GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a reason the GM did not put a drain hole in the cowling that is under the windshield wipers.
I only had the 11 Terrain for 3 months now and I would think that in the winter that this area will build up with ice.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hi ,

wondered the same **** thing !!! 2 little drain holes(1 at each end of cowl) . Yes , I am in a "Snow" belt and you will not believe how much
snow can pack in around the blades ! HVAC intake is part under the hood , so air flow was ok , just very misty inside til air dried up . :beer:

·
Registered
698 Posts
There are actually two drain holes - one under each wiper. I find that they tend to clog easily though... with built up dirt, small twigs, etc. Mine is parked outside 95% of the time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Terrain

I did not take that close of a look before.
The issue that I have is with water pooling under the passenger wiper blade.
There is no drain in that area and it holds a fair bit of water.
Not any more though!
I just drilled is 13/64 hole just to the left of the window washers nozzle.
This is the same size as the holes under the wiper drive shafts.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
where you drilled your holes....did you look underneath to see where it will drain to?

·
Registered
482 Posts
rbarrios said:
where you drilled your holes....did you look underneath to see where it will drain to?
I wondered that also. Maybe there is a reason they didn't put a drain hole there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same thing here,there is a low spot in the cowling,away from the holes that would collect water. That is one of my pet peeves with vehicles,there is always a collection point for water,whether it be a flat surface or window/door channels etc... it will always show up after a good cleaning/drying.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the delay away for awhile.
The location that I drilled the hole in the cowling is above the sheet metal that forms the passenger compartment .
The water can go either left or right along this area ( it is the same piece of metal that goes under the factory drain holes )
All the water runs down and ends up on the ground behind the engine Just as it does with the factory holes.
I don't foresee any issues as the area around the cowling is not water tight to begin with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts