#1 ·
I'm new to the forum. Here's a pic of my 2010 equinox

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Agon5757 said:
I'm new to the forum. Here's a pic of my 2010 equinox
Welcome aboard.

One question...how are those taillights even legal? They are BLACK.

#3 ·
NY_Joe said:
Welcome aboard.

One question...how are those taillights even legal? They are BLACK.
Yes,welcome.

NY Joe, there are black out kits for all kinds of vehicles, been available for a long time.
As long as the light is visible from "X" feet when you press the brake pedal, they're OK in most areas.

#4 ·
I always wondered why people thought it was "cool" to make the rear of their car less visable, and cut down their front vision by tinting their lights. I really think it should be illegal. I'd be pretty p-o'ed if I hit a car that had it's taillights tinted.

IMHO

#8 ·
i wonder why he didnt paint the windows chrome trim black as well...

for me it's too much black... the rims are nice but i dont like the black tail lights.

#10 ·
Welcome to the boards. Not a fan of flat finished tinted tails. I also prefer the reverse lights be clear still. I still like it though.

Wheels look good. Im wondering if they are just painted rather than powder coated. Its hard to tell off the bat, but over time it will be more apparent.

#12 ·
I bought this light black out kit from auto zone for around 15 bucks. As far as i know, they're legal. I hope...
The rims are stock but I found this chrome black out kit from autozone for 16.
and i also painted the chevy emblems black. just Primer, gloss and clearcoat.

#13 ·
Agon5757 said:
I bought this light black out kit from auto zone for around 15 bucks. As far as i know, they're legal. I hope...
how about painting the calipers a contrasting color? like red/or bright silver?

#17 ·
Agon5757 said:
Just so you know, blackout kits are illegal in every state. If you read the packaging you will find the words "For off road use only", " Before installing check local laws", or some disclaimer to that effect.

The Feds set the requirements for tail and brake light visibility and the automakers are required to abide by that requirement. When you add a tinted cover or spray tint to a stock light assembly, it reduces the distance that it can be seen. Just because it can be seen from X number of feet is irrelevant. It has to have a certain brightness from X number of feet that the stock assemblies meet.

That being said, enforcement of the laws concerning blackouts is an entirely different matter. You may never have an issue or you could have one tomorrow. It's a crapshoot. Unless you add higher intensity bulbs to offset the tint or aftermarket LED assemblies (none available for the Nox or Terrain yet that i'm aware of) it becomes a safety issue as it reduces the amount of time the guy behind you has to react to the brake lights. This is especially bad in bright daylight. If someone rear ends you it could become a major issue with an insurance claim.

To me it's a little like saying to a passing cop "hey look at my lights, pull me over". I hope you don't have any issues but just be aware it could happen.

#18 ·
Black Granite LTZ said:
Just so you know, blackout kits are illegal in every state. If you read the packaging you will find the words "For off road use only", " Before installing check local laws", or some disclaimer to that effect.

The Feds set the requirements for tail and brake light visibility and the automakers are required to abide by that requirement. When you add a tinted cover or spray tint to a stock light assembly, it reduces the distance that it can be seen. Just because it can be seen from X number of feet is irrelevant. It has to have a certain brightness from X number of feet that the stock assemblies meet.

That being said, enforcement of the laws concerning blackouts is an entirely different matter. You may never have an issue or you could have one tomorrow. It's a crapshoot. Unless you add higher intensity bulbs to offset the tint or aftermarket LED assemblies (none available for the Nox or Terrain yet that i'm aware of) it becomes a safety issue as it reduces the amount of time the guy behind you has to react to the brake lights. This is especially bad in bright daylight. If someone rear ends you it could become a major issue with an insurance claim.

To me it's a little like saying to a passing cop "hey look at my lights, pull me over". I hope you don't have any issues but just be aware it could happen.
Yeah, I completely agree. There often lies a delicate balance between modifications to the car and their subsequent effects on road safety.

Turning left into my subdivision the other day (in my other car, completely stock), the car behind me was partially blinded by the sun and did not see my brake lights or turn signal until it was too late. Instead of rear ending me or ditching it, the young driver hit an oncoming car, knocking it into the ditch and spinning her own car 180 degrees. All airbags deployed and everyone was ok, but just an example on how important it is for other drivers to be able to see your car in all conditions/circumstances.

The best thing you could do is find a set of blackout covers which are designed with 'cut-outs' where the bulbs illuminate. I have seen other tail light mods in the past where the owner removed/disassembled the tail lights and added a smoked/blacked out paint finish to some areas of the light assembly. It's a bit more complicated but I have seen good results using this method.

Either way just do your best to stay visible/safe for the benefits of all drivers on the road, and keep having fun modifying your vehicle, it looks great!!

#20 ·
Dave25 said:
Welcome to the boards. Not a fan of flat finished tinted tails. I also prefer the reverse lights be clear still. I still like it though.

Wheels look good. Im wondering if they are just painted rather than powder coated. Its hard to tell off the bat, but over time it will be more apparent.
here is a shot of mine

Attachments

#21 ·
Black Granite LTZ said:

Our bulbs are nothing special, LED kits have been availalbe for years on the rear. I have them for reverse, and have had them installed over a year w/o issues

#22 ·
Hey equiNOX, Please tell the process for your smoked tails.....they look great IMHO..there's a fella here in the Phoenix area that uses a urethane paint with excellent results and very long lasting. he offers two levels of smoke. I must agree, if they're too dark, a hazard. Yours look perfectly fine. I plan on checking with the highway patrol. who needs the unwanted attention. I would love to do limo tint on my black nox,,,but its not worth the hassle. Thanks for sharing the pic..

#23 ·
The best way to black out the headlights or tail lights is to use a tinted clear coat. You'll need to prep the lamp for paint, (It's best to remove the lamps from the vehicle) then you mix in a little black base directly into the clear coat. How much black you add controls how dark the lamps get. For headlamps you'd want to use very little base, for tail lamps you can go a little darker. Using clear coat the lamps come out glossy.

#24 ·
My friend is a GA state patrol and he said the tinted covers are illegal in GA. Howver hardly inforce. The only time he writes a ticket for it is when he already has the pulled over for somthing else. He also advise me that those who have it and you are rear ended it can actualy be your fualt and not the one the hit you. Just something else to think about.

#26 ·
pawjr74 said:
The best way to black out the headlights or tail lights is to use a tinted clear coat. You'll need to prep the lamp for paint, (It's best to remove the lamps from the vehicle) then you mix in a little black base directly into the clear coat. How much black you add controls how dark the lamps get. For headlamps you'd want to use very little base, for tail lamps you can go a little darker. Using clear coat the lamps come out glossy.
Exactly what I was going to recommend. I had a body shop do this on my Grand Prix GTP and Chevy Avalanche tail lights and they came out great. It is very difficult to get the same smooth glossy results with a rattle can.

Another option is to try a tint film such as Lamin-X to cover the tail lights, since that can be easily removed. I had this on my CTS fogs and side markers and it looked good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.