GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get the idea that I don't like my 2019 Equinox, I do; but there are a few things that I wish were thought through prior to production.

The number one item is the cruise control switch on the steering wheel. I really dislike the touchpad type of control switches, as they are difficult to identify day or night without actually looking at the steering wheel. The Sonic that was my prior daily driver had a rocker type switch that can easily be identified by feel, and can quickly be actuated without looking for it. My 2016 Equinox has the rocker switch as does the new Blazer. Why change something that was functionally superior to something that is less user friendly?

Another item that I miss, that was incorporated in the Sonic is the finger relief in the headliner to access the sun visors. The Equinox doesn't have this, and the sun visors are a little more difficult to get a finger under them to pull them down.

Lastly, I'm not really excited about the HID headlamps on my 2019. Again, my Sonic that was half the cost of my Equinox has superior lighting with separate halogen high and low beam lamp assemblies.

Overall I really like the Equinox; I just am a little disappointed that another GM vehicle that I had prior to this one, that cost half as much, has features and functionality I feel superior to my new Equinox.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I'll agree with the cruise switch, and maybe the sun visor, but when you have only those things to gripe about, it's got to be a pretty good car, huh ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll agree with the cruise switch, and maybe the sun visor, but when you have only those things to gripe about, it's got to be a pretty good car, huh ?
Yes, like the title says; I'm just nitpicking. The gen3 Equinox is a fine vehicle overall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Things I could nitpick about on mine would be:
*The steering wheel doesn't extend far enough out for my linking,

*the top of the door panel where I like to rest my left arm isn't wide enough for my elbow
*there is no visual indicator on the gauge cluster that the car is in AWD
*there is no had button to turn traction control / stabilitrak off

*really wide turning radius, this replaced a 2016 Malibu that turned much tighter but was a longer vehicle...

*the Koren made 19" tires suck in the wet
All in all I very pleased with the car but, if I had to pick a few things I didn't like, there ya go!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 5 cents (no pennies in Canada)

-Metal trim on Heated steering wheel is not heated. Have you ever put bare skin on -10 degree metal)
-Seat front tilt not high enough for 6'1"" person (Fortunately a few washers fixed that)
-No Blind spot Mirror (Had to add my own) BS light is not perfect but helps at night
-Rear wiper blade too small (Replaced with a 15 inch and a little filing of the cover)
-Sound system sucks (too much distorted base and no mid range.) Replaced speakers and crank the mid rage to +12db and low to -12 to get finally get flat response.
-Low beam LED are good by High beam are lacking. Found a set of LED floods which will fit nicely behind the grill.
-No visor tint on front window. Fortunately visor tint kits are easy to put.
-No air deflect to keep rear window clean. I am working on an idea to fix that by raising the spoiler.
-Poor turning circle.(But I was spoiled since my last car was a Volvo that would turn on a dime)

Fortunately the above can mostly be fixed but the good things are there already.
-Well matched 9 speed with great power from the 2.0 T
-Very good handling suspension (I find the 19" Hankooks above average wet and dry)
-Adaptive cruse control in bumper to bumper traffic is great.
-Cruse control buttons are not the best but the "Hold and Step 5 kph (or mph) per second" is great. Just press count to 2 Mississippi and your speed changed 10 kph
-Great surround camera system. (Too bad they did not integrate dash cam security with them)

Bottom line the Equinox is Great and fun to drive. And it was $10k less then I paid for my Volvo 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Ha! Some of the same complaints as the Gen2! My 2011 has a ridiculously wide turn radius. Not the end of the world once you realize and remember, though. And the radio *still* sucks
My 2011 sounds like it’s being played through a pillow, the bass bottoms out, and highs are lousy. But again - not the end of the world, just disappointing.

The steering wheel on these things telescopes? Do the pedals do the same thing - because they’d have to to make it fully functional, right?

I see nobody has mentioned a dash button to disable auto START/STOP. That might become a latent complaint when it starts to malfunction...

·
Registered
185 Posts
-Adaptive cruse control in bumper to bumper traffic is great.

Yes it is but you cant seem to turn it off and just use the regular cruise if you wanted to, all you need is somebody doing 80k in front of you and the left lane bandit doing 85 k to drive you nuts. If you get snow on the front corner the lidar does not work and all the system shuts down. I know you would be wondering why use cruise in the snow but where I live, snow is on the ground for half the year with the other half being two months of bad skiing weather. The other nice thing about adaptive is the bugwit deciding to take the exit lane at the last minute and slowing right down on the right lane and then watch your red display start flashing and warning.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Another item that I miss, that was incorporated in the Sonic is the finger relief in the headliner to access the sun visors. The Equinox doesn't have this, and the sun visors are a little more difficult to get a finger under them to pull them down.

That's odd, my sun visors have cutouts in the headliner making it easier to pull down the visors.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The steering wheel on these things telescopes? Do the pedals do the same thing - because they’d have to to make it fully functional, right?

Yep, nope !

RTFM - just kidding ! I think you probably just forgot !

·
Registered
47 Posts

Unfortunately the pedals are not adjustable... I have that feature on my Silverado and it's quite nice..

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 5 cents (no pennies in Canada)
-No air deflect to keep rear window clean. I am working on an idea to fix that by raising the spoiler.
So I'm not a huge fan of the whole kit, but someone made a body kit that fits the Gen3 Equinox, and it has a longer spoiler on it, which you can buy separetly, and see in this pic:

Anyhow - the full kit is located here. Dunno if that'd solve your problem with the spoiler. Here's the actual link to the spoiler itself:
https://airdesignusa.com/2017-equinox-roof-spoiler.html (edit: sorry - updating incorrect link, this one is right)

-RK

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the link but a spoiler is good for gas mileage and handling (if you ever go fast enough to have any significant effect). By causing a vortex behind the car some how.

I have discovered rising the spoiler and turning it into an air scoop is what works to keep the window clean. I have a separate thread with my successful testing results. I will be playing with it this summer to find the optimum height before water and rust proofing it for winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure why they missed this, the 2019 Nox has no adjustable seat belt (at least not on AWD LT). Nothing like cutting your neck on the strap. When GM puts them in a cheaper Cruze and Trax, why would they skip them in an Equinox?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I LOVE my 2019 Kinetic Blue baby...but there are a couple of things (okay four) that make me nuts:
1) The chrome trim around the shifter is blinding in the sun. I seriously keep a towel in the car to cover it.
2) The hitch cover will not stay on. I have never used the hitch, nor taken it off...but since it wants to fall off now I have and it lives in the trunk
3) No switch for that stupid Stop/Start (there. I said it.) :)
4) While handy, the hidey-hole for the umbrella would be super neat if the umbrella would not slide OUT!

With all those nit-picky things pointed out I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Nox. It's leaps and bounds above my 2018 (RIP) that I totaled in January. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its in the door under the arm wrest on both sides of the door. When your sitting in it, there is a cup holder in the door there should be a little hot stamped umbrella logo by that cup holder in the door. It slides into that horizontally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I put a small piece of black Velcro on the handle end of a collapsible umbrella and put the other piece of Velcro in the back of the hole and the umbrella usually stays in the hole.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts