GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post. Just got a new Equinox last week, a blue 1LT FWD, with the 4 cylinder, driver convenience package and cargo management package. Loving it so far! This is the first American nameplate car I've bought in 30 years of driving, and needless to say, my first Chevy. Before now I was a die-hard import buyer, mostly Japanese brands -- Honda/Acura, Subaru, Mazda, and a boatload of old air-cooled VWs. In the past I was suspicious of the quality but I know GM (and Ford) improved dramatically in recent years to the point where they're quite competitive, both from a reliability standpoint as well as performance. I test drove a VW TDI Sportwagen, Subaru Outback, Subaru Forester, Mazda 5, Ford Escape, and the Equinox. I also considered, but didn't test drive, a Honda CRV, Rav4, Nissan Rogue, and a couple others I've already forgotten the names of. The others were nice vehicles, especially the VW with panoramic sunroof...well, the Mazda 5 wasn't so great...but the Equinox just blew them all away. Quiet, comfortable, spacious, beautiful interior, there was just no comparison. As the wife said, the other cars had no "wow factor".

So with a bit of trepidation and disbelief(!) I took the plunge. So far we're loving the 'Nox, 500 miles already! She can't get the keys away from me. ;D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Congratulations. Im glad you found something you liked. It seems you did a lot of research and found the "best" option. I think you will come to enjoy the vehicle, and if you have any questions feel free to let us know. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mnussbaum said:
She can't get the keys away from me. ;D
:D
Wife gets mad and your in trouble for a long time.
Might want to let her dive it a least once a month before its to late.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Congrats on your new Nox. Sounds like you did your homework!

We too were looking at several different vehicles to replace our aging Pontiac van and although I am a GM fan, I was a little put off recently by the issues we had with the 3.4L in the van.

When I first saw the new Nox I was very impressed by it's exterior styling but was skeptical especially since I heard about issues with the pre-2010 models. So we took one for a test drive and I was impressed so we ordered a FWD 4 cyl. 1LT with VIP (bluetooth, remote start, etc.), pioneer system and cargo cover. 16K (10,000 miles) so far, consistent average of 8.3L/100K combined and still like it very much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You and I both are new owners -- with very similiar sounding cars. Only I did not get the cargo package, but have been thinking about getting it to add on my own. What are your impressions? (I haven't actually seen one yet).

I also have been a buyer of different brands, my last GM car was an '84 Skyhawk (and if you know anything about those, you probably understand the 27 model year gap in my interest!) Although I did buy a 2000 Chevy Prism, I consider that a Toyota not a GM (still going today, best car I have ever owned. Never had to replace anything except oil, brakes, battery, and tires!)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Hi, first post. Just got a new Equinox last week, a blue 1LT FWD, with the 4 cylinder, driver convenience package and cargo management package. Loving it so far! This is the first American nameplate car I've bought in 30 years of driving, and needless to say, my first Chevy. Before now I was a die-hard import buyer, mostly Japanese brands -- Honda/Acura, Subaru, Mazda, and a boatload of old air-cooled VWs. In the past I was suspicious of the quality but I know GM (and Ford) improved dramatically in recent years to the point where they're quite competitive, both from a reliability standpoint as well as performance. I test drove a VW TDI Sportwagen, Subaru Outback, Subaru Forester, Mazda 5, Ford Escape, and the Equinox. I also considered, but didn't test drive, a Honda CRV, Rav4, Nissan Rogue, and a couple others I've already forgotten the names of. The others were nice vehicles, especially the VW with panoramic sunroof...well, the Mazda 5 wasn't so great...but the Equinox just blew them all away. Quiet, comfortable, spacious, beautiful interior, there was just no comparison. As the wife said, the other cars had no "wow factor".

So with a bit of trepidation and disbelief(!) I took the plunge. So far we're loving the 'Nox, 500 miles already! She can't get the keys away from me. ;D
Sounds A LOT like me...my Nox was the first American vehicle in over 20 years, and also owned an assortment of Honda/Acuras, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda...and never thought a small SUV from one of the big 3 would impress me. I test drove the CRV, RAV4, Murano, Rogue, Tucson, as well as the Ford Edge/Escape...and although some of them had some good qualities..none was the total package like the Equinox. After such a long time where I discounted American vehicles as inferior to their import counterparts..it feels good to be back.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phantm006 said:
Congratulations. Im glad you found something you liked. It seems you did a lot of research and found the "best" option. I think you will come to enjoy the vehicle, and if you have any questions feel free to let us know. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! Yes, I did a TON of research, including reading a lot of on-line magazine and owner reviews. I also did a bit of searching on this (and other) forums to see what people liked and what kinds of problems they were having, if any. The car really has gotten rave reviews!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MadMark said:
You and I both are new owners -- with very similiar sounding cars. Only I did not get the cargo package, but have been thinking about getting it to add on my own. What are your impressions? (I haven't actually seen one yet).
So I bought the car off the lot--actually the dealer swapped with another local dealer for the car, and it came with the cargo package factory installed. From what I can tell it's basically the rear cargo shade, grocery netting, and roof rack crossbars. I wouldn't necessarily have ordered the crossbars on their own because I may never use them but they came with the package. They do look good I suppose, so we'll see. And same thing with the net. But I definitely appreciate the cargo shade. It's a cheap enough package though and you can order all the parts separately if you wanted them. At time of purchase the dealer offered me any accessories at cost, you might be able to do the same. I think dealer cost on the shade is only about $65, well worth it. Retail is $89, even that's not bad.

MadMark said:
I also have been a buyer of different brands, my last GM car was an '84 Skyhawk (and if you know anything about those, you probably understand the 27 model year gap in my interest!) Although I did buy a 2000 Chevy Prism, I consider that a Toyota not a GM (still going today, best car I have ever owned. Never had to replace anything except oil, brakes, battery, and tires!)

Enjoy!
;D Makes me laugh, the wife used to own an '84 Pontiac Sunbird, basically the same car. She had SO many problems with hers, I understand the gap--it turned her off to American cars as well. Finally traded the Sunbird in Dec 1990 for a '91 Civic, that car was bullet proof. Well, except for when a tire went flat at 15,000 miles, it seems Honda aligned the front end to severely incorrect specs at the factory and wore out the inside edges of the tires, but I digress... :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NoobNox said:
Sounds A LOT like me...my Nox was the first American vehicle in over 20 years, and also owned an assortment of Honda/Acuras, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda...and never thought a small SUV from one of the big 3 would impress me. I test drove the CRV, RAV4, Murano, Rogue, Tucson, as well as the Ford Edge/Escape...and although some of them had some good qualities..none was the total package like the Equinox. After such a long time where I discounted American vehicles as inferior to their import counterparts..it feels good to be back.
Yeah, kind of hard to believe I took the plunge! Not that any car maker is perfect, but a couple things turned me off to most of the imports...

• Honda-fragile automatic transmissions, ridiculously high failure rate (our 2001 Odyssey gave us a good scare which is what prompted us to buy a new car. Ultimately it didn't need a transmission rebuild but I wasn't interested in blowing $2500 on a 10-year-old car). And the CRV and Pilot that we might have considered are both heavy and I'd lost confidence in Honda's automatics.
  • Nissan-fragile CVT transmissions, near as bad as Honda. And not particularly attractive (IMHO).
  • Toyota-too many safety-related issues and problems recently.
  • Subaru-fine cars, probably reliable, but ultimately I found the Outback claustrophobic and the Forester plain-Jane and dull.
  • Mazda-I actually have a Mazda 3 and love it! But the 5 is out of production, and I don't think much of the CX-7 or CX-9.
  • Hyundai-styling, styling, styling. Pass.
  • Ford Escape-(I know, not an import but one of the few American cars I considered!) I actually liked it when I drove one in the summer but the wife had trouble getting in and out. Not sure I'd have bought one though since it's an old design and a new one is coming out next year.

·
Registered
332 Posts
mnussbaum said:
;D Makes me laugh, the wife used to own an '84 Pontiac Sunbird, basically the same car. She had SO many problems with hers, I understand the gap--it turned her off to American cars as well. Finally traded the Sunbird in Dec 1990 for a '91 Civic, that car was bullet proof. Well, except for when a tire went flat at 15,000 miles...
What I have to say to this is that since the day that I was able to drive, and please don't ask how long ago, I had GM's. At 16 yrs old I had a '67 Malibu, then a '71 T37 Lemans, a '78 Cutlass Supreme, a '81 Malibu, a '82 S10, a '84 Camaro, (my wife's actually), a '85 Jimmy, a '92 GMC Sierra, a '99 Transsport, a '00 Malibu and now a '06 Sierra and a 2010 Nox. Most of the "upgrades" were due to either our requirements changing or our desires.

Not one of those cars have ever left me stranded anywhere or at anytime, and other than the '99 Transsport, I parted with them when they had a minimum of 200,000 to 300,000 kms. We still are driving the '00 Malibu and of course the Sierra and Nox. Regular maintenance was, in the most part performed by myself.

There's my, our, opinion of the domestics vs the imports, so I may be considered one of the domestic car loving "dinosaurs".

Yes many imports are reliable but all of my domestics have been as well and the maintenance and parts didn't cost me a small fortune.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Yeah, kind of hard to believe I took the plunge! Not that any car maker is perfect, but a couple things turned me off to most of the imports...

• Honda-fragile automatic transmissions, ridiculously high failure rate (our 2001 Odyssey gave us a good scare which is what prompted us to buy a new car. Ultimately it didn't need a transmission rebuild but I wasn't interested in blowing $2500 on a 10-year-old car). And the CRV and Pilot that we might have considered are both heavy and I'd lost confidence in Honda's automatics.
  • Nissan-fragile CVT transmissions, near as bad as Honda. And not particularly attractive (IMHO).
  • Toyota-too many safety-related issues and problems recently.
  • Subaru-fine cars, probably reliable, but ultimately I found the Outback claustrophobic and the Forester plain-Jane and dull.
  • Mazda-I actually have a Mazda 3 and love it! But the 5 is out of production, and I don't think much of the CX-7 or CX-9.
  • Hyundai-styling, styling, styling. Pass.
  • Ford Escape-(I know, not an import but one of the few American cars I considered!) I actually liked it when I drove one in the summer but the wife had trouble getting in and out. Not sure I'd have bought one though since it's an old design and a new one is coming out next year.
For me it was a lot of the same witha few differences..

Honda- my last Honda was a 92 Prelude, and funny you should mention the tranny...since the car was relatively trouble free until the 5 speed self destructed one day. Of course it did have over 90k miles on it at the time.
Nissan- I really liked the Murano, (also tested the Rogue and found it too small) but felt the price was a little too high with not much justification. Also the CVT sounded/felt odd to me...it would take some getting used to.
Toyota- their current issues don't really scare me away..my first car in high school was an 86 Corolla GTS (AE86 engine) that was used when I got it, and still had the original tranny/clutch working decently when I sold it with 157k miles on it. I loved that car
Subaru- have never driven or owned a Subaru...guess I'm just not a Subaru type person.
Mazda- my last car before the Nox was a Mazda 6.....good car with nice handling, but some minor quality control issues with interior pieces. I didn't test drive any Mazdz SUV/CUV's.
Hyundai- They are making good vehicles now, but I still can't get past the stigma of the early pieces of junk they sent to us in the early 90's. The Tucson I drove was nice...just not nice enough to make it to the top of my list.
Ford Escape/Edge- I liked these far more than I expected I would...and earlier experience with a 89 Mustang kind of soured me on all things Ford for a long time. I liked the looks of the Escape, but the slightly choppy ride and so so interior was it's downfall. The Edge was nicer to drive, but also had a somewhat bland interior..kind of odd exterior, and priced itself out of the competition.

The bottom line is that both GM and Ford are making vehicles that are truly competitive with the best imports in the same price range. In fact, a buddy of mine has an 08 Malibu LTZ and his wife drives and 08 Honda Accord...and both like the Malibu better. It certainly has the Accord beat for exterior/interior styling...and the Accord is the only one that has been back to the dealership to fix a minor issue. When going somewhere together they always choose the Malibu...I think that says a lot.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2010Nox said:
Not one of those cars have ever left me stranded anywhere or at anytime, and other than the '99 Transsport, I parted with them when they had a minimum of 200,000 to 300,000 kms. We still are driving the '00 Malibu and of course the Sierra and Nox. Regular maintenance was, in the most part performed by myself.There's my, our, opinion of the domestics vs the imports, so I may be considered one of the domestic car loving "dinosaurs".

Yes many imports are reliable but all of my domestics have been as well and the maintenance and parts didn't cost me a small fortune.
Doing your own maintenance is a HUGE factor, I think. My wife had very bad experiences with her Pontiac at a variety of shops but once she found a reliable mechanic, he managed to solve the electrical gremlins. Then the car was fine. I do think assembly quality was highly variable back then as well. Get a good one and it would run for hundreds of thousands of miles with little trouble.

And as far as import reliability, well, check this out, even Wikipedia is in on it (read about transmission issues):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts