GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pontiac Grand Prix has fixed side view mirrors (the housing does not move). I was told at the car wash that I would have to sign a waver to have the vehicle washed since because the side view mirrors do not move, the brushes could break them off. Needless to say, I have never washed the Pontiac in a car wash.

It looks to me like the Terrain mirror housings do not move (I might be wrong, but I did not try to test moving them). Any problem with the Terrain in a car wash? I hate car washes and actually love washing my vehicles on a nice day. However at our condo in Naples Fl, there will be no place to hand wash the car, so a car wash might be the only way to keep the Terrain somewhat clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second Question

The fuel door is difficult to open (there is no finger space to pull it open). It looks to me like there is some kind of mechanism to push the fuel door open. But I can't find anything in the car to push to activate it. I checked the manual and did not find any mention of opening the fuel door. What am I missing??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Third Question

My side view mirrors have the little "heat" icon on them. From what I can tell from the manual, that means they are heated. Also to heat them you use the same button that heats the rear window. Correct (the manual is not all that clear)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Second Question

SnowItch said:
Took me a while to figure out as well. It is spring loaded. You push on the door (opposite the hinges), and it pops open.
****. Never would have guessed. If I had long nails, I would have broken a couple. I'll have to practice and also tell my wife how to open it (while we are in pump your own states). When back in Jersey, we are not allowed to pump our own gas. I can envision having to show the attendant how to do it too......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
tmozer said:
My Pontiac Grand Prix has fixed side view mirrors (the housing does not move). I was told at the car wash that I would have to sign a waver to have the vehicle washed since because the side view mirrors do not move, the brushes could break them off. Needless to say, I have never washed the Pontiac in a car wash.

It looks to me like the Terrain mirror housings do not move (I might be wrong, but I did not try to test moving them). Any problem with the Terrain in a car wash? I hate car washes and actually love washing my vehicles on a nice day. However at our condo in Naples Fl, there will be no place to hand wash the car, so a car wash might be the only way to keep the Terrain somewhat clean.
SLT-2 Terrain mirrors do fold in.
Not sure about other models.
No problems in touchless or soft touch car washes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another New Owner Questions

I forgot to scan the manual for this, so I'll ask here: On the right edge of the information screen (when the digital speed is displayed - not sure about other modes), there is a little number surrounded by a partial box (to the left of the number). I think the number changes, but most of the time I've been seeing an "8". What is it indicating?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Re: Another New Owner Questions

tmozer said:
I forgot to scan the manual for this, so I'll ask here: On the right edge of the information screen (when the digital speed is displayed - not sure about other modes), there is a little number surrounded by a partial box (to the left of the number). I think the number changes, but most of the time I've been seeing an "8". What is it indicating?
The number is indicating which one of the many variables are being displayed.
For example (from memory) 8 means you're seeing the speedo, 9 means you're seeing the NAV info, etc.
Press the "Menu" and arrow up/down buttons on the dash and you'll rotate through all of the information.
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Another New Owner Questions

gearhead said:
The number is indicating which one of the many variables are being displayed.
For example (from memory) 8 means you're seeing the speedo, 9 means you're seeing the NAV info, etc.
Press the "Menu" and arrow up/down buttons on the dash and you'll rotate through all of the information.
;)
Oh. Ok. Seems kind of silly to me (there is an "8" being displayed, I must be looking at the mph screen), but what do I know.....

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Re: Another New Owner Questions

tmozer said:
Oh. Ok. Seems kind of silly to me (there is an "8" being displayed, I must be looking at the mph screen), but what do I know.....

Thanks.
I'm just the opposite, makes perfect sense to me. I know if I'm on page 8 and I want to go up to page 3, the best way is the hit the up arrow instead of the down arrow.

KJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Another New Owner Questions

noncon said:
I'm just the opposite, makes perfect sense to me. I know if I'm on page 8 and I want to go up to page 3, the best way is the hit the up arrow instead of the down arrow.

KJ
Yeah, if you think about it, it does. It's just that I will never remember the sequence......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Re: Another New Owner Questions

tmozer said:
Yeah, if you think about it, it does. It's just that I will never remember the sequence......
Took us a couple of weeks, but now it's like tying your shoelaces.
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Personally, I love the numbered screens. We also own a Traverse, and it has the old two line display. There is no indication on what screen you are on, and no idea how many screens you'll need to go through to get to the screen you want. On our 'Nox, we now have a reference so if we know we want screen 5 and we are on 1, we know there are 4 screens to go through. Makes navigating the screens so much more pleasant, and a lot faster too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is something about the analog speed dial that I am having trouble getting use to. Therefore I tend to always want the digital speed sceen (#8) displayed. I wish they have put the digital speed display number in the center of the analog dial so it would always be there......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Re: Second Question

SnowItch said:
Took me a while to figure out as well. It is spring loaded. You push on the door (opposite the hinges), and it pops open.
wow! your dealer should've told you that. I don't think it takes effort to figure it out though..????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
On the car wash question. I think most cars DON'T have folding mirrors. Does that mean just about everyone has to sign a waiver? Sounds rediculous to me. I've never folded mine in and have never been asked to sign anything. I would think if it strong enough to damage a rear view mirror, it would probably damage the paint on the car also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Gary--I can see where you'd think a side mirror couldn't be damaged. But what actually does the deed is the metal arm or frame, not the brushes. I had an Explorere Ltd about 15 years ago whose side mirror got broken right off the vehicle by a carwash. Never did get anything from the carwash owner and I ate the deductible on the repair. That's why they have signs indicating "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR................."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
SnowItch, can you post pics of your LTZ ?

I ordered a Mocha too with brownstone and would like to see it if you can
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Yeah, I saw those pics... I just want to see real life ones. I'll post mine when I will pick it up at the end of march
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top