GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Terrain Denali, periodically something happens to the infotainment center when switching modes and the sound stops, doesn't matter if you try radio, media, nav etc, just no sound. If you try and play with the volume you can visually see that it's changing in the display but you still can't hear anything. Happens every so many days and probably impossible to duplicate if I go to the dealer. Only way to fix it is to completely turn off the vehicle and then restart it, then the sound is back until next time. I have noticed it a lot (but not all the time) when I hang up my phone from a call. Phone is paired with infotainment center and works fine via BT. Anyone else having a similar issue or had it and got it fixed?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Only suggestion I can make is that if it happens again, take it to the dealer while it is happening and show someone there. Tell them it is hard to replicate and if you turn the car off and on, it will work again. At minimum, they should be able to record that it is happening and either be able to look at it then, or schedule you an appointment for service so they can look at it. Either way, if you get it documented and a recall or something comes down the line, you'll have a better chance of getting it fixed, or reimbursed if you had to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had a similar issue in mine, SLT no navigation. The other day after reversing putting the car in Drive the reverse camera stayed on and I had no radio function. I hope you we go away during the drive but after 10 minutes nothing happened and holding the power button on the radio or pressing any other buttons was futile. When I got to a stop light I put the car in reverse then Park then drive again with delays between each, no change. When I turned the vehicle off and opened the door when I got to work the reverse lines were still on the screen even though the vehicle was completely off and it was no longer in accessory mode. This has happened to me a couple times so I was able to get some video and I have a appointment tomorrow. See if they have any luck while they do my first included maintenance. I have seven thousand miles on the car at 6 months and really started in the last month.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2018 Denali as well; took delivery last Friday afternoon.

Yesterday I called OnStar because I was still getting the demo mode 4G LTE announcement.
They couldn't get it to go away after sending something to the vehicle. They were concerned the green light was still on and the announcement won't go away, so they opened a ticket (manual says solid green is normal).

This morning on the way to work, my infotainment system rebooted.
Phone connected via BT, radio tuned to FM, navigation active to see what route it would choose.

After the reboot AM and FM audio was lost.
Turning the vehicle off, opening the door, etc. did not bring the AM/FM audio back.
The OnStar demo mode audio is now garbled.

XM audio is working fine.

Not bad for owning the vehicle for 2.5 days...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just got ours this past Thursday, came out from dinner last night, no sound. turned it off/on, sound game back on.

Any known fix or TSB yet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve had my 2018 Denali for about 3 months. I’ve posted here about how wonky the Infotainment system is. Never know what’s gonna come up every time I start the vehicle. Yesterday, volume couldn’t be adjusted, stayed the same no matter what I did. Sure wish GM could get it right. 🤪

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The software is different, but are the head units the same?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got ours this past Thursday, came out from dinner last night, no sound. turned it off/on, sound game back on.

Any known fix or TSB yet?
Service writer told me there was an open recall for my infotainment center consisting of a software update. Have no issues with mine and plan to get the update when I get first oil change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Service writer told me there was an open recall for my infotainment center consisting of a software update. Have no issues with mine and plan to get the update when I get first oil change.
Looks like service writers can't agree....took my Denali in for the updates that Onstar notified me about and asked specifically about any updates for the infotainment system. He said he had no knowledge of any. Told him about the wonkiness of the system, he made a line on the repair order about it, said tech checked and could find nothing wrong (of course). Oh, and to make matters worse, the "Messages" app that was allowing me to receive texts doesn't work any more......:mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
18 Denali less than a week old, only 200 miles. First I couldn't play music from my usb. Found someone on the forum that had same problem. Had to change format to mp3 on about 1000 songs. Spent most of the day yesterday. Never had this problem in any other vehicle including my 2018 Enclave.

Got into vehicle this afternoon. Outside temp registered 100. Sitting in sun so I figured it will, adjust as the temps were in the mid 90's.
Plugged in my usb. Pressed the usb button on the radio. Went to menu and the screen was frozen. No matter what button I pressed, no response. Tried to switch to Sirius. Again no response. Drove away from home. Now the outside temp. shows 35. Stopped and restarted engine. Now radio/usb works yet temp remained at 35.

Drove about 60 miles playing usb music. Got close to destination and now the music just stopped. Again, no matter what button I pressed, the system didn't respond. Shut off radio. About a minute later got some sort of message stating that Android was maximizing space. No clue what that was about. My Android phone was not connected to the vehicle. Stopped at the store After reentering the vehicle, my temp now registers a more realistic 95 deg., which is obviously correct. System also seems to be ok. What kind of a weird is this? Any ideas? Of course, if I took it to the dealer, they wouldn't find anything wrong.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
18 Denali less than a week old, only 200 miles. .

Taking it to the dealer ASAP is abut the best choice. It is a brand new vehicle. No one here is going to be able to fix it for you. Sometimes things go awry and that is what the warranty is for If your dealer balks, take it to any other GM dealer and politely explain the issue,

Keep taking it back or even drive right there when it happens to show the service writer/adviser.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just joined this site hoping to find any updates to this issue.

My wife drives our 2018 GMC Terrain as her daily driver. It was purchased in April of this year. Love it for the most part, but a few months or so back the Infotainment system started acting up. Like others on here, its pretty random about how its going to act, but it pretty much does act up every single morning when my wife takes it to drop off the kids and head to work. Some times the radio just might now make any sound, or some times there might be sound but no push button response and/or touch screen response. Sometimes it will say tuner unavailable, and other times the backup camera (as she backs out of her garage each day) will just stay stuck on.

Typically, once the car has been running for a long while, or when turned off, and then turned back on later in the day, the system will work fine, which makes this whole thing even stranger.

Anyone come across a fix yet for this? It sounds as though GM has been aware of this for a long while.

One last note...An over the air (internet) update did come through a few months ago also, and it was some time after that, that these issues seemed to have popped up, but not immediately, so I'm not convinced the software update is the issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I too have been having a radio issue with my 2018 Terrain Denali. It started after the OTA software update a couple of months ago. Every now and then, it's random but approximately 25% of the time, there is no radio volume after vehicle startup. Twisting the volume control shows a change in the volume status bar, so apparently the vehicle thinks that the radio is on. What I have discovered is that if I simply press the "RADIO" button on the center console, the radio volume will return. Also, if the no volume condition is maintained (ie. I don't press the "RADIO" button) until the vehicle is turned off, on the next startup the radio volume will likely be normal.

The vehicle was at the dealer for regular maintenance yesterday, and the radio issue was looked at. Of course they were not able to reproduce the problem. They did reapply the software update. Not unexpectedly, yesterday's update did not resolve the issue as I had no volume when I started the vehicle last night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply jerrymander.

Yeah, our issues didn't happen until after the OTA update also, but it wasn't immediately after. I'd say it was at least a few weeks or longer, which is why I'm not completely convinced it was from that update...but seems plausible. Our issue happens almost 100% of the time, in the mornings. When the Terrain is started up later in the day it seems to work alright, but if it sits over-night, then the issue happens again. Like I said before...exactly how it will act is completely random....no sound, no screen, no response, backup camera stuck on, or any combination of those things.

The only time it actually worked correctly one morning was while we was away on a short trip, and I had the navigation screen on.

If I happen to get lucky and come across a fix I'll be sure to update these threads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Other than the sound being absent periodically after engine startup, the rest of the infotainment system (nav, backup camera, etc.) has been working normal.

I talked to the guy at the dealer that I dealt with the other day to let him know that reapplying the software update did not resolve the issue - it failed that same night. He suggested that I remove all Bluetooth paired phones from the infotainment system, and remove the Terrain from all of the paired phones. Then re-pair the phones with the infotainment system. I did that and so far have not noticed a problem. But since the problem occurs for me so randomly, I'll give it a couple of weeks to even think about declaring victory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 Terrain Denali, periodically something happens to the infotainment center when switching modes and the sound stops, doesn't matter if you try radio, media, nav etc, just no sound. If you try and play with the volume you can visually see that it's changing in the display but you still can't hear anything. Happens every so many days and probably impossible to duplicate if I go to the dealer. Only way to fix it is to completely turn off the vehicle and then restart it, then the sound is back until next time. I have noticed it a lot (but not all the time) when I hang up my phone from a call. Phone is paired with infotainment center and works fine via BT. Anyone else having a similar issue or had it and got it fixed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts