GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here are my nitpicks on the 19' Premier Diesel AWD

The ambient light in the dashboard over the glove box should have been blue to match the rest of the interior instead of white. Everyone thinks my glove box is open.

While it rides better than my mother's 18' CRV, I still wish it was smoother.

The steering wheel buttons on the Terrain are easier to identify than the Chevrolet ones.

The radar cruise control and lane keep assist is no where near as refined as the CRV system.

Otherwise I still love the suv!

·
Registered
208 Posts
We probably would have bought a CRV if it would tow 3,000 lbs. The pilot is too big. I love honda cars though. Interesting that you think the premier rides better than the CRV. For sure our terrain denali is quieter than a crv inside the cabin which suprised me. I'm not sure if the denali gets extra sound deadening material but it's a very quiet ride. I'm happy with the lane keep assist on the terrain. It's not obtrusive at all and provides just the right amount of nudge to keep you in your lane if have a lapse of attention.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We probably would have bought a CRV if it would tow 3,000 lbs. The pilot is too big. I love honda cars though. Interesting that you think the premier rides better than the CRV. For sure our terrain denali is quieter than a crv inside the cabin which suprised me. I'm not sure if the denali gets extra sound deadening material but it's a very quiet ride. I'm happy with the lane keep assist on the terrain. It's not obtrusive at all and provides just the right amount of nudge to keep you in your lane if have a lapse of attention.
For sure the GM suv twins are more quite than the CRV. The CRV has better steering, the ride quality is close but my Equinox is a little better. CRV has more room inside but the Equinox has superior lighting, infotainment, and sound system. Add to that the pano roof and heated rear seats and it was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I typically don't go for sunroofs but when I saw the panoramic sunroof on the terrain, I had to have it.. Back seat passengers get to enjoy it way more than driver or co-pilot

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That's odd, my sun visors have cutouts in the headliner making it easier to pull down the visors.
I just wanted to revise my observation regarding the reliefs molded into the headliner to assist in deploying the sun visors:

I previously suggested that there were none.

There are indeed provisions molded into the headliner to allow your fingers to gain access, just not as much as some other GM vehicles. I sometimes have to try a couple times to get my fingers under it to pull it down.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I typically don't go for sunroofs but when I saw the panoramic sunroof on the terrain, I had to have it.. Back seat passengers get to enjoy it way more than driver or co-pilot
Are these panoramic sunroofs made of laminated or tempered glass, and do they have an airbag?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I admit I thought about the potential safety hazard of having just a thin sheet of tempered glass over most of the roof of the car. That being said, GM panoramic sunroof glass failures are a small fraction of the reported issues. From available data, Hyndai and Kia have the most problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My '19 Equinox is white. The gap around the rear of the RR door is...well, surprising. I noticed this before we even left the dealership and I notice it every time I walk up to the car.

I've posted here before about rattles.

The worst was the groaning when anyone was in the rear seat and pulling away from a stop or making a turn. I made an appointment saying the noise was from the "second seat" and that it could be reproduced by opening the rear door and pushing down on the seat cushion. Dealer had the car all day, never called; when I picked it up got a 'Could Not Duplicate' invoice discussing the right-front passenger seat. Sigh. "Second seat" to me meant 'second row'; dealer interpreted it as right-front passenger seat. Wish they'd have called me.

Made another appointment. They lubed hinges but also said they found many broken pieces of chinaware down there. Interesting as we never had any broken pieces on the seat; further, only had passengers about five times in the rear seat and probably three were me and the remainder our daughter and her husband. Dealer left the largest piece they found in the cupholder. It was a color and pattern we had never seen before. Had to have happened on the line (Ingersoll) or somehow in the dealer trade (dealer's name on the sticker is not where we bought it).

Anyway, the seat groaning is now fixed but ride in the back seat, pull away from a stop, and you hear a very noticeable plasticky vibration sound. Nothing in the back of the vehicle. In fact, over a bump, the tailgate makes other noises but this buzzy vibration sound bugs me. Back to the dealer.

This, and the road noise, are very disappointing. I have bought 15 new Chevrolets and in 2017 bought three pre-owned 2015 Chevrolets from two Chevrolet dealers. This Equinox is the noisiest Chevy I've ever owned. They're very popular; I assume they've been cranking them out as quickly as possible.

Anybody here ride in the BACK SEAT of their Equinox and hear the buzzes and other noises that seem to generate around the tailgate? Thanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
AuditorBill---I ride occasionally in the back seat (right rear) and have never heard any plastic vibration sounds in that area (or any other location). I agree, the Equinox transmits a LOT of road noise--more than I have experienced in regular passenger cars. I attribute the noise to the open cargo area behind the second row seats, although I never experienced noise at that level when I owned/drove Pontiac Transports and Oldsmobile Silhouettes. I'm sure its a "cost saving" measure as well as a weight reduction effort in order to increase fuel mileage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Answer - The engineer that got a bonus for cheaply increasing CAFE with an added bonus for selling additional parts and services down the road...after the warranty has expired. A win-win for GM and a lose-lose for Mr. Customer :devil:
Actually kind of a cheap shot for you. I guess the "evil engineer" mythology is alive and well.

It really isn't hard to do a little research to discover how much development, how many parts have to be upgraded/added to implement the stop/start function. The starter motor design changes required alone are very interesting. Try it sometime and see if you still think some lazy engineer got a "bonus" for "cheaply increasing CAFE".

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Actually kind of a cheap shot for you. I guess the "evil engineer" mythology is alive and well.

It really isn't hard to do a little research to discover how much development, how many parts have to be upgraded/added to implement the stop/start function. The starter motor design changes required alone are very interesting. Try it sometime and see if you still think some lazy engineer got a "bonus" for "cheaply increasing CAFE".

Sorry for not putting in a LOL. My comments were meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

My apologies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for not putting in a LOL. My comments were meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

My apologies.
OK, but I would rather see some acknowledgement on this forum that people just you and me develop these features and not because they don't have better things to do.

Like the stop/start or hate it, I don't care. But if you start stripping out all of the new tech I see getting complained about here, I'm not sure you would like the vehicle left for you to drive. The government doesn't say "Well, if you can't meet the standards because the customers don't like what it takes, I guess that's OK". Uncle Sam is perfectly fine with us getting little crap boxes. Some of our esteemed legislators would prefer it that way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
-Adaptive cruse control in bumper to bumper traffic is great.

Yes it is but you cant seem to turn it off and just use the regular cruise if you wanted to, all you need is somebody doing 80k in front of you and the left lane bandit doing 85 k to drive you nuts. If you get snow on the front corner the lidar does not work and all the system shuts down. I know you would be wondering why use cruise in the snow but where I live, snow is on the ground for half the year with the other half being two months of bad skiing weather. The other nice thing about adaptive is the bugwit deciding to take the exit lane at the last minute and slowing right down on the right lane and then watch your red display start flashing and warning.
in my 2020 GMC Denali if you hold down the cruise disable button on steering wheel and hold it for 2 seconds you can switch to regular cruise control if you wish.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Someone else earlier in the post suggested to hold down the cruise disable button, but it did not work, it must be for the 19 and up Terrains and Noxes with this feature.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Someone else earlier in the post suggested to hold down the cruise disable button, but it did not work, it must be for the 19 and up Terrains and Noxes with this feature.
I wasn't aware that Adaptive Cruise Control was available in the 2018 Terrains, like yours and mine. I didn't remember that as an option when I was researching vehicles. Curious, I checked my Owner's Manual but couldn't find any mention of it. I then thought that maybe it was a Canadian thing, but my Owner's Manual indicates that it's a US/Canada edition.

On my '18 Terrain Denali, the "Adaptive" Cruise Control works with a slight thumb press on the +RES or -SET buttons as needed. :grin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you done this? How do you remove it?
Lift the rug back
Remove the block of foam
Drive around for a few weeks to flatten the rug as best as possible
It will not be perfect so you will need to lift it again and trim the insulation under the rug where it gets bunched up

Not the easiest or prettiest job but you left leg will thank you in the long run

·
Registered
118 Posts
Seems to be software a bug

If the adaptive cruse control disables it self because of poor viability you can not switch to regular unless you stop shut of the vehicle l and start it again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm very happy with the '19 Redline but since the topic is picking nits here are mine;

1. If I get out of the vehicle and leave the keys in it or sometimes even leave it running and get out the damned horn beeps 5 times announcing to anyone within a half mile range that here's a car you can steal. I would like to defeat that nonsense. It's my car, I'm making the payments and if I want to let it run while I open a gate I should be able to without the nagging horn beeps.
2. Put the car in drive and the doors lock. I'd like to have that choice myself... Like when I'm driving through a bad neighborhood.
3. A very short run cycle with remote start. Barely warms the car up or melts the ice on the windshield.
4. The damned back seat reminder chime
5. Icy Roads possible whenever the temperature is below freezing.

I realize that chimes and nagging, doors that lock are probably on every new vehicle but it would be nice to be able to disable it if the owner chooses to live dangerously.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts