GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm a proud week-old 2011 Equinox 1LT 4-cylinder owner! I'm loving the vehicle so far, and have a couple questions I thought I'd pose to the forum members.

• It would appear that the "minimum" volume for phone calls is 22 or 21 or something like that. If I turn the volume UP beyond that, it "remembers" the volume as noted in the manual. Anything below 22, and it always pops back up to 22. The manual does say it will maintain a minimum volume, so I'm assuming that's 22. Does anyone know of any way to lower this default minimum? Secret menus or whatnot?
  • I've noticed that when my A/C is OFF and the car is on recirc, the A/C cycles. My assumption is that it's drying the air out so the car doesn't gain humidity, and after reading a couple posts on this forum I think I'm right. The question is that when it IS on recirc, I can occasionally hear a faint hissing sound. Comes up quietly and fades back down after a just a second. I'm assuming this is normal? It's very very quiet, but with the radio off and the fan on the 1st setting (or even off) I can hear it. It's not constant either. I'm surely hoping this is normal as I don't want to visit the dealer. My previous car did this (horribly too), so I'm thinking it's all good.
  • I keep ECO mode on all the time. From what I understand, it may only get me 1MPG additional. Such a small number... why do they bother with the button/mode?
  • No light in the glovebox? Weird.
  • I find it odd that the far left and right vents don't have a separate volume knob like the two center ones do. Am I the only one that finds this a bit annoying?
  • Any 2011 or 2010 owners out there have a Dashmat?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to you comments!

CS

·
Registered
144 Posts
As far as the bluetooth volume.....I can't answer that. I know mine is always around 24 to 26. The vents are bad as far as directing air. Not much movement. I have not noticed anything on the a/c. I have the V6. I think if the a/c is off on mine, there is no fan running.

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
insane42 said:
  • I keep ECO mode on all the time. From what I understand, it may only get me 1MPG additional. Such a small number... why do they bother with the button/mode?

CS
It's all about the gov't mandated fleet-average MPG. One mpg on one car is small, but over 50,000 vehicles, this can save GM some MPG fines. Also, every increase in MPG makes big news when marketing a vehicle. IMHO

·
Registered
378 Posts
RIT333 said:
It's all about the gov't mandated fleet-average MPG. One mpg on one car is small, but over 50,000 vehicles, this can save GM some MPG fines. Also, every increase in MPG makes big news when marketing a vehicle. IMHO
So, was the gov. fuel rating done with Eco mode On or off? Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
332 Posts
georgi55 said:
So, was the gov. fuel rating done with Eco mode On or off? Anyone have any idea?
You can be sure that ECO was on and that the tests are under absolutely ideal conditions which will seldom, if ever be experienced.

But that will be the case with all manufacturers.

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
2010Nox said:
You can be sure that ECO was on and that the tests are under absolutely ideal conditions which will seldom, if ever be experienced.

But that will be the case with all manufacturers.
I'll bet that manufacturers design their engine's operation around the EPA test. Unfortunatly, we don't drive on the EPA course, so we have a hard time reaching their MPG levels. IMHO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I thought I'd chime back in here with some updates in case anyone else ever has the same concerns.

• Regarding the minimum volume for phone calls, I've given up. Nobody anywhere seems to have a way to change it, so I shall live with it.
  • Regarding the hiss from the A/C, turns out it's "normal". After a visit to the dealership, this is the exact text from the report. And yes... they used that many exclamation points.
    C/S CHECK FOR A HISS OR AIR TYPE SOUND WHEN MOVING OFF FROM A STOP TO ABOUT 30 MPH WITH AC ON AND FAN BLOWER AT SPEED #1. NOISE SEEMS TO COME FROM THE CENTER SECTION OF THE DASH. TEST DROVE 4 MILES OK. NORMAL NOISE FROM EXPANSION VALVE WHEN COMPRESSOR KICKS OFF AND PRESSURES EQUIALIZE. NORMAL NOISE. SYSTEM WORKING AS DESIGNED. NOTE: THIS WILL HAPPEN MORE FREQUENTLY AT LOWER BLOWER SPEEDS TO PREVENT THE EVAPORATOR FROM FREEZING UP!!!!!!!
  • Regarding ECO mode, I've turned it off recently. The idle is noticably rough when it's on. While it's not a huge deal, I prefer the smooth idle of when it's off.
  • I still think no light in the glovebox is weird.
  • I still don't like that I can't control the air volume of the side vents.
  • So nobody's using a Dashmat, eh?

Happy Driving!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
insane42 said:
OK, I thought I'd chime back in here with some updates in case anyone else ever has the same concerns.

• Regarding the minimum volume for phone calls, I've given up. Nobody anywhere seems to have a way to change it, so I shall live with it.
  • Regarding the hiss from the A/C, turns out it's "normal". After a visit to the dealership, this is the exact text from the report. And yes... they used that many exclamation points.
  • Regarding ECO mode, I've turned it off recently. The idle is noticably rough when it's on. While it's not a huge deal, I prefer the smooth idle of when it's off.
  • I still think no light in the glovebox is weird.
  • I still don't like that I can't control the air volume of the side vents.
  • So nobody's using a Dashmat, eh?

Happy Driving!
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "dashmat"?
We received a little mat when we purchased the cargo liner and I believe they called it a dashmat.
No idea what it's for, however.
It's about 4" x 6" and a kind of "sticky" foam/rubber.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gearhead said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "dashmat"?
We received a little mat when we purchased the cargo liner and I believe they called it a dashmat.
No idea what it's for, however.
It's about 4" x 6" and a kind of "sticky" foam/rubber.
Sorry, I assumed Dashmat was a household name. I've had Dashmats on my last two cars.

It is certainly not that ugly sticky pad thing. It's a cloth cover for your dash, to protect it from the sun. They are tailored specifically for each car so that they fit perfectly.

I'm not yet allowed to post links, but if you go to dashmat.com, you can see what I'm talking about.

I live in AZ, so I'd hate for the sun to murder my dash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
georgi55 said:
EWWWWW ....pardon my ignorance above...wow that's fugly!
Yikes. Fugly? Wouldn't go THAT far. They actually look quite good in some cars. The one I had in my Blazer blended in perfectly. HOWEVER, that's why I was wondering if anyone else had one... for some pics. Don't want to drop $50 bones and it look like cr*p.

·
Registered
378 Posts
insane42 said:
Yikes. Fugly? Wouldn't go THAT far. They actually look quite good in some cars. The one I had in my Blazer blended in perfectly. HOWEVER, that's why I was wondering if anyone else had one... for some pics. Don't want to drop $50 bones and it look like cr*p.
Must be bad pictures on google image search then...reminded me dog car from dumb and dumber

·
Registered
297 Posts
georgi55 said:
Must be bad pictures on google image search then...reminded me dog car from dumb and dumber
The ole Shaggin Wagon! :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, my grandfather had this on his 1980 Ford Fairmont (in Mexico)... Of course, his was shaggy, but I couldn't have one of these and not remember him... or a cab driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are terrible... :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
insane42 said:
You guys are terrible... :p
I'm sorry, I had to re-read my own message to realize it sounded pretty sarcastic. I didn't mean to be an @$$. I saw the pictures on the website, as far as I can tell the dash mats are not shaggy, which is really what I didn't like about my grandfather's dash accessory

If you look around the forum there are tons of threads where we all disagree on "good taste", but it is all in good fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quantumbyte said:
I'm sorry, I had to re-read my own message to realize it sounded pretty sarcastic. I didn't mean to be an @$$. I saw the pictures on the website, as far as I can tell the dash mats are not shaggy, which is really what I didn't like about my grandfather's dash accessory

If you look around the forum there are tons of threads where we all disagree on "good taste", but it is all in good fun.
No offense taken. :) I'm glad to see the folks in this forum have a good sense of humor. ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts