GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Nice new 2020 -- lovely, but . . . . .

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  OHHEY 
#1 ·
All of my "issues" with the new car relate to the entertainment center. The URL plug-in is terrible to reach and there is only one of them to connect to the radio. I transferred my favorite CDs to flash drives. Those work, but you can't control what plays -- it seems to be entirely random. Also, if you want to use Android Auto you have no place to plug in your phone if you have a flash drive plugged in. I'm going to try a splitter, but I don't believe that will work.

Second issue -- if you play music on the radio, the system displays the name of the artist and the song, but the display of this information (only) is very light and very hard to read. I find no way to adjust it. You can adjust the overall display, but not this specific information.

#2 ·
Playing music off of the USB port can be challenging. Usually, the radio will play songs alphabetically, not in an order you like. There are ways to get around or control that. . but time consuming. When I copy CDs to USB I number each song in the order I want them played. I add a 1 . . . in front of the song for track 1. . . 2 for the song track 2. ETC
There are other ways and even editing software that can do it for you , but then there is the learning curve for that and sometimes that does not work in all cases.

#3 ·
Convert your library to MP3s and load in all the Song, artist Album genre info then you can play by any of those.
To make play lists just make extra copy of the songs into a folder and play the folder. OR
Just create M3U play lists

I did this prework on my PC in a single folder and back it up . When done just copy to flash drive for the car.

(It is more complicated but takes a lot less time then when I had to copy vinyl over to tape for my old cars)

#4 ·
Also, if you want to use Android Auto you have no place to plug in your phone if you have a flash drive plugged in. I'm going to try a splitter, but I don't believe that will work.
I don't know what trim level you have ...but the 2018 LT we have...we have a usb port in the storage box next to the driver and 2 ports under the back seat aircon vent.

#6 ·
If you have a 2020 you should have regular USB and Usb c. You can plug you phone into the USB-c with a cable or adapters from Micro usb to usb c if your phone is not usb c. Or use the ones in the center console for phone or usb music. You also should be able to play music randomly and also say a artist and it can find if its labeled correctly.

#7 ·
All of my "issues" with the new car relate to the entertainment center. The URL plug-in is terrible to reach and there is only one of them to connect to the radio. I transferred my favorite CDs to flash drives. Those work, but you can't control what plays -- it seems to be entirely random. Also, if you want to use Android Auto you have no place to plug in your phone if you have a flash drive plugged in. I'm going to try a splitter, but I don't believe that will work.

Second issue -- if you play music on the radio, the system displays the name of the artist and the song, but the display of this information (only) is very light and very hard to read. I find no way to adjust it. You can adjust the overall display, but not this specific information.
Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) is the way to go for music. Flash drives only work for small collections and they are a hassle to deal with. Nobody needs that kind of distraction while driving. I would suggest getting all your music on the phone and using the screen to control it. In my case I have over 12,000 songs so flash wouldn't work. Using Apple CarPlay everything works smoothly and quickly using the power in the phone. The car unit just acts as a remote control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.