GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 944 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have approx 2300 mi on my 2011 nox, live in Calif so it's basically warm, but upon initial startup in the morning it makes a rattle noise like there is no oil or something then goes away immediately. If you startup again it will not make this noise. It seems to do this whenever it has sat for more than 2hrs.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
seems this is becoming more common...I have the same issue on my 2011 I-4 Terrain...There are a couple other threads also discussing this.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Have you brought this concern to the attention of your local dealership? There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have only had my Equinox for about 1 month and it has 2000 miles on it and I have heard the same engine noise when I start it up after it has sat for some time. I also have the 4 cyclinder engine. Have you taken your Equinox in to the dealer yet. If so, what did they say?

·
Registered
978 Posts
7785ds said:
I have approx 2300 mi on my 2011 nox, live in Calif so it's basically warm, but upon initial startup in the morning it makes a rattle noise like there is no oil or something then goes away immediately. If you startup again it will not make this noise. It seems to do this whenever it has sat for more than 2hrs.
See if this thread "rings a bell"...

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2834.0

Before this ends up being a duplicate thread...if your issue is different by all means continue here

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have this same problem, I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago. I'm taking it in to the dealer on the first of june.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same problem, only 2800 miles. Took it to the dealer, but they can't seem to figure it out. Possibly the fuel injection is one theory they gave me. I can bring it back and leave my car for a lengthy period until they figure it out, not sure I want to do that at this point, since its random, if it gets worse maybe.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
7785ds said:
I have the same problem, only 2800 miles. Took it to the dealer, but they can't seem to figure it out. Possibly the fuel injection is one theory they gave me. I can bring it back and leave my car for a lengthy period until they figure it out, not sure I want to do that at this point, since its random, if it gets worse maybe.
I know that we have spoken regarding this concern previously. I would like to look into this further for you. Please feel free to contact me via private message so that I can verify your contact information. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:banghead:I purchased my 2011 nox in April and have nothing but problems with it. First when you inserted the key the car wouldn't start, then it stalled going down the hwy @ 65mph it also stalled in town traffic. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then went to get in it about a week later and it wouldn't start. Called on star and had it towed to dealership. Found open circuit in theft module, they replaced the module. Still having issues and they replaced the cam module. Now I have the noisy start up and a miss in the engine between 40-45mpr. Check engine light came on two days ago and took it right in to the dealership and they said the wiring to the transmission module wasn't connecting to the computer so they manipulated the wiring harness. I have been in contact with a gm case person and all they do is say they will document the issues. I have been to two different dealerships and neither on can figure out why . Car currently has 5500 miles on it. Has anyone else had these issues and has anyone else gotten to the bottom of the noisy start up and got it fixed. Thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
simcoetruck said:
:banghead:I purchased my 2011 nox in April and have nothing but problems with it. First when you inserted the key the car wouldn't start, then it stalled going down the hwy @ 65mph it also stalled in town traffic. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then went to get in it about a week later and it wouldn't start. Called on star and had it towed to dealership. Found open circuit in theft module, they replaced the module. Still having issues and they replaced the cam module. Now I have the noisy start up and a miss in the engine between 40-45mpr. Check engine light came on two days ago and took it right in to the dealership and they said the wiring to the transmission module wasn't connecting to the computer so they manipulated the wiring harness. I have been in contact with a gm case person and all they do is say they will document the issues. I have been to two different dealerships and neither on can figure out why . Car currently has 5500 miles on it. Has anyone else had these issues and has anyone else gotten to the bottom of the noisy start up and got it fixed. Thank you
I hope the "rigged" wiring harness is a temporary repair while you're waiting for a permanent fix. I'd be asking for a replacement vehicle by now if I were you.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
simcoetruck said:
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. In order to do so, I will need the case number. Please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2011 Chevy Nox had to be towed for the 2nd time to shop, wouldn't start again! What a mess, I have never encountered so many problems with a new car. After two days shop called and said car was fixed. Shop said new bulletin came out about the noisy start up and the part has been ordered, so we will see. They said the fuse was blown again so the car wouldn't start. This is the second time this has happened. Headed to shop this morning to get car and see if I can get some answers, will update when I get back (2hr drive one way) If I don't get answers soon I will be seeking legal action. I start a new job on Tuesday and can't afford to loose my job if this piece of s*** doesn't start again

24 Posts
simcoetruck,

I apologize for the problems you have been experiencing with your new vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

simcoetruck said:
2011 Chevy Nox had to be towed for the 2nd time to shop, wouldn't start again! What a mess, I have never encountered so many problems with a new car. After two days shop called and said car was fixed. Shop said new bulletin came out about the noisy start up and the part has been ordered, so we will see. They said the fuse was blown again so the car wouldn't start. This is the second time this has happened. Headed to shop this morning to get car and see if I can get some answers, will update when I get back (2hr drive one way) If I don't get answers soon I will be seeking legal action. I start a new job on Tuesday and can't afford to loose my job if this piece of s*** doesn't start again

·
Registered
6 Posts
simcoetruck said:
Got car back from shop, this is the 2nd time towed to shop and 7th time in the shop. They say the GDS2 had no communications with ECM and found 20-ECM fuse blown. This is the second time this fuse has blown in 2 weeks and the car had no power and had to be towed. As far as the noisy start up (diesel truck sound) they said GM sent out a bulletin to have a insulator installed over the fuel pump and the part is on order. GM states it's high fuel pressure causing this noise and no way to fix it, only quite it down??? So I have had this car stall at 65mpr and in town traffic, control modular wiring harness for the transmission not work, cam sensor replaced, theft module replaced and now the ecm fuse 2 x's hummmm sounds like a major wiring issue to me. I am almost positive the car will loose power again because they never figured out why the ecm fuse keeps blowing. I start my new job on Tuesday and will be very upset if I am late or stranded on the hwy again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dont get stranded for a fuse, carry some with you. Sounds like a wire may be rubbing against the car body somewhere and shorting it out. Seems as though they should be able to track it down.

If it happens again, look at the lemon laws, because they only have so many opportunities to fix a problem before they either replace the vehicle or give you a refund and you get something else. If that is something you are intrested in.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
2011LT2 said:
Dont get stranded for a fuse, carry some with you. Sounds like a wire may be rubbing against the car body somewhere and shorting it out. Seems as though they should be able to track it down.

If it happens again, look at the lemon laws, because they only have so many opportunities to fix a problem before they either replace the vehicle or give you a refund and you get something else. If that is something you are intrested in.
If a fuse keeps blowing there is some inherent problem that is causing it. I would let it happen a third time, and then lemon-law it. Personally, I would not replace the fuse myself. If the ECM or something else burns out after you replace a fuse, then the replacement ECM may be bought by you. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
246 Posts
RIT333 said:
If a fuse keeps blowing there is some inherent problem that is causing it. I would let it happen a third time, and then lemon-law it. Personally, I would not replace the fuse myself. If the ECM or something else burns out after you replace a fuse, then the replacement ECM may be bought by you. Just my $0.02
Its all covered in the bumper to bumper, replacing a fuse doesnt void a warranty. You can still bring the broken fuse to them and say it happened again. Its just as easy to blow a fuse and fake a problem. So its not like the dealer is going to care that you didnt get fired from the car leaving you stranded. If you like, you can even call On-star to report the problem and tell them the fuse blew again, and then put the new one in. As long as its the correct rating its fine. The ECM cannot fry itself unless the problem is in the ECM and then great you found the problem and replace it. You are allowed to change your own oil, that doesnt void your warranty. You can even modify the air intake system, isnt going to void your warranty. Me personally, I dont waste time on the side of the road.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is the "clatter" some people are hearing really loud so that you couldn't miss it? Would it be similar to the noise a loose rod would make? Why couldn't one of the GM people that monitor this forum get with the GM engineering department and maybe get some feedback on possible causes?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don B said:
Is the "clatter" some people are hearing really loud so that you couldn't miss it? Would it be similar to the noise a loose rod would make? Why couldn't one of the GM people that monitor this forum get with the GM engineering department and maybe get some feedback on possible causes?
Here is the racket it makes

MOV02058 (2).MPG

·
Registered
56 Posts
As I posted, the Chevrolet Dealer in my area, was indignant when the Cam Phaser was mentioned. "Too Low Mileage"! he snorted. He was 100% confident the computer updates will solve the problem. Where do you suppose the Chevrolet Customer Call Center is located. I am just curious. Detroit?:>)

1 - 20 of 944 Posts