GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's a new way to share this and educate and help each other.
Rather than miscellaneous comments, post a link to a web log you use to track your mileage and comments that you make about it.
Of course, this is only if you are ok with it being public.

RULES:

1) List your exact car model & engine before your link (or in your signature).
2) As there appear to be some differences per country, be clear which MPG version you are recording (here or signature).
2) The log should mention general use or terrain overall or for each fill-up if out of the ordinary (ie, heavily loaded, hauling, extreme mountains, etc..) in order to give an accurate picture to anyone comparing. Some people's ordinary use is city, others mountains, others flatlands, etc...
3) MILEAGE should be represented by miles traveled (trip or odometer) compared to actual tank fill-up - NOT the computer of the car.
4) Current odometer readings (at least a range) should be indicated to reflect any patterns found via increased mileage on the vehicle.

If you have any suggestions, message me and I'll update the RULES.

I offer mine as reference first. The link to the log is in my signature below and is constantly updated to show OVERALL average mpg. Clicking it will show the logbook toward the bottom of the screen which to me is better because you can see notes on why each tank varies so much as well as any special observations on mpg's to this point.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine...

2010 1LT I4 Nox

Rim-Stock 17"
Trips-85% cruise on highway
Cruise speed 70-75 depending on speedlimits (typically 4-5 over)

Sitting @ 49K on the odometer as well...so I'm well past the "break-in" most 2011's are still going through

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Fuelly...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just signed up also. I buy gas every weekend so I'll make my first entry then. On the subject of gas, I've searched with no luck but will ask anyway, what gas is being used the most here? Ethanol, Regular unleaded, or Premium?
I messed up my original post so this post has been edited to include octane ratings. A poll would be nice but I don't know how to set one up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
nox-rocks said:
I just signed up also. I buy gas every week so I'll make my first entry then. On the subject of gas, I've searched with no luck but will ask anyway, what gas is being used the mos
I started with Costco (since it's what I've been using for the last 5 years with my mustang) - then did some reading about Top Tier gas, and blah blah blah - started using Chevron on the Terrain, but now I'm back to Costco. To me, it seems fine, but I'd love to hear someone who's opposed to it and why. I just want the best gas for the least amount of money - sound greedy? Of course it does :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
TerrainLem said:
I started with Costco (since it's what I've been using for the last 5 years with my mustang) - then did some reading about Top Tier gas, and blah blah blah - started using Chevron on the Terrain, but now I'm back to Costco. To me, it seems fine, but I'd love to hear someone who's opposed to it and why. I just want the best gas for the least amount of money - sound greedy? Of course it does :)
Personally I think top tier is usally closer to th ethanol rating...THe more ethanol in the fuel, the less mpg you will get.

I just pick whatever is available from top tier providers...I drive ALOT for work, I've learned do not be picky about it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
grometsc said:
...THe more ethanol in the fuel, the less mpg you will get.
:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
The reason I'm asking is because the manual says use Regular gas with 87 octane. Not a lot of stations here have regular with 87 octane, they are few and far between. Most have E10 89 octane or E85 or premiun with 91 octane.

·
Registered
315 Posts
nox-rocks said:
The reason I'm asking is because the manual says use Regular gas with 87 octane. Not a lot of stations here have regular with 87 octane, they are few and far between. Most have E10 89 octane or E85 or premiun with 91 octane.
Min 87

So 89 would work...Just about all fuel in the US has 10% Ethanol (unless your the EPA doing a mpg study :cheers:

In the mid-west (which sounds like you are being you have only 89) alot of the fuel has 15% ethanol, which is the newest standard fuel companies can do. So expect EVEN lower results!

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 2010 and 2011 Terrain and Nox owners manual specifies 87 octane and have a black gas cap; this means a max of 10% ethanol. The 2012 models are flex fuel E85 with a yellow gas cap. I wonder if GM has actually made any changes to the 2.4 for E85? If they have that means in a few years just about every current engine; car, truck, lawn mower, generator & etc. will be obsolete because of the push by the government for E85.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
43sbest said:
... in a few years just about every current engine; car, truck, lawn mower, generator & etc. will be obsolete because of the push by the government for E85.
I think gas stations will still have to offer E10 - at least that is what I read, I used StarBrite Enzyme to counteract the effects of Ethanol in all of my non-car engines. great stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TerrainLem said:
Just signed up today - kinda eager to get my first fuel up done...
It occurs to me that if someone reads this and decides to also use Fuelly, you can put old records into it also if you have them.
If you use another log, you can probably enter old info also.

Fuelly Mobile, by the way, isn't an app. It's a mobile page version of the site that makes latest gas entry very basic...

·
Registered
341 Posts
jecilop said:
It occurs to me that if someone reads this and decides to also use Fuelly, you can put old records into it also if you have them.
If you use another log, you can probably enter old info also.

Fuelly Mobile, by the way, isn't an app. It's a mobile page version of the site that makes latest gas entry very basic...
I was keeping a log, then left the **** book sitting on a public bench while I was cleaning out my car - go figure :eek:hno:

Fuelly is for dummies like me :binky:

Yeah, I hear they're working on a native Fuelly app and looking forward to it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
RIT333 said:
I think gas stations will still have to offer E10 - at least that is what I read, I used StarBrite Enzyme to counteract the effects of Ethanol in all of my non-car engines. great stuff.
This may be the case but consider stations (at least here in Florida) generally have tanks for 87 E10, mid grade, premium and diesel. Add E85 and what do they stop selling--------------they are for sure not going to go to the expense of installing another tank and many don't have room underground for another tank.

·
Registered
222 Posts
43sbest said:
This may be the case but consider stations (at least here in Florida) generally have tanks for 87 E10, mid grade, premium and diesel. Add E85 and what do they stop selling--------------they are for sure not going to go to the expense of installing another tank and many don't have room underground for another tank.
That's what we see here at older stations. They usually have 2 tanks, one for regular and one for premium. Normally the two are mixed to get the mid grade fuel. Now they must either add a tank or quit selling something which is usually premium and discontinue the mixing in the meters. Sometimes there is a station known to handle premium so they quit selling regular and only offer E10 and premium and discontinue the mixing in the meters. I just wondered why my manual didn't say I could burn E10 but said use regular 87 only. I bought several tanks of E10 and it seemed to be more crisp and registered higher mpg before going back to regular gas. I'm going to log my purchase today at Fuelly and buy E10 for a couple weeks and compare the two.

·
Registered
315 Posts
43sbest said:
I'm in Florida as well

All the fuel contains atleast 10% Ethanol. That means 87, 89, 91, 93 all have 10% Ethanol. On the toll road stations you can find E85 if you so wish, but price/performance. Around boat launchs you can usually find pure gas, and a few odd ball stations here and there

http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
222 Posts
grometsc said:
I'm in Florida as well

All the fuel contains atleast 10% Ethanol. That means 87, 89, 91, 93 all have 10% Ethanol. On the toll road stations you can find E85 if you so wish, but price/performance. Around boat launchs you can usually find pure gas, and a few odd ball stations here and there

http://pure-gas.org/
Here in Ne. 87 and 91 octane has no ethanol, but all 89 octane is E10. I don't know octane of E85, never bought any.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I may have set a fuel mileage record on sunday 8/21. Coming back from NYC to Philly I got the 29MPG sticker rating for my I4 AWD 'Nox. Just about the whole ride I was in ECO and cruise between 60 and 65. I also had the defroster on due to the rain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts