GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 944 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 doesn't make any sounds when starting. Yesterday, I changed the oil at 3000km which I usually do when breaking in a new vehicle. I used Mobil 1 EP 5W30 (Dexos1 rated) and a new AC Delco PF457G. When I fired it up, I got a brief 2-second rattle noise that sounded similar to the video clip until I got oil pressure. This is normal of course.

I got to wondering about the oil filter. It's a Hengst-type design from Germany. The filter housing is self-draining when you unscrew the filter but shouldn't drain simply shutting the engine off. We've seen this style in big diesel engines years before GM started using it. On this Equinox engine, it's kind of difficult to access which makes the installation a bit tricky. To fit the end nipple (with the green o-ring) of the filter into it's port takes a deft touch. It could even be possible to cram the filter in cocked and still screw down the cap. Or, the o-ring could get simply get nicked and not seal properly. The point is, those engines that are clattering may have an issue with the oil filter installation causing the oil to drain out of the housing when you shut it off. For the sake of a $5 dollar filter, I would give this a try first.

If you do your own oil changes, the special shallow socket (K.D. Tools p/n KD3932) is a must, along with a "wobble" 3/8 drive socket extension.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
RaymondT said:
My 2011 doesn't make any sounds when starting.
I would check the battery conections, or maybe a dead battery !

Sorry - just kidding !

:cheers:

·
Registered
977 Posts
RaymondT said:
My 2011 doesn't make any sounds when starting. Yesterday, I changed the oil at 3000km which I usually do when breaking in a new vehicle. I used Mobil 1 EP 5W30 (Dexos1 rated) and a new AC Delco PF457G. When I fired it up, I got a brief 2-second rattle noise that sounded similar to the video clip until I got oil pressure. This is normal of course.

I got to wondering about the oil filter. It's a Hengst-type design from Germany. The filter housing is self-draining when you unscrew the filter but shouldn't drain simply shutting the engine off. We've seen this style in big diesel engines years before GM started using it. On this Equinox engine, it's kind of difficult to access which makes the installation a bit tricky. To fit the end nipple (with the green o-ring) of the filter into it's port takes a deft touch. It could even be possible to cram the filter in cocked and still screw down the cap. Or, the o-ring could get simply get nicked and not seal properly. The point is, those engines that are clattering may have an issue with the oil filter installation causing the oil to drain out of the housing when you shut it off. For the sake of a $5 dollar filter, I would give this a try first.

If you do your own oil changes, the special shallow socket (K.D. Tools p/n KD3932) is a must, along with a "wobble" 3/8 drive socket extension.
The Hengst design on the Eco-Techs has been around for a while (Filter on top with cap). It was used in the Saturn L Series since 1999. However, The Saturn was a 2.2 (.vs a 2.4 engine) and is not a DI engine. I believe it has also been used on Saabs for a long time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
RIT333 said:
I would check the battery conections, or maybe a dead battery !

Sorry - just kidding !

:cheers:
LOL ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
You know whats sad... My brand new 'now with 224Mi on the Odo does the same thing. I let the car sit for about 45min - 1hr tonight came back and it did it. But yeah weird that it only does it when it has sat. I know some one else has mentioned it sounds like oil has left a part of the engine but I agree. I'll wait to see if anyone else has success before I waste my time @ the dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just had another thought. Maybe there is something funky with the way the starter disengages at that time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 terrain sle 4 cyl.. I get the Death rattle at least 4+ times per week.. Eco mode on or off on startup, ac on or off at start up.

Just had the oil changed and serviced yesterday. Noted at the dealer of the noise on start ups.

They acted like they never heard of the issue before.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
simcoetruck said:
2011 Chevy Nox had to be towed for the 2nd time to shop, wouldn't start again! What a mess, I have never encountered so many problems with a new car. After two days shop called and said car was fixed. Shop said new bulletin came out about the noisy start up and the part has been ordered, so we will see. They said the fuse was blown again so the car wouldn't start. This is the second time this has happened. Headed to shop this morning to get car and see if I can get some answers, will update when I get back (2hr drive one way) If I don't get answers soon I will be seeking legal action. I start a new job on Tuesday and can't afford to loose my job if this piece of s*** doesn't start again
I got my Nox out of the shop for the 7th time on Friday the 1st. On my way home from visiting family 60 miles away the car died right in the middle of the hwy! was able to get it coasted to the side of the road and call a tow truck. Waited 2 hours for a tow truck and off it went. At least I had family not far away so they could drive me home since it was a holiday weekend and no car rental shops were open. Had to find a ride to work on my first day at a new job, this is out of hand. Same problem blew a fuse very unsafe situation just glad I wasn't on a blind corner and got hit!

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
simcoetruck said:
I got my Nox out of the shop for the 7th time on Friday the 1st. On my way home from visiting family 60 miles away the car died right in the middle of the hwy! was able to get it coasted to the side of the road and call a tow truck. Waited 2 hours for a tow truck and off it went. At least I had family not far away so they could drive me home since it was a holiday weekend and no car rental shops were open. Had to find a ride to work on my first day at a new job, this is out of hand. Same problem blew a fuse very unsafe situation just glad I wasn't on a blind corner and got hit!
Can you say "Lemon Law" ? I would pretty darn quick.

Sorry for all of your troubles,

·
Registered
371 Posts
simcoetruck said:
GM needs to supply you with a rental car. I would not take possession of your car again until this problem is resolved.

·
Registered
246 Posts
RIT333 said:
Can you say "Lemon Law" ? I would pretty darn quick.

Sorry for all of your troubles,
X2, unfortunately the dealer is not addressing your problem. A blown fuse is something they need to actually troubleshoot, and technicians today are mostly trained to scan stuff and have the car tell them what to do. Dont let them get away with that, make them buy it back from you.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Epiphone_74 said:
I have a 2011 terrain sle 4 cyl.. I get the Death rattle at least 4+ times per week.. Eco mode on or off on startup, ac on or off at start up.

Just had the oil changed and serviced yesterday. Noted at the dealer of the noise on start ups.

They acted like they never heard of the issue before.

Just my $.02
I would be happy to look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We just took our 2011 Equinox to the dealer for that start up noise. The noise was intermittent, happened several times a day, since day one. It sounded like a diesel for approx 2-3 seconds on start up. Disturbing!

Our service manager heard the noise once - thankfully. It was explained to us that the ECM needed reprogramming because it was sending wrong signals to the cam phaser/solenoid. Picked up the vehicle 2 days ago and all start up's have been normal since. Hope this fix holds up!

Our invoice states:

Cause: Recall
V2443 11195 - Reprogram ECM

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
benzie said:
We just took our 2011 Equinox to the dealer for that start up noise. The noise was intermittent, happened several times a day, since day one. It sounded like a diesel for approx 2-3 seconds on start up. Disturbing!

Our service manager heard the noise once - thankfully. It was explained to us that the ECM needed reprogramming because it was sending wrong signals to the cam phaser/solenoid. Picked up the vehicle 2 days ago and all start up's have been normal since. Hope this fix holds up!

Our invoice states:

Hope this helps someone.
If this is truly the "fix", then it would be amazing that one dealer would know about it, and all the others don't.

:banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
28 Posts
RIT333 said:
If this is truly the "fix", then it would be amazing that one dealer would know about it, and all the others don't.

:banghead: :banghead:

I don't know what other dealers are doing, if anything. The dealership we purchased from said they never heard of this problem and since they were not any codes, all was well. We then went to another dealer and were told something entirely different and that there was a software update available for our problem. All I know it has never started normal for so long! No rattling, grinding diesel noise so far. I will update in a few days. I am hoping the numbers from my receipt I posted will help someone else.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just talked to a rep. with GM on friday..she told me they are still working on a solution..so who knows...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
simcoetruck said:
Do you have case with GM? I would be happy to look into this for you with your case number. Please contact me and I can take further steps. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
gwhaley262 said:
You know whats sad... My brand new 'now with 224Mi on the Odo does the same thing. I let the car sit for about 45min - 1hr tonight came back and it did it. But yeah weird that it only does it when it has sat. I know some one else has mentioned it sounds like oil has left a part of the engine but I agree. I'll wait to see if anyone else has success before I waste my time @ the dealer.
I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more assistance. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more assistance. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, a post further up this thread from Benzie references a Recall relating to the noise issue:

Is this correct? Is there a new recall on this issue? And is there a change in the recommendations for type of oil or frequency of oil changes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tdog said:
Tricia, a post further up this thread from Benzie references a Recall relating to the noise issue:

Is this correct? Is there a new recall on this issue? And is there a change in the recommendations for type of oil or frequency of oil changes?

Thanks.
It's day 5 for us without the obnoxious start-up noise. From what I was told by our service manager, this update was a 'bundle', which addressed several issues including ours.

21 - 40 of 944 Posts