GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC Terrain SLE with Elevation Package
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a new Terrian owner from New York (I actually pick up the vehicle 2/23/2021). I test drove and love it (SLE trim with Elevation Package). The only downside to it so far for me at least is the manual passenger seat and no leather (SLT was out of my price range). I have watched a few video reviews on the Terrain and read a few but I am looking to hear from some actual Terrain owners. The car I am coming from is a 2010 BME 535ix.

Anyhow, I am looking for the below also:

Some kind of seat covers for the back seat. I have a 2-year-old and I want something that will catch all the crumbs from her food and snacks and splashes from her juice. I saw this on Amazon but I am not sure if it is any good. What are you guys using? I was looking at this Seat Covers.

Also is there any kind of device that goes between the seat and the armrest console that can catch dropped food, crumbs, and items that fall out of your pocket? The underside of my Bimmer looks GROSS with all the lost candy, french fries, etc. I'd like to not do that this time around.

Does it truly need 91 or 93 gas? or can I use 87?

Has anyone changed their head unit to something Android-based up upgraded it to something with navigation?
Any other interior tech upgrades anyhow have done.

Well I will be around for a while I have read the Terrain is pretty reliable and it shouldn't give me much if any trouble the first 3 or 4 years and long as I take care of her.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Wife and I have Android phones, and we are able to "project" our phones screen onto the infotainment screen, sol we use either Waze or Google Maps and see no need for a factory Nav.

Can't help with the rear seat cover, but I know that GM offers a factory cover. No idea how good it is.

As far as grade of gas, the 1.5L is fine with sipping 87 octane, but the 2.0L recommends Premium fuel. However, many have fed it Regular gas without it complaining. BTW, the 1.5L gets excellent fuel mileage, but it will be no where as much fun as your BMW probably was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats on your new ride.

Try this for your front seat problem. It was on shark tank. Note this is Amazon Canada.

We are in similar situations. Had our 2020 black sle for a month now. Also have a 4 year old and wanted leather for the same spillage reason, but price was getting out of what we wanted to pay so cloth it is. Son loves the panoramic sunroof though.

Mine has navigation, but with android auto it's not really needed anyway.

What engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to jump on the Terrain this month with the GMC rebates for the month of February.
I decided for the rear seats the factory GMC seat covers.. They cost $285.00. I think that is the first thing to do and wisest investment. For the front seats I'm looking at some.stuff 9m ebay.
the engine is 1.5 Turbo. I dont need anything fast being a SUV and I won't be hauling anything with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nordnerb I found that on regular Amazon. That is what I am looking for.
Was looking at these to use on the front seats only.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Katzkin makes excellent leather seat covers! They’re not covers that just go over your cloth seats, the upholstery shop removes the factory cloth seat and replaces them with the Katzkin leather covers. Fit every bit as good as the factory leather. I paid about $1K to upgrade my interior to Katzkin leather back in 2015. If you want leather without all of the other option GM makes you upgrade to to get leather, it’s a great choice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Katzkin makes excellent leather seat covers! They’re not covers that just go over your cloth seats, the upholstery shop removes the factory cloth seat and replaces them with the Katzkin leather covers. Fit every bit as good as the factory leather. I paid about $1K to upgrade my interior to Katzkin leather back in 2015. If you want leather without all of the other option GM makes you upgrade to to get leather, it’s a great choice!
Yeah thats out of my price range at the moment. Plus whatever the charge is to install it. Id have to see if that is even in the Northeast here.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
You can get the leather for under $600 on eBay, last I looked. I went through the reasoning on not getting factory leather, didn't like the bundling with stuff I didn't want, and after 3 years, I'm ok with cloth, especially in the Winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I actually test drove an equinox with leather and it was stiff and didn't feel all that premium. Another reason I was ok with the cloth, for now anyway. I assume leather in a terrain is the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually test drove an equinox with leather and it was stiff and didn't feel all that premium. Another reason I was ok with the cloth, for now anyway. I assume leather in a terrain is the same?
It was, I test drove an SLT a few days ago and it was kinda stiff I want to assume after a few hundred miles in the drivers seat it will soften up but out of the box stiff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was, I test drove an SLT a few days ago and it was kinda stiff I want to assume after a few hundred miles in the drivers seat it will soften up but out of the box stiff.
This was a used equinox with over 10k on it. Mine was also used. I find the front seats a bit narrow but not uncomfortably so.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Premium leather in a Terrain is not going to be buttery soft. It's a family SUV and it has to be rugged enough for ''family'' abuse. Leather in my LTZ 'nox , High Country Traverse, and my Tahoe LTZ is stiffer than the leather was in my old '16 Continental. Big difference in SUV grade vs luxury vehicles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We replaced a BMW 535xi with a 19' Terrain Denali... The beemer had 140,000mi. on it and was getting tired. Wife demanded luxury so I had no choice but to go top trim level.. She loves the heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated leather seats, auto park feature etc. etc.. It's crazy how much you have to pay to get all that stuff but she's happy and I can't say I'm disappointed. Love the 2.0 engine.. Not as fast as the twin turbo beemer but still fun to drive and we can haul a bunch of stuff in the back AND tow a two place snowmobile trailer. This is the 1st "suv" we've ever had before it's been trucks and sedans. The terrain sort of does both and so far the car's been trouble free. No little ones to spill stuff in the car now so that's a bonus I guess but I can't stop my wife from touching the glass when she points to something on the roadside. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point repairman. My wife pushed for leather because we have a 2 year old and it being easier to clean but it pushed me out of my comfortable payment range.
That's why I'm going with the GMC seat protector unless you guys can suggest an alternative. The GMC one looks pretty good. Only thing that bugs me.is I know I'm paying at least a 60% mark up to have the GMC logo on it.
For example their envelope cargo net goes for 60 on their web site. I found the same.one on Amazon minus logo for 29.00 so yeah if I could find the same seat protector without the logo I know it would be much cheaper.
We replaced a BMW 535xi with a 19' Terrain Denali... The beemer had 140,000mi. on it and was getting tired. Wife demanded luxury so I had no choice but to go top trim level.. She loves the heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated leather seats, auto park feature etc. etc.. It's crazy how much you have to pay to get all that stuff but she's happy and I can't say I'm disappointed. Love the 2.0 engine.. Not as fast as the twin turbo beemer but still fun to drive and we can haul a bunch of stuff in the back AND tow a two place snowmobile trailer. This is the 1st "suv" we've ever had before it's been trucks and sedans. The terrain sort of does both and so far the car's been trouble free. No little ones to spill stuff in the car now so that's a bonus I guess but I can't stop my wife from touching the glass when she points to something on the roadside. :)
.....Wait tell me about this auto park feature. Funny I am coiming from a E60 535ix too with 150+ on it. Moving on from it before the turbo goes and ends up costing me 7k just on the part alone.
I am a SUV guy at heart but after getting a new job 11+ years ago my commute went from 15 miles to 52 miles and my Chevy Trailblazer at the time was eating up too much gas. Well I havent looked at SUV's for awhile now because I thought all the mid sized ones still ate up gas (i'd never get a Rav4 or something like that). Well seeing that the Terrain has WAY better gas mileage than the Bimmer AND I dont have to drop 93 in it well its a win win on that front.

·
Registered
152 Posts
.....Wait tell me about this auto park feature.
I don't know for sure, but I believe that Automatic Park Assist is available only on the Denali trim. RPO codes don't usually change too much from year to year, so I'll say that on my '18 Terrain Denali the feature is listed as UFQ. Check your RPO sticker to see if that code exists, but I suspect that it will not. On the '18 models the sticker is in the glove box. Or you can capture the QR on the 'B' pillar. I found it more convenient to send an email with my VIN to [email protected] to get a PDF with the "born on" date and RPO codes with explaination.

I've never used the feature as of now. Not knowing how well it works in a real world environment, I was hoping to try it in a "safe" controlled situation first.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Use your GM points from buying the new vehicle for the GM protector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
250 miles in and Im loving it! Rides so smooth on the highway. Def isnt the most powerful thing in the world but I don't need that. One thing I have to do is change my driving habits. I got off an exit today a little faster than I should have.....this isnt the 5 series any longer.
The only thing I have done so far is getting GMC labeled metal value caps and GMC labeled coasters to put in the cup holders to prevent those from getting scratched up. The rear seat cover is getting delivered to the dealer Thursday.
I am looking to get a dashcam hard-wired to the power of the car (Does that viod warranty?) Was looking at thishttps://www.owlcam.com/product/classic-5-1-camera/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts