GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for those who are interested sharing ideas to retain ANC functionality while adding a subwoofer to the stock stereo system. (Stock Equinox stereo, 4cyl with ANC)...

Swapping out the door speakers and tweeters is probably not a huge deal, I may even try running my set of Hertz Energy speakers off the factory stereo for now. What I am really interested in is improving the low-end which obviously I will need a subwoofer and amplifier. Ideally I would like to utilize the built-in ANC subwoofer location, and simply drop in a dual voice coil sub. One voice coil will plug straight into the ANC system output, just as it would with the factory ANC sub. The other coil would connect to an aftermarket amplifier which will have a signal from one of the rear door speakers.

Running a power wire, remote turn-on, ground, and signal wires to the rear of the vehicle for the amp is probably not going to be a whole lot more difficult with this vehicle than any other. The real question is how to retain the ANC functionality. I have seen the wiring diagrams for the ANC and sound system; I don't know how to read those and still have questions.

Specifically:

Is there a specific fuse somewhere I can pull to disable ANC? Just pull the stereo system fuse? How bad is the noise without ANC?

Will the ANC system be smart enough to realize that a more efficient and louder subwoofer is in place? (ex. the microphone hears/adjusts the sound output of the sub?) I'm assuming not. I wonder if the new sub would output an overwhelming amount of sound.

How frequently does ANC actually send signals out to the sub? I hear it's only at idle/slow speeds/low RPM. If this is true than it should not interfere TOO much with normal stereo sound output to the sub, correct?

If we decide to somehow keep the entire ANC system fully in tact and install an additional subwoofer in the vehicle, would this interfear with ANC's ability to listen for the vehicle sounds of which it is trying to correct? I'm assuming not since the Pioneer system uses a subwoofer with no issues.

In summary:

This entire topic and discussion could be avoided if I simply drop in another subwoofer and call it a day. It's just that the stock ANC subwoofer location is so ideal for a real sub, and would help keep the cargo area completely clear. Do the benefits of ANC outweigh the benefits of a nice clean real subwoofer installation in this location? Can we have the best of both worlds and install a dual voice coil sub here without causing any major disruptions in the ANC system?

Worst case scenario is I will simply drop another subwoofer/amp combo back there, like the Infinity basslink series, but will probably go out of my way to be sure all connections are 'quick disconnect' type, so that at least we could quickly switch to 'cargo mode' for camp/road trips and other large cargo needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done some research on this. The subwoofer used in the LS models (that is only used for noise cancelling) is actually the very same subwoofer that is used in the pioneer systems. JL audio makes a "stealth box" that replaces the stock subwoofer enclosure. I contacted them and they sent me the install instructions for their unit. The JL rep also stated that I would need to disable the ANC and recommended I do so by cutting the wires to the microphones in the car!! LOL! Anyway, I am more interested in getting that subwoofer back there working for my vehicle than replacing it. I plan on checking out the wiring on the sub and seeing if it has both sets for both voice coils. If it does, then the audio is stopped somewhere in the head unit / amplifier. If the extra voice coil is there, but not being used, I may just hook up a cheap amp to that sub my self for the tiny bit of extra bass I could squeeze out of the system. If the sub doesn't have an extra voice coil, then I obviously won't be able to utilize it. For all I know, reprogramming the stereo may be all that is required! If anyone has dug around back there in an ls with the 4 banger, please send me an email or post on here!! [email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love some info on this as well. I'd like to put in the stealthbox with an amp. Also curious if you can add the stealthbox without adding an amp - not that it would have near the effect.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Seriously...the sub in my Pioneer system is the same as the one in the LS? I don't know if I should feel cheated (bass isn't very strong) or LS owners since they have the capability that is simply disabled. This may be yet another case of GM's strategy to encourage people to shell out more money for higher profit trim levels..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well it seems no one is giving this a shot, or not updating. I tried a 1/2 a$$ed test by covering up the 2 mics(with tape and napkin) & put a pillow over the factory "sub". Not ideal, but it's something. I heard MAYBE a little more engine noise, nothing that was remotely bothersome. Wouldn't have been noticeable if you were listening to stereo even at quiet volume, had a window cracked or talking to someone in the vehicle. I drove around city, highway like this for a day. Keep in mind it's not the same as disconnecting them from the system, but should have given some indication. I drove in ECO mode the whole time.

I emailed JL on the stealthbox sub and they told me to disconnect the mics. There's gotta be a way to disconnect them without cutting the wires. If a mic goes bad, I doubt GM is pulling all the wire between the mic and stereo system? I asked JL what happened if they're not disconnected and was told there would be a constant low frequency hum until the vehicle was shut off. Which makes sense I guess...the system would be trying to work through equipment it was not meant to be used with or tuned with + be amplified.

I'm gonna give it a go. I have the JL ordered thru Crutchfield and have speakers & an amp. Have installation set for Friday but doubt the sub will get here in time- will have him run the wires back there and put the sub in whenever it shows up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got half an update here. Have not received my JL stealthbox yet. But I had Polk db 6501 component speakers in front doors and pillars, Polk db 651 in the rear doors. Alpine MRX-V60 amp(5 channel) for power. Line out connectors from stock stereo to the amp. Everything with the stock stereo is still functioning normal and I'm not noticing any noise really. I didn't do the install, but they told me they haven't disconnected the ANC mics yet. Will see what happens when the stealthbox arrives. So far everything sounds really good even though I'm only giving the components half the RMS power they can take. Would've had to do multiple amps(which I didn't want to do). So far, so good...guessing I'm gonna have to disconnect those mics when the real sub is installed. I don't think the factory "sub" is even in line anymore, but can't say for sure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did you use db651 or db651s in the rear doors? Crutchfield says the regular db651 only fits in the front door, and db651s is needed for the rears. I guess due to mounting depth.

I was thinking of putting 4x db651 speakers in my Nox, and using the factory head unit. I have the factory Pioneer premium system, so hoping there is enough power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm trying to figure out how to get the factory sub to work. I can't describe how upset I was on Tuesday when I realized I had a factory sub installed this whole time, but it just isn't receiving a signal from the radio. I'm thinking about busting out the jigsaw and putting a 10 inch kicker shallow sub in there to replace the pioneer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, kinda fell off the deep end and haven't looked into this any further. I am now however, seriously about to dig into my wife nox :) . I am hoping to find an open set of inputs for the second voice coil and try to throw am amp on it. Anyone interested in this anymore? Should I spend the time on a write up/ video?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm interested. I asked this very same question way back in August of 2009 When I bought my 2010 Equinox. Until reading this post tonight, I didn't realize that I had a sub back there (I have a basic 4 cylinder LS model). Do all 2010+ Equinoxes have the sub back there? I always assumed it was an empty box back there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, if you have the 4cylinder, you will have the two microphone spots in the ceiling and a subwoofer in the back as part of the active noise cancellation system. I'm going to look into it as time allows. Hopefully I will be presented with an easy option to get it working that I would be able to make "plug and play". You think you would pay for such a device with instructions? If so, how much? I may need a "guinea pig" to try it out for me for free :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
carnut122 said:
I'm interested. I asked this very same question way back in August of 2009 When I bought my 2010 Equinox. Until reading this post tonight, I didn't realize that I had a sub back there (I have a basic 4 cylinder LS model). Do all 2010+ Equinoxes have the sub back there? I always assumed it was an empty box back there?
You have a sub, but it's only used for the ANC. I really don't know if there is a physical reason why it couldn't be used with the stereo (I have the Pioneer system which uses the sub and still has ANC) but my guess is that it's simply GM's way of enticing people to spring for the more expensive options/trim levels. I would be interested to know if the sub in the LS is the same as in my 2LT.....it isn't very strong in any case.

·
Registered
241 Posts
NoobNox said:
You have a sub, but it's only used for the ANC. I really don't know if there is a physical reason why it couldn't be used with the stereo (I have the Pioneer system which uses the sub and still has ANC) but my guess is that it's simply GM's way of enticing people to spring for the more expensive options/trim levels. I would be interested to know if the sub in the LS is the same as in my 2LT.....it isn't very strong in any case.
I believe the base sound system lacks an amplifier to drive the sub.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NoobNox said:
NoobNox.....I have a 2011 1LT, 4 cyl equinox with the Pioneer system but I can barely hear any sound coming out of my sub in the rear, even with the volume turned all the way up. It just sounds like very low, quiet rumble noises, not like bass music for sure. I keep telling my dealer service department that something isn't right with the system and of course they keep telling me that they can find nothing wrong with it. I mean, I really have to turn up my system volume to almost all the way to get any real decent sound out of the overall system. I called Pioneer one day and spoke to a tech there and asked him if the pioneer systems being put into the 2011 equinox with the amplifier and six speakers should sound really good and his answer was, "That system should "ROCK" (meaning of course it should be fantastic) without having to turn the volume all the way up or close to it." Well, my pioneer system certainly doesn't "ROCK" like this tech guy from Pioneer says it should.

I'm still convinced something isn't right with it but the dealer insists it is. very troubling. But how can you find out for sure if there is something wrong with it when the dealer keeps saying nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts anyone???????

·
Registered
241 Posts
barry83 said:
NoobNox.....I have a 2011 1LT, 4 cyl equinox with the Pioneer system but I can barely hear any sound coming out of my sub in the rear, even with the volume turned all the way up. It just sounds like very low, quiet rumble noises, not like bass music for sure. I keep telling my dealer service department that something isn't right with the system and of course they keep telling me that they can find nothing wrong with it. I mean, I really have to turn up my system volume to almost all the way to get any real decent sound out of the overall system. I called Pioneer one day and spoke to a tech there and asked him if the pioneer systems being put into the 2011 equinox with the amplifier and six speakers should sound really good and his answer was, "That system should "ROCK" (meaning of course it should be fantastic) without having to turn the volume all the way up or close to it." Well, my pioneer system certainly doesn't "ROCK" like this tech guy from Pioneer says it should.

I'm still convinced something isn't right with it but the dealer insists it is. very troubling. But how can you find out for sure if there is something wrong with it when the dealer keeps saying nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts anyone???????
Unless you have the premium sound system (8 speakers, 2 front, 2 back, 2 tweeters, center dash and sub ), the sub is only used for noise cancellation and not music.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wkeatonjr said:
Unless you have the premium sound system (8 speakers, 2 front, 2 back, 2 tweeters, center dash and sub ), the sub is only used for noise cancellation and not music.
wkeatonjr.... I have the premium system with the 8 speakers and there is barely any sound coming out of that sub in the back as I said even when I turn the volume all the way up it is barely audible. Again, the dealer service dept says there is no problem with it but as someone else on here somewhere said.....I got better sound out of my stock stereo in my old 2002 trailblazer. it's a shame this pioneer system doesn't sound anywhere near a premium system, in my opinion. I guess I should bring it to a high end stereo installer and let them give me their opinion on it and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
barry83 said:
wkeatonjr.... I have the premium system with the 8 speakers and there is barely any sound coming out of that sub in the back as I said even when I turn the volume all the way up it is barely audible. Again, the dealer service dept says there is no problem with it but as someone else on here somewhere said.....I got better sound out of my stock stereo in my old 2002 trailblazer. it's a shame this pioneer system doesn't sound anywhere near a premium system, in my opinion. I guess I should bring it to a high end stereo installer and let them give me their opinion on it and see what they have to say about it.
There is definitely a problem if you have the premium system. You should be hearing strong bass sounds at minimal volume. If your dealer says it is fine, I would find a new dealer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
wkeatonjr said:
There is definitely a problem if you have the premium system. You should be hearing strong bass sounds at minimal volume. If your dealer says it is fine, I would find a new dealer.

Yeah the Premium system is loud, try another dealer....possible blown fuse?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts