GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2013 Terrain into the dealer today for an oil change.

They told me that there is a new recall on my vehicle, something to do with the wiper motor(s).

The dealer doesn't have the specific details yet, other than one is coming.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Please mention which country you are from when posting a service bulletin or recall as GM Canada and GM US are very different when it comes to releasing recalls such as the door rust issues. I noticed from your profile that you are in Canada. GM Canada is so much more proactive than here in the US. :banghead: Thanks for letting us know. Please let us know if you hear more from your dealer.

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
Sounds surprising, to me anyways. I can't recall any issues people have had with their wiper motors. However, they are an important safety item.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here;

Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain 2010-2015

GM Recall #: 2025300
NHTSA #
Date Issued: Jul 07, 2016

Recall Title: Front Wiper Transmission Failure (Canada Only)
Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2013 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles. The ball joints in the windshield wiper modules of these vehicles may experience high corrosion and wear that could result in the separation of one or more ball joints from their sockets during wiper operation. If a ball joint were to separate, one or both of the windshield wipers could become inoperative.

Safety Risk Description:

If one or both of the windshield wipers become inoperative, it could limit the driver’s visibility under certain operating conditions, which may increase the risk of a crash.

Repair Description:

TBD

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE
But not solution for the moment

Definition of "INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE"
GM is working quickly to finalize the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the actual text as shown in the letter I received today:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I received the same recall for the wiper problem today for my 2010 Equinox. It is a Canadian safety recall and not for all of Canada by the looks of it, only Ontario and to the east. Not sure why as most western provinces also get a lot of snow and rain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got the letter forwarded from the dealer I bought my car from since it's only been a few weeks. Funny because I was thinking my last few GMs had wiper linkage issues and it was nice not to hear of problems on the Nox. So much for that. But at least this time they are doing something about it.

I would guess that it is only Ontario and east that is getting recalled is because they use way more salt than the western provinces. Recall letter states it is for high corrosion areas. I was in AB/BC for work in 2013 in winter and never saw salt, they used sand and cinders. Also since salt effectiveness is reduced in extreme cold it is possible that is why the west uses less salt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just had the oil changed today in my wife's Equinox by our local (Houston, TX) Buick/GMC dealer, and the service writer also told me about this pending recall. So maybe it is also for us down in the states?

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
Here is the wording from the NHTSA on the NOW major recall:

Report Receipt Date: AUG 04, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V582000
Component(s): VISIBILITY

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2013 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the ball joints in the windshield wiper module may corrode and wear over time, possibly resulting in one or both of the windshield wipers becoming inoperative.

CONSEQUENCE:
Inoperative windshield wipers may reduce the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020 or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782. GM's number for this recall is 25302.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this issue happen on my equinox a couple months ago. Ball joint in the wiper transmission became disconnected while I had the wipers on high in a thunderstorm. I'm lucky I didn't crash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They need to bring this to the US and include other years. I just to have my wiper transmission replaced for $357.00 (parts, labor, taxes and fees) on my 2015 Terrain. It was a complete ripoff since my husband removed the bad. The dealer did not have much to do, but put in the new one. I am so ticked off!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
They need to bring this to the US and include other years. I just to have my wiper transmission replaced for $357.00 (parts, labor, taxes and fees) on my 2015 Terrain. It was a complete ripoff since my husband removed the bad. The dealer did not have much to do, but put in the new one. I am so ticked off!
$58 part on Rock Auto. How the heck do they charge $357? Should be at least $100 less than that. Looks like typical dealer gouging to me...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
they probably entered the code for the job..... which includes labor for removal and replacement....

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
they probably entered the code for the job..... which includes labor for removal and replacement....
But as a professional mechanic, with all your (power) tools right there at the ready, and having done this repair at least once before - you can't replace a windshield wiper motor in one hour?

·
Registered
8 Posts
$58 part on Rock Auto. How the heck do they charge $357? Should be at least $100 less than that. Looks like typical dealer gouging to me...
It was $130ish for the part and 188? for the labor. The labor is what gets me the most. The old part was completely removed, since my husband took it out. All they had to do was put the new one. GM will not do anything about the labor costs either.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It was $130ish for the part and 188? for the labor. The labor is what gets me the most. The old part was completely removed, since my husband took it out. All they had to do was put the new one. GM will not do anything about the labor costs either.
And you tried talking to the Service Manager at the dealership? I once cut an A/C repair bill in *half* at a dealership for an elderly man who I befriended at the grocery store (recognized him from the church I once attended). The bill was over $400 to replace a simple A/C hose on an '07 Saturn Vue. Hose was a $90 part. The adjusted bill came in at around $200. The man was very appreciative, as he was on a very limited income at the time ..

I'd go in there and ask them to reduce the bill to around $200+, arguing the part costs around $100 and the job could've easily been completed by a *professional* within one hour. So $100 plus whatever their hourly rate is...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spoke with GM directly. I sent them a letter and they have called me a few times to discuss my issue at the dealer. My last conversation with GM was yesterday. In a nutshell "they cannot offer me any reimbursement at this time." At the time, if I did not need my wipers, as it was going to be rainy for a few days, I would have simply bought the part from the dealer or online. I always knew dealers were a rip-off for repairs, but this whole experience made my feelings toward dealer even worse. It may not seem like alot of money, but the fact they charged $187.50 (1.50 hours) for labor is what bugs me the most. There is even a note on the receipt that says "owner removed old part."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts