GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're interested in picking up a 2010 Terrain for my wife's new car (quite a step up from a 1990 Ford Bronco II).

I've been doing a lot of research on this vehicle....videos, reviews, etc. While searching around YouTube I came across this video:

Walk Around 2010 GMC Terrain FWD SLE. Buy or Lease?

Holy cow, that 4-cylinder sounds kinda noisy. Fast forward to around 1:40 to really get a good listen. Sounds kinda like a little diesel in there.

Is that normal? So far we really like the Terrain but that's kind of disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Read up on direct injection and get used to the noise especially if you are going to be buying new. Also, that video is pretty loud in general. Id check one out in person. Ours can barely be heard with the windows down and parked next to two vehicles.

Translation: Its pretty normal. The gas is injected under such high pressure that what you are hearing is the actual injectors pulsating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe I'm not a true car guy, but that video doesn't bother me at all. Especially considering that I'll be inside the vehicle with noise cancellation and the windows up 80% of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if it might have something to do with DI or some other new-fangled tech.

It's not that I'm worried about hearing the noise, I was wondering if something might actually be mechanically wrong with it. I remember a few years ago when Chevy V8's had piston slap on brand new motors.

Anyway.....guess I shouldn't worry about it. Thanks!

We're really looking forward to seeing one of these in person. They're kinda scarce around these parts!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very very disturbing sound....Donna Summer.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The "like a diesel" has more to do with than you think. This is a very high compression engine, somewhat similar a diesel. So it will be louder than lower compression engines. It's what you trade to get great MPG.

Keep in mind this is why they added the active noise cancelling feature to the i4 based models too. Inside you won't hear the noise from the engine. It's extremely quiet for this level of vehicle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Narg said:
The "like a diesel" has more to do with than you think. This is a very high compression engine, somewhat similar a diesel. So it will be louder than lower compression engines. It's what you trade to get great MPG.

Keep in mind this is why they added the active noise cancelling feature to the i4 based models too. Inside you won't hear the noise from the engine. It's extremely quiet for this level of vehicle.
High compression at 11.4 but diesels start over 16.1 but this motor is noisy for sure but it returns good performance for what it is.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would be more worried about the sounds @ 1:55

1 - 8 of 8 Posts