GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i purchased 2 GMC Keyfobs on eBay for 40$ free shipping.

I managed to find a locksmith that is able to copy the blade and i programmed the key myself.

IF YOU HAVE THE 2 ORIGINALS KEYS you can program yourself the third one.

All you have to do is insert the first one and turn it to the ON position... Remove and insert the second one and also turn the key to the ON position... and do the same thing with the third one you need to program. This is it, it's done, every functions works perfectly, doors, trunk, remote start...

You can only program 3 keys on.

So here is my total cost : 20$ the key, 35$ to get it cut = 55$ (including taxes)

I called the dealer and they ask, here in Québec, about 250$ for a key if you loose one. 80$ the key, 30$ for cutting, 80$ for scanning the code and 57$ (half-hour of time), total 247$.

If you do that BEFORE you loose a key... remove the 137$ of the stealership... Still 110$...

My cost : 55$ including taxes.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Awesome info!
Thanks for sharing, SuperMat64!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tmozer said:
What was the purchase link please?
The guy from who i purchased the keys doenst have anything more to sell... I'll keep checking and if he post new items i will post the link here.

But you can try to search ebay for GMC KEY from time to time.

:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am down to one key for my Terrain. The other one exists, but is unavailable (long story). I am very worried about losing my one key/remote. Has there been any updates on having a third key made at any place other then the GM dealer?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you cannot purchase a blank key other than at a gm dealer or a gm parts store.

you can have it cutted by a locksmith.

but you'll need the gm dealer to program the key as you don't have the second key available to make the programmation yourself.

hope i answered your questions...

tmozer said:
I am down to one key for my Terrain. The other one exists, but is unavailable (long story). I am very worried about losing my one key/remote. Has there been any updates on having a third key made at any place other then the GM dealer?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Great info... Thanks for sharing... Please keep us updated with the link... :)

Cheers,

ICEBEAR

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the link... i never found another key for sale on ebay... I've been lucky i think :)

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Older topic, sorry for bumping but just wanted to add that you CAN program a new key even if you only have 1 key currently programmed.

insert programmed key turn but don't start engine, remove and repeat

next insert the new key and start the vehicle

Did this about 10 minutes ago and worked like a charm on 2010 nox which I would assume be the exact same procedure for the terrain '10

also I was able to get the key from dealer already cut, they ordered it with the VIN number for $32 shipped to my door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts