GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just ordered a 2012 Equinox (LT2, Mocha Steel Metallic, black leather), it will be my wife's DD.
We looked around at every Japanese SUV in the same class- in our opinion, nothing came close to the overall solid feel/ride of the Equinox- and nothing came with so much more for the money.
I'll start searching here on the Forum, but is there anything we should watch for with a new Equinox- any known issues, etc?
TIA!
skotti
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,548 Posts
skotti said:
I'll start searching here on the Forum, but is there anything we should watch for with a new Equinox- any known issues, etc?
TIA!
skotti
Yep - Probs with the 4 cyl., but GM seems to have finally come up with a working fix. Many complain about the 4s gas mileage. Don't hear many complaints about the 6, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Watch out for a "clanking" noise on startup that might show up in a few weeks if you have the I4 engine. If it happens, there's a recall that can be performed that seems to be fixing the problem. (There are two highly active threads in the forum discussing the problem for both the Equinox and Terrain.) The other issue to look for is poor fuel economy. If after a decent break-in period (maybe 5k miles) you are experiencing poor fuel economy you might need to get the ECM (car's computer) reprogrammed by the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
The start up noise seems mostly in a part of the 11 model. Hopefully the problem has been solved. I don't think it will impact the 2012...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
RIT333 said:
Yep - Probs with the 4 cyl., but GM seems to have finally come up with a working fix. Many complain about the 4s gas mileage. Don't hear many complaints about the 6, though.
My V6 AWD says it's getting 20 mpg avg. It's brand new so that might change.


Current: 1999 Chevy Lumina
On order: 2012 Carbon Black GMC Terrain V6 AWD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I found a 12 Equinox on a nearby dealers web site. I drove over to look at it, sold yesterday. They only had two others on the lot. I did drive one of them. Then I drove their demo Volt. That is sort of a scary car, no sound when it was running. The only sound was the noise the tires made. The dealer had only sold one so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Picked the car up last night, so far, so good ;)
Curious- the salesman (who owns a 2010 Equinox) said there is no engine 'break-in' period. However, while the owner's manual (yep, I'm one of the few who read 'em!) says there is no break-in, it does provide recommendations for initial driving habits (not exceeding certain speeds for the first XXX miles, etc).
Anyone care to comment on that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,548 Posts
skotti said:
Thanks for the replies. Picked the car up last night, so far, so good ;)
Curious- the salesman (who owns a 2010 Equinox) said there is no engine 'break-in' period. However, while the owner's manual (yep, I'm one of the few who read 'em!) says there is no break-in, it does provide recommendations for initial driving habits (not exceeding certain speeds for the first XXX miles, etc).
Anyone care to comment on that?
By searching, you can find arguments on both sides of the coin. Personally, I followed it to a T, and don't regret it !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I pretty much drove it like normal -- My wife drives it 80% of the time. I did not have her drive it differently. As we got used to it we made more demands but pretty much drove it normally. No problems. I have, intentionally, taken it out on express/highway driving to get some speed miles on it (Tried to vary) and made sure we got some high speeds runs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
skotti said:
Anyone care to comment on that?
While I don't really believe the "no break in" required, I was not able to break our 2.4L in the way I wanted. The first 200 miles were ok with varying speeds in the city and not going over 55 MPH, since that was the maximum legal speed limit near home.

But the next 1100 miles were on the interstate round trip to Minneapolis. Since the speed limit is 75 it's hard not to want to push 80-85 MPH. So all I could do is drive 20-30 minutes at one speed 65-70 MPH and then the next at a much slower speed, (55-60 MPH) and then a speed in between, and so on.

We ran with the factory oil for the first 1800 miles and then I had it changed with Dino oil. Then the next change at 4000 miles was also with Dino oil and then switched to Mobile 1. Now at 18,000 miles I'm running Dexos and have never had any start up noises like the one being discussed. We did have the HP fuel pump failure but I'm sure that's a seal issue related to fuel and not oil or break in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
2010Nox said:
Now at 18,000 miles I'm running Dexos and have never had any start up noises like the one being discussed.
It is looking more and more the 4cyl start up noise is due to a bad batch of bad solenoid valves and has nothing to do with break-in....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
It is looking more and more the 4cyl start up noise is due to a bad batch of bad solenoid valves and has nothing to do with break-in....
I would tend to agree since ours is a 2010 and I'm not sure if this model year has experienced the start up noise issue.

I do know that the HP fuel pump problem was due to some kind of seal issue that I believe has now been resolved. Or at least I hope it has since ours has had the latest upgrade replacement installed about three months ago.

Can any of the GM inside people on this forum confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
2010Nox said:
Can any of the GM inside people on this forum confirm this?
It is WAY to early to be sure -- but the prelims look OK. I wonder if those who put XXX Miles on with the noisy starts damaged the engine then those who put on less.... These things will come out in teh long run -- IF in fact, the answer was solenoid valves.


And Yes any GM Reps that can enlighten us all??? :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
2010Nox said:
I would tend to agree since ours is a 2010 and I'm not sure if this model year has experienced the start up noise issue.

I do know that the HP fuel pump problem was due to some kind of seal issue that I believe has now been resolved. Or at least I hope it has since ours has had the latest upgrade replacement installed about three months ago.

Can any of the GM inside people on this forum confirm this?
I would be happy to look into this for you but I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Please feel free to contact me privately for more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would be happy to look into this for you but I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Please feel free to contact me privately for more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Thanks Tricia, I will. What I'll ask you is whether our 2010 VIN is, or will be included in the start up noise problem, and if not why? Also I would like to know if the latest fuel pump revision we had installed is a permanent solution.

I will PM this info to you.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
skotti said:
Thanks for the replies. Picked the car up last night, so far, so good ;)
Curious- the salesman (who owns a 2010 Equinox) said there is no engine 'break-in' period. However, while the owner's manual (yep, I'm one of the few who read 'em!) says there is no break-in, it does provide recommendations for initial driving habits (not exceeding certain speeds for the first XXX miles, etc).
Anyone care to comment on that?
GM vehicles have been that way for years. The varying speeds is most important.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Seems like the most frequent issues with the 4cyl, which are almost always fixable, unless you get a genuine lemon... are the start-up noise, and stalling. My car stalled for the first time after we had owned it for 3 weeks. The start-up noise began about a month later and became chronic within weeks, which also brought on other problems. It didn't stall again though until we'd had it for a total of 3 1/2 months. ...point being, as soon as anything like that might happen, at least get it documented for Warranty's sake. Hopefully they've fixed these issues with the 2012 though. (don't freak out, there are solutions for these issues)

As far as break-in...I don't know. But I would **absolutely** recommend changing your oil at around 2000 miles, even though it won't be required at that point. It helps, in many ways I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So first problem occurred today- while stopped at a traffic light, in gear, brake applied, the car 'shuddered' for about 1-2 seconds, no lights in the display/no CEL. Engine was warmed up, total mileage on vehicle is 330 miles. Drove fine the rest of the day. Off to the dealer we go- hoping the ECU has a code stored with the cause...

UPDATE: No issue found- no code in the ECU. Technician said driving in the 'ECO' mode can cause the car to idle at a lower RPM, which coupled with possibly the AC on, caused a momentary rough idle.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top