GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take a moment to check out (and test out) our newest feature - an integrated Photo and media gallery! In the main navigation bar between Messages and Members, you now have a new option, called Gallery. Clicking that will take you to the main Gallery page, where you can see other member galleries, view, rate and comment on their photos and manage your own photo albums.

To create your own photo album:

1) Click on the Gallery link in the main nav section to get to the Gallery page
2) Click on "My Albums" link on the far right
3) Click on 'New Album" to create an album
4) From there, you're only required to give it a name. You can leave the rest of the settings alone if you want, or you can tweak them. It allows control of things like sort order, set who can read (or even write) to your album, even set a password if you really want to keep your photos private. (you can also go back and edit these options later) Click Submit.

That's it! Your first album will be created and you'll go back to your "My Albums" view. Under your newly created album, you'll have a link to "add an item to this album". Click that to upload your first photo - you can upload a file from your PC to the gallery, or link to an external image URL if the file is already online somewhere.

You aren't limited to photos, though. You can also add youtube videos, PDFs, text files and more. Give it a try today and help me test it out. Please let me know if you have any issues with the new gallery feature. Enjoy!

NOTE: For files that you upload, you are limited to 2 MB, which is a server file limit I have no control over. If your images are bigger than that, you'll need to shrink them first.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Very nice feature!
This Simple Machines LLC software is getting to be as good as vBulletin in a lot of ways.
A CMPS would top it off nicely, but that's JMO!
Great work and thanks Mr. Admin!
8)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a need for a full fledged portal, SMF can integrate with several variants out there, TinyPortal being the most popular amongst them. I have no interest in content beyond the forum itself, so it has no value to me. That said, SMF is 99% as good as vBulletin, IMHO, and infinitely cheaper, since, you know, it's free :) So from a cost analysis point of view, it blows the doors off vBulletin!

Honestly, it's amazing how stupid easy it is to set SMF up now. It does EVERYTHING for you.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
admin said:
If you have a need for a full fledged portal, SMF can integrate with several variants out there, TinyPortal being the most popular amongst them. I have no interest in content beyond the forum itself, so it has no value to me. That said, SMF is 99% as good as vBulletin, IMHO, and infinitely cheaper, since, you know, it's free :) So from a cost analysis point of view, it blows the doors off vBulletin!

Honestly, it's amazing how stupid easy it is to set SMF up now. It does EVERYTHING for you.
Indeed, you can't beat free and it seems vB comes out with security updates about as often as Windows XP!
:)
That being said, thanks again and you're right, most times, "Simple is best".
;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, SMF seems to have an update about once a month, sometimes less. But it's a simple one click affair, so updates are painless. They are close to releasing SMF2.0, the first major update, rewritten from the ground up. It's supposed to be even faster and more powerful, but I haven't looked much into it yet. Once it's final, I'll take a look and check out upgrade options.

As it is now, it supports my 6 forums well, handling my 12000+ users on acadiaforum.net with ease. In fact, there are SMF forums out there with over a quarter million users, sometimes with 10,000 active users at a time. I find it hard to justify paying for vBulletin when SMF is so powerful, with hundreds of plugins, mods and themes. I've been running these for over 3 years now and, to be fair, I haven't looked at vB in that time, so I'm not sure what features it offers that I couldn't get with SMF mods.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
admin said:
Yeah, SMF seems to have an update about once a month, sometimes less. But it's a simple one click affair, so updates are painless. They are close to releasing SMF2.0, the first major update, rewritten from the ground up. It's supposed to be even faster and more powerful, but I haven't looked much into it yet. Once it's final, I'll take a look and check out upgrade options.

As it is now, it supports my 6 forums well, handling my 12000+ users on acadiaforum.net with ease. In fact, there are SMF forums out there with over a quarter million users, sometimes with 10,000 active users at a time. I find it hard to justify paying for vBulletin when SMF is so powerful, with hundreds of plugins, mods and themes. I've been running these for over 3 years now and, to be fair, I haven't looked at vB in that time, so I'm not sure what features it offers that I couldn't get with SMF mods.
vBulletin is by far the de facto standard in terms of security, Admin, Moderator CP features and maintenance tools, as well as Support, Mods, Themes and Plugins.
Quick moderation of multiple threads or posts is a big plus for forums with 10,000+ members.
Although somewhat pricey (buck seventy or so includes one year of upgrades) compared to free, they support previous versions for many years after releasing new ones.
I think they are on ver 4.x.x right now but will probably support 3.x.x for the next few years if not longer.
Heck, they may still have customers running 2.x.x which has to be 12 years old by now!

At any rate, SMF seems quite capable and should you decide to ever move on to vB, I think you can import the tables from most of the other boards' databases no problem.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Enough geek talk.

Can you make it so we can upload more than one picture at a time?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Enough geek talk.

Can you make it so we can upload more than one picture at a time?
You already can.
When uploading, there is an option for "additional files".
Click that and add as many files (pictures) as you like, then submit your post.
Unless you're talking about the gallery, which I haven't tried yet.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
gearhead said:
You already can.
When uploading, there is an option for "additional files".
Click that and add as many files (pictures) as you like, then submit your post.
Unless you're talking about the gallery, which I haven't tried yet.
Yes, in the gallery.

I knew about the other one. That is why I am surprised its not there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I tried a "Mass upload" with zip files, in Gallery ..no success.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops! My fault, I missed a checkbox in the permissions settings. There should now be a second upload option next to add new item to this album called Mass Upload. Click that and you can add multiple files at once, but keep in mind, the hosting site itself sets a limit of 8MB per transaction that -may- limit a single "mass upload". I haven't tested this out yet, but if you try to upload, say, 25 files that are close to a meg each, you may run into issue. Please let me know if you do so we can have a definitive answer on the subject. And if so, limit each "mass upload" to less than 8MB.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Note, I had also missed the "unseen" box, which should now show up in your gallery navigation bar near the top. Clicking this will show ALL previously unseen gallery entries. On the left is a "mark all as seen" option, as well, which will act as if you've looked at all the gallery updates and remove the small number next to Gallery in your main nav bar.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I will give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I've added a '5 random photos' box to the main page at the top (obviously). Please let me know if you guys find this useful or annoying. I can also move it vertically on the right side if we need to.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MORE GALLERY TIPS:

1) In the Gallery Navigation, there's an 'Unseen' button that lets you view all the photos you haven't seen yet in one place. There's also a "mark all seen" button on the left if you don't want to look at every one, but want the number to zero out.

2) You can sort the gallery in all kinds of ways. Look on the right, just below the gallery navigation line, you'll see the ability to sort by Id, title, date, views and ratings, ascending or descending. So to sort by newest entries first, for example, you can click on 'Date' then 'Descending'.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I's OK. Wouldnt call it annoying but not a big fan.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The consensus on the other forums is that the front page list looks better vertically on the right side than across the top. I'll probably move this one over there too...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts