GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2010 Terrain, SLT-1, with the V-6. 18000 miles, and priced about 4k below book. I'm wondering if there are any "oddities" I should look for during a test drive. Any clunks, whines, groans, etc. that I might just brush off as normal for this model. I know it sounds odd, but having never driven one, I'd hate to find out *after* buying it, that something I thought was normal wasn't.

FWIW, were trading a 2003 Yukon SLT. It's been a great car, but has really started showing it's age in the last year. Still clean as a whistle, but I just replaced the fuel pump a few months ago, now there's a tell tale groan of a wheel bearing. Just put a new blower resistor in it tonight, and after backing it out of the garage...coolant drips on the garage floor from the water pump. So it's time to go, and a local Ford dealer has this Terrain on his lot. Looks clean from what I can see that's not covered with snow.

Also, when I drive it I'm gonna take a look at the DIC to get a glimpse of what kind of mileage it's been getting. Usually not the most accurate barometer I know, but it's all I got. Do the DIC's on these come *reasonably* close to actual mileage? I'm a bit concerned because it seems like mileage is all over the place on the Terrain...much like everything from GM, you either get a "good one", or a "not so good one". My driver is an 04 Duramax, and it gets great mileage, my buddy has the same truck, and his mileage is garbage...so I'd like to hedge my bets if I can, prior to laying out the cash.

This will be my wife's daily driver and she commutes about 40 miles daily...

Thanks-
-Curt

·
Registered
949 Posts
While you are test driving, the best you can do for estimating mileage is this...

Get settled in the car, if you want to test out the city mpg, while stopped, reset the "avg mpg" on the DIC, then start driving. This won't be very good at giving you an honest estimate unless you do about 20 min of driving, depends on your dealer I guess.

If you want to test the highway mpg, get the DIC set to the "avg mpg" screen, get on a road where you can go about 55 mph (safely, of course), and once you get up to speed, reset the "avg mpg" screen on the DIC, and set the cruise at 55. Drive a few miles, and you should have a pretty good estimate of typical hwy mileage. Very important to repeat this at YOUR typical hwy mileage. Meaning, if you usually drive 70 on the hwy where you live, then do the above at that speed as well. This is mostly because there is sometimes a significant change from 60 mph to 70 mph. Just by a few mpg's usually, which should be expected, but if it happens to be WAY lower, then I guess it could be an indicator of something else. Good to check it out though just so you know what you are getting as far as mileage goes. You could always ask to have the transmission reflashed also, so that it relearns according to YOUR driving habits (assuming you purchase the vehicle).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sumr616 said:
You could always ask to have the transmission reflashed also, so that it relearns according to YOUR driving habits (assuming you purchase the vehicle).

Thanks for the reply, an great tip on the tranny reflash...thx!

·
Registered
67 Posts
my dad gave me his 2010 Terrain with 30K on it...only thing I noticed is a weird squeaking noise coming from the back...seems to be when taking slow turns. Can't explain it. I have to go to GMC soon and should have them listen but I'm sure it wont do it then. It can't be normal either. I only have 6K left on my warranty :(

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
vice86 said:
my dad gave me his 2010 Terrain with 30K on it...only thing I noticed is a weird squeaking noise coming from the back...seems to be when taking slow turns. Can't explain it. I have to go to GMC soon and should have them listen but I'm sure it wont do it then. It can't be normal either. I only have 6K left on my warranty :(
Sounds like the Emergency Brake Cable - common problem, and an easy fix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
RIT333 said:
Sounds like the Emergency Brake Cable - common problem, and an easy fix.
good to know...what exactly would it be so I sound like I know what the heck I'm talking about when I tell the GMC service guy about it? Just to check the EBC cuz there's a sqeak its making in the back?

I noticed it even more when I had a lot of crap in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
vice86 said:
good to know...what exactly would it be so I sound like I know what the heck I'm talking about when I tell the GMC service guy about it? Just to check the EBC cuz there's a sqeak its making in the back?

I noticed it even more when I had a lot of crap in the rear cargo area.
Try a search.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. One thing I'm bummed to learn is that the 2010 can not be satellite started...and after reading how poor the factory remote starter performs, it might just be a deal breaker. Of course there is always the option to go aftermarket, but this seems really senseless on a car already equipped with auto-start. However, it might be a solid alternative since we've informally started to look at some 2011 models and they are priced CONSIDERABLY higher than the 2010 we were looking at (4-7k)...all the while having SLE trim instead of SLT, I-4 instead of V-6 and carrying nearly twice the mileage.

So I guess my question is: Were there any SIGNIFICANT changes from 2010 to 2011 that should sway my decision...besides the fore mentioned remote start? A reliable remote start is a big deal...24 below here this morning...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The following are some changes from the 2010 Terrain to the 2011 model year:

Deletions
(GBA) Onyx Black
(GBX) Atlantic Blue Metallic
(GCD) Summit White

New Features
(LFW) 3.0L V6 SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) 264 hp [196.8 kW] @ 6950 rpm, 222 lb-ft [299.7 N-m] @ 5100 rpm) E85 FlexFuel Capable with (FE9) Federal emissions only.
(GLB) Steel Blue Metallic
(GAZ) Olympic White
OnStar, 6 months of Directions and Connections plan
(QMU) Tires, P235/60R17 all-season, blackwall

Highlights
Bold exterior design
Drivetrain:
Segment-leading fuel economy: 22 city/32 highway
Available FWD or AWD
Standard 2.4L I-4 SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) delivers 182 hp
Available (LFW) 3.0L DOHC, V6 SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) E85 capable 264 hp [196.8 kW] @ 6950 rpm, 222 lb-ft [299.7 N-m] @ 5100 rpm)
6-speed automatic transmission
Premium Content:
Best-in-class second row leg room
Adjustable second row with 8" travel fore/aft
Standard rearview camera system
Available rear seat DVD system with dual seatback DVD
Available remote vehicle start
Available programmable power liftgate
Standard 17" painted aluminum wheels
Available 18" bright machined aluminum wheels
Available 19" chrome clad wheels
Safety:
Six standard air bags
Standard StabilTrak with Traction Control

I hope this helps you with your decision making. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
vice86 said:
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress and contact me with any questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
The following are some changes from the 2010 Terrain to the 2011 model year:

<snip a lot of good info>
Thanks Tricia! Appreciate the info...FWIW, I think I'm going to skip on the 2010 I was looking at, and may just go ahead and spring for a 2012. The more time I spend researching the Terrain, the more I seem to like it. The wife is really gonna miss her Yukon, but I think a new Terrain will be the right medicine...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You will find some nice stuff thats new on the 2012 from the 2011!!..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW, we ended up getting a 2012, V6 AWD. With all the available preferred pricing and discounts from GM, it ended up costing only slightly more than the asking price for the 2010...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts