can get a draw test performed. Even under load to see how well your battery is still holding a charge. If it has gone dead (I am talking totally dead like not even a faint light) then that does decrease the life span of a battery. very few 2 watt bulbs can drain a battery in one night. You are looking for something bigger, or a bad ground.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
all sorts of modules on the vehicle that can be causing the drain.

Example--it may even be the Onstar Module not going to sleep...

In the meantime- buy one of those battery jump packs and carry it with you....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine will drain if I leave it in an Airport parking lot for over a week. Mine has a high parasitic load. What model do you have. I believe that mine is caused by the power seat module. Bring it to the dealer and complain while it is under warranty. I complained when it was 2 weeks out of warranty, and they said tough luck. My solution is to call for roadside assistance whenever it happens. You can do the same if they refuse to fix it under warranty.
I have a 2014 EQ same problem no power at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Equinox LT that has speaker buzz whenever the car is on, in gear and the headlights are on. If the headlights are off the buzz goes away, or if the car is off, but the headlights are on, it goes away. I can't figure it out. Any ideas? I would SO appreciate any help in this issue, as I am not super savvy and the noise drives me crazy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is actually a recall on Motorola and Continental (also motorola) OnStar modules for parasitic battery drain issues..... You need to talk to your GM dealer about getting it replaced with an LG module.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts