GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I picked up a 2011 Granite Black Metallic Equinox LTZ AWD V6. It was a bit bittersweet because I traded in my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. I had bought the G8 before our kid came and we needed to haul around more stuff. I also relocated from California to a more rural area of Pennsylvania just outside of Pittsburgh and commute into downtown every day. Even though I had snow tires, the winter was just brutal. I had grown up in Michigan and can handle the snow. However, the mountainous terrain combined with horrible roads, maintenance, and snow removal policies made the winter much worse than it had to be.

So far, I've been loving it. Besides being AWD, it has some things that are better than the G8:

1. The Stereo. It sounds better. I spent hours tweaking the G8's stereo to make it sound how I thought it should sound. The Equinox was dead-on pretty much from the factory.
2. The tech features. I got the infotainment system. The iPod integration, in-dash nav, etc is really nice.
3. The transmission. It's much easier to drive in traffic than the G8. It costs better, it's easier to get going, it doesn't kick down and then jerk when you press the accelerator. The manual mode seems much more responsive. I use this a lot to downshift on hills.
4. The lack of wind noise. The Equinox is quieter at highway speeds than the G8 for sure.
5. Being able to carry around my wife and daughter's stuff is a big plus.
6. The interior seems much better put together. My G8's sunroof would moan when the body flexed, the glove box felt like it was going to break off, and there were all kinds of other little noises at various times.
7. The forward view.

Here's what's worse on the Equinox:

1. Acceleration. The 3.0L V6 is okay, but it's no 6.0L V8. I especially miss hitting that pedal between 40-60 and being thrown back into my seat.
2. The engine noise. The 3.0L DI V6 sounds terrible when pushed. Really, really terrible. It revs high and has an unpleasant high-pitched exhaust note. It's pretty silent on the freeway and around town, but I miss that nice rumble off the line.
3. Steering. The Equinox's steering is numb. It lacks the feel of the G8's setup. However, it is less tiresome to drive in city traffic.
4. Handing. The Equinox handles curves at speed surprisingly well, but doesn't stick to the road like the G8 does. It definitely feels top heavy.

I was able to get about $3k less than what I paid for the G8 brand new on the trade (after driving it for 2 years!), so this made things a little less painful. However, I will miss my G8 and have a lot of memories. I drove this car clear across the country with my dog - from San Francisco to Washington D.C. - Pacific to Atlantic. I couldn't ask for a more awesome car to make that trip in.

I'm definitely looking forward to making many family memories with the Equinox!

·
Registered
37 Posts
congrats on the new ride. I'm picking mine up on monday. I sort of know how you feel, the rav4 i'm trading in was much much faster then the new equinox, but i think the equinox is a better vehicle overall.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Congrats to both of you on your new and about to be new rides

1 - 3 of 3 Posts