GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about installing a Flowmaster 50 Deltaflow onto my Terrain. Has anyone done this or installed an aftermarket exhaust? I've been looking online and none of the mufflers I've seen match up spec wise to the Terrain's unique single inlet/dual outlet design. I'm wondering if it has to be a custom job. I just don't wanna get ripped off at the muffler shop. Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Also, has anyone installed a performance muffler on the 4Banger? I was curious. I had a Dynamax Turbo that I put on my old Sonoma (4.3 V6) with a dump that I really liked the sound. Was wondering if it's possible to get that low, grunting sounding on the 4 without sounding like a fartcan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
I haven't changed the OEM muffler out, but I have removed the rear Cat and resonator and it makes the V6 growl really well.
Not loud enough to be a bother and no drone at all.
Just to free up the some restriction in the exhaust flow.
[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Most mods on the exhaust system will affect the backpressure of the engine and therefore, create issues with your emissions along with reducing the efficiency (fuel economy) of your engine. You'd be surprised how well tuned your engine is for the "stock" exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
godcore74 said:
I would like to keep my cats intact to keep from issues with inspections.
[

To clarify - only the rear cat (not plural) was removed, you still have two more up front (V6 models). By removing the rear cat only, there is no increase in sound levels. By removing the resonator in conjunction with the rear cat - the exhaust note increase is minimal.
Drive respectively and you won't have any issues.
As for emission tests, the main purpose of the rear cat is to regulate the HC, NOx and CO levels on cold start ups before the front cats reach their min. operating temps of 400-600 deg F. So but the time you back out of your driveway and drive a few blocks, the cats should be up to their 1200-1600 deg. range. So unless the Inspectors are living in your house - you'll be fine. [/color]



quote author=EDwardo link=topic=3707.msg49092#msg49092 date=1322516059]
Most mods on the exhaust system will affect the backpressure of the engine and therefore, create issues with your emissions along with reducing the efficiency (fuel economy) of your engine. You'd be surprised how well tuned your engine is for the "stock" exhaust.

[/quote]

'Well tuned?' GM's engines are tuned so rich that if one could run a hose from the exhaust manifold to your lawn-mower, you could cut your grass for free. :D
The engine management controls can adjust for minor changes. Be like installing a CAI, omitting OEM exhaust items have the same response, parameters within the computers allow for adjustment.

Just my two cents, cheers
[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Every vehicle i have ever cared enough about had a magnaflow system. I am afraid to do it on the Terrain. I hear soooo many terrible 4cyl cars and trucks buzzing around i do not want to sound like that.

Anyone have sound clips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
godcore74 said:
Also, has anyone installed a performance muffler on the 4Banger? I was curious. I had a Dynamax Turbo that I put on my old Sonoma (4.3 V6) with a dump that I really liked the sound. Was wondering if it's possible to get that low, grunting sounding on the 4 without sounding like a fartcan.

That is a tricky thing to do on a 4cyl.
The best exhaust on a 4cyl 2.4 ( an Ecotec mind you) I have heard, came from a Ractive set-up.
A very pleasing low bass growl even up through to red-line. Which surprised me.
If I were to replace the OEM muffler, I'd have my Hubby try a Borla if one could be found.
[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
OnxBear said:
That is a tricky thing to do on a 4cyl.
The best exhaust on a 4cyl 2.4 ( an Ecotec mind you) I have heard, came from a Ractive set-up.
A very pleasing low bass growl even up through to red-line. Which surprised me.
If I were to replace the OEM muffler, I'd have my Hubby try a Borla if one could be found.
[/color]
I would not believe that unless i heard it. To be totally honest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Borla is too rich for my blood.
I will ask around at some of the local shops. I don't want the stupid fart can sound like these dudes with 100hp Civics and Sentras or Geos. I'll probably just leave it alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Does anyone have it installed on the V6? I want to get it, but I wanted to hear how it sounded on it before I switched it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Cameron said:
I would not believe that unless i heard it. To be totally honest.

That's totally understandable.
Car belongs to a friend of my Hubbies, so if your ever about 3 hrs East of Edm. you could here it.

You only have until March though as his new Mini Broadspeed is on order. ;D ;D[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
USFwrestler said:
Does anyone have it installed on the V6? I want to get it, but I wanted to hear how it sounded on it before I switched it up
'It' as in a Borla?
I don't think they have made anything for the Terrain - nor do I think they will - I'll have to do some 'net' surfin' to see.[/color]
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
35 Posts
OnxBear said:
'It' as in a Borla?
I don't think they have made anything for the Terrain - nor do I think they will - I'll have to do some 'net' surfin' to see.[/color]
I checked out Borla's website. It doesn't look like they are going to be making one. However, Magnaflow has a part number listed for the Terrains, but not the Equinox for some reason. It is not for sale yet. I am curious to hear how it sounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
98SilvZ71 said:
I checked out Borla's website. It doesn't look like they are going to be making one. However, Magnaflow has a part number listed for the Terrains, but not the Equinox for some reason. It is not for sale yet. I am curious to hear how it sounds.
Nice, good info.
I'm not sure either, what sound difference there may be between a Magnaflow and OEM especially with the resonator in front of it.[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
My experience is all 4-bangers make the fart can sound, and only 6's (and up) start to sound "good"... ie. i have a 3" straight pipe on my Skyline which is an inline 6 and it has a really low, deep rumble. Reputable muffler companies (Borla and magnaflow, for example) often post sound clips or videos on their sites for each respective product. Has anyone checked youtube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
robotpepper said:
My experience is all 4-bangers make the fart can sound, and only 6's (and up) start to sound "good"... ie. i have a 3" straight pipe on my Skyline which is an inline 6 and it has a really low, deep rumble. Reputable muffler companies (Borla and magnaflow, for example) often post sound clips or videos on their sites for each respective product. Has anyone checked youtube?
NICE!!!
Third generation R-32
V-spec by chance?
My Hubby has the 'Big' brother in Ivory Pearl in the garage, OnxBear gets to snuggle with it at nite' ;) [/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top