GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 944 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I too have experianced the "noisy Start-up" twice -- first start of the day both times. Was very short (like one rev) and all was OK ... Unless it getts worse will talk to service when I bring it in for first oil Change... :-\

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Tdog said:
Tricia, a post further up this thread from Benzie references a Recall relating to the noise issue:

Cause: Recall
V2443 11195 - Reprogram ECM

Is this correct? Is there a new recall on this issue? And is there a change in the recommendations for type of oil or frequency of oil changes?

Thanks.
I believe that this recall is regarding rough idle and poor drivability. It may also include your concern, but I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information about whether this would apply to you vehicle. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I believe that this recall is regarding rough idle and poor drivability. It may also include your concern, but I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information about whether this would apply to you vehicle. Thank you.

Correct. I just looked at our receipt again. It states 'rough idle, poor driveability - reprogram engine control module'. So far so good for us. Maybe GM fixed the start-up noise with this this update? Our vehicle starts normal now, every single time. That's all I know. If it starts acting up again, I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the loud startup noise and my Nox is only a little over a month old now. The dealers says that GM is aware of the problem but doesn't have a fix for it yet. Of course mine is in the shop again right now and I have a rental. It has a stalling and check engine light problem also.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Come on GM....ya think you have an 'Issue' here!!...not looking good.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think its on the west coast..could be wrong

·
Registered
949 Posts
ttfn59 said:
I have the loud startup noise and my Nox is only a little over a month old now. The dealers says that GM is aware of the problem but doesn't have a fix for it yet. Of course mine is in the shop again right now and I have a rental. It has a stalling and check engine light problem also.
You and I are in the same boat- start up noise AND intermittent check engine light with rough idle/poor driveability/stalling.

They did a software update for the P0011 code on July 7th, and the light came back on July 12th. I took the car in on the 13th, and so far they haven't done diddly squat- not even pulled the code, in 4 days!

How has yours worked out so far?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sumr616 said:
You and I are in the same boat- start up noise AND intermittent check engine light with rough idle/poor driveability/stalling.

They did a software update for the P0011 code on July 7th, and the light came back on July 12th. I took the car in on the 13th, and so far they haven't done diddly squat- not even pulled the code, in 4 days!

How has yours worked out so far?
My Dealer doesn't have a clue what is happening. I stopped by today and talked to them, but they are not touching my car until GM gets there on Tuesday. I did have the software updated but it didn't do a thing. As a matter of fact, the check engine light came on 10 minutes after I drove off from the dealer. I made my first payment yesterday, very depressing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a bit worried about the fact that we are told to contact our dealer, but the dealer doesn't know what to do. Some dealers have different knowledge of the recalls and problems thatn others. All I can say is that I put in a case number with GM and they called my dealer about my car. GM told me that my dealer never mentioned the stalling and check engine light, only that it makes noise starting up. I went in today and got my paperwork from them and had them add it to the paperwork. I can't believe it, the check engine light was ON when I took it in and that is EXACTLY why I took it to them. Make sure you stay on top of the paperwork with your dealers.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
benzie said:
The noise is back after 11 days. Contacting our service manager.
I am glad to see that you are continuing to work with your local dealer. Please feel free to keep me posted via private message regarding your concern. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm a newbie...actually just placed an order for a 2012 Equinox 2LT w/I4 last week. So I don't actually know if my Nox Rox 8) or Sux :binky:

But with all the headaches and frustration you all are having...I'm wondering if I've made a mistake?

I would hope that GM has researched the problem and will make fixes in producing the new model year. But at this point, it sounds like they don't know what the real problem is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NoxRox said:
I'm a newbie...actually just placed an order for a 2012 Equinox 2LT w/I4 last week. So I don't actually know if my Nox Rox 8) or Sux :binky:

But with all the headaches and frustration you all are having...I'm wondering if I've made a mistake?

I would hope that GM has researched the problem and will make fixes in producing the new model year. But at this point, it sounds like they don't know what the real problem is.
I would be very worried if I were you. Also, have you test driven one yet? So far they seem to run very poorly and I wish I had gotten a V6.

·
Registered
949 Posts
ttfn59 said:
I am a bit worried about the fact that we are told to contact our dealer, but the dealer doesn't know what to do. Some dealers have different knowledge of the recalls and problems thatn others. All I can say is that I put in a case number with GM and they called my dealer about my car. GM told me that my dealer never mentioned the stalling and check engine light, only that it makes noise starting up. I went in today and got my paperwork from them and had them add it to the paperwork. I can't believe it, the check engine light was ON when I took it in and that is EXACTLY why I took it to them. Make sure you stay on top of the paperwork with your dealers.
Yep. Software update didn't help my car for the check engine light either. And actually, the two times the light came on before the update, the car just drove a little rough every once in a while. After the update, the car almost stalled as I accelerated from a stop, into traffic.

Mine has now been at the dealer since 7 am, 7/13, and as far as I know, all they've done is send a message to the GM Engineer that they work with. As of now, they can't even confirm that the check engine light this time was the same code as the other times. Like they can't even do the most simple thing.

For the record, I was extremely happy with my Equinox until the noise started happening, after owning the car for only one month. But now, I've spent the last month and a half going back and forth with the dealer. It seems to only be the 4cyl.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes ttfn59, I did test drive one and it seemed to be fine. Though it only had like 9 miles on it when I started.

My current car is a Pontiac Vibe with a little 4 cyl., so that's what I'm used to.

So the V6 has had none of these problems?

I do see that there is a change (not clear on how big a change this is) to the I4 in the 2012s. From the Model Information - Online Ordering Guide it says:

New Features

(LEA) 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) E85 capable when ordered with (FE9) Federal emissions (182 hp [135.7 kW @ 6700 rpm, 172 lb-ft [232.2 N-m] @ 4900 rpm)

I don't really want to give up the fuel economy...though by the way it sounds...some have had bad results in the mpg with the I4.

I'm so confused :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Yep. Software update didn't help my car for the check engine light either. And actually, the two times the light came on before the update, the car just drove a little rough every once in a while. After the update, the car almost stalled as I accelerated from a stop, into traffic.
Right there with you Sumr616, my car has been in the shop since the 11th.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 4 cylinder runs really well, more responsive than I thought it would be. It just doesnt get close to the 32mpg rating, more like 27mpg on the highway, unless we go 55mph and no air conditioning, then we can almost get the 32mpg. I was expecting highway mileage to mean interstates as well, and most of the CA HWYs that we travel are 65mph speed limit. And I thought the ratings were with AC on these days, so leaving it off would be like a potential bonus in efficiency. It is that way in other vehicles we have driven just not GM. Even my 1997 V8 Camaro could get 25mpg with the AC on going 65mph, up and down hills didnt matter much.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
ttfn59 said:
I would be very worried if I were you. Also, have you test driven one yet? So far they seem to run very poorly and I wish I had gotten a V6.
Yeah, wish I got the V6 too...

·
Registered
949 Posts
2011LT2 said:
My 4 cylinder runs really well, more responsive than I thought it would be. It just doesnt get close to the 32mpg rating, more like 27mpg on the highway, unless we go 55mph and no air conditioning, then we can almost get the 32mpg. I was expecting highway mileage to mean interstates as well, and most of the CA HWYs that we travel are 65mph speed limit. And I thought the ratings were with AC on these days, so leaving it off would be like a potential bonus in efficiency. It is that way in other vehicles we have driven just not GM. Even my 1997 V8 Camaro could get 25mpg with the AC on going 65mph, up and down hills didnt matter much.
The EPA uses 5 different mileage tests and somehow averages them together for the ratings. The max speed for 4 of them is 60, only one goes above that speed, and it's the "high speed" test. Also, only one of the tests is with AC on...so, they factor it in a little bit, but it's not the way that most people would want it, you know? For more realistic applications, that is...

41 - 60 of 944 Posts