GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my 2014 Terrain up this morning to find that the stereo system is completely broken. I cannot get sound out of my speakers from any inputs; AM/FM radio, USB, XM, nothing produces sound. I also notice that my blinker sounds to not have the "tick" noise anymore. No backup sensor warning noises either. The center console, all dash lights, everything else works perfectly. I can see what's playing on the stereo, the clock is right, etc.

Seeing as this is a holiday weekend, I don't have any hope of getting to a dealer until next week.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have any quick fixes for me to try? If anyone has had this and solved it - what should I tell the dealer to look at?

·
Registered
262 Posts
The center stack probably crapped out, they've been known to be flaky. My '13 will randomly lose all charcoal button features, while the silver buttons work fine. Luckily the truck has steering wheel controls also and those will still work when the others quit. Havnt found a fix for it yet, they will just start working again after one or two starting cycles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: Went to the dealer this morning. The guy plugged his diagnostic tool in and pushed the On-Star button while the car was in reverse. Magically, the On-Star voice came through the speakers and all sound returned. He told me something happened to cause the system to hang in limbo. Pushing the On-Star button with the car in reverse resets the connection between the console and the speakers. It was nothing hardware related. I was in and out in literally 10 minutes.

Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Great info.
Was the key in the switch, if so was the key in the off or run position.
Did he start and run the engine while in reverse?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rednox301 said:
Great info.
Was the key in the switch, if so was the key in the off or run position.
Did he start and run the engine while in reverse?
Yes - He had the key in the ignition, but I can't remember if the car was running at the time the sound returned. I'd like to say it wasn't, but he had it turned to "run."

He told me the reason for putting the car in reverse, was so the backup camera would turn on in the center console. Then pushing the On-Star button while the backup camera is on refreshes/reboots the audio part of the system. I don't know the specifics behind it, but it has something to do with the way the console sends sound to the speakers. I find it pretty crazy that even the standard car sounds, like blinker, backup camera beeps, etc could all stop functioning. You never put any thought when hearing those sounds, but as soon as they are gone, you miss them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much Pianoman178!

This just started today, I checked every fuse and read a lot online.

Then I found your post, 2 minutes later my audio works again!

Thank You!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For future reference, I turned the key but did not start the car.
Put it in reverse, pushed the onstar button multiple times. I even held it in for 10 seconds or so at one point.
Nothing was happening sound wise.
I noticed on the screen there was an option to "hang up" the onstar call.
I selected the option to hang up.

I then put the car back in park, turned the key off. Then started the car.
Suddenly the radio came on and the seat belt chime was dinging.
The problem was resolved. All thanks to Pianoman.

-2015 Chevrolet Equinox

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same issue

UPDATE: Went to the dealer this morning. The guy plugged his diagnostic tool in and pushed the On-Star button while the car was in reverse. Magically, the On-Star voice came through the speakers and all sound returned. He told me something happened to cause the system to hang in limbo. Pushing the On-Star button with the car in reverse resets the connection between the console and the speakers. It was nothing hardware related. I was in and out in literally 10 minutes.

I disconnected the battery this morning and reset it and worked, but this is the second time for me this is happening, the first time it fixed itself overnight when restarted in the am. thanks for sharing the fix and if happens again will try that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Equinox did the same thing. No sound from speakers. I looked at fuses and tried a couple things i had seen on different post with no relief. Then i sat in the car and was thinking maybe something in ignition. So i turn key off and on multiple times without starting it and then started it and it worked. Have no explanation it just fixed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 AWD Equinox did the same thing yesterday. Thank you so much Pianoman178!

This just started yesterday. Then I found your post, 2 minutes later my audio works again! This saved me a trip to the dealer.

Thank You!

·
Registered
633 Posts
My 2016 LTZ AWD did the same thing today. I tried all of the above...no workie!
There is a center stack software update, bring it in.
In my 'nox the HVAC band at the bottom of the screen gets wonky, dealer and engineering is aware of it and waiting on a fix but it's way better since the software update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you do?

Yes - He had the key in the ignition, but I can't remember if the car was running at the time the sound returned. I'd like to say it wasn't, but he had it turned to "run."

He told me the reason for putting the car in reverse, was so the backup camera would turn on in the center console. Then pushing the On-Star button while the backup camera is on refreshes/reboots the audio part of the system. I don't know the specifics behind it, but it has something to do with the way the console sends sound to the speakers. I find it pretty crazy that even the standard car sounds, like blinker, backup camera beeps, etc could all stop functioning. You never put any thought when hearing those sounds, but as soon as they are gone, you miss them!

This is happening to my car NOW.... I will have to try this when I go home tonight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 2015 chevy equniox and got in the vehile last night and there is no sound for blinkers or radio. Do I need to take it to the dealership??

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
No sounds at all

I have a 2019 equinox and this happened to me on Friday. Had dentist appt so i was going to go to the dealer afterwards. I got back in the car after dentist and everything came back on. If it happens again I'm going to try this before calling the dealer.
And for a twilight zone moment, my dentist told me it happened to his 2017 equinox too but it had lots of miles on it and he was trading it in anyway.

Weird.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just want to say thank for posting this. I tried it and it worked. I started the car, put it in reverse, and held Onstar for 10 seconds. The first couple of tries it didn't work, how eventually it did!!! Thank you again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts