GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2010 Equinox LS in July 2009, when they first hit the dealerships. While the engine ran well in the beginning, it started to idle roughly and start to sound abnormal. Each time I brought the vehicle in for service they would state nothing is wrong, especially since the check engine light was never on. Gradually the engine started developing a ticking or pinging sound upon acceleration and idle cruising speeds. At 32000 miles, 3 weeks ago, I brought the vehicle in for a state inspection, complaining once again about the engine. They agreed it didn't sound perfect so they agreed to replace the timing belt, which they stated would make the engine run quieter.

The timing belt was replaced 2 weeks ago. A couple of days after I brought the car home, I noticed a brownish oil on my driveway. I probably should have called the dealer then, but didn't. However, this week my engine started sounding the worse it ever has. I drove it to the dealer last night and they agreed it sounded wrong. I had to bring it back this morning.

I just received a call from the dealer and GM has decided to replace the entire engine. I was so shocked that I didn't even ask them any questions. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure what to ask.

I'm reaching out to see what should I be concerned about with a new engine and what questions should I ask. The most obvious would be how an engine would go bad so quickly. The one saving grace is I am still under warranty.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Craig

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Craig,

I am glad to hear that your concern seems to be getting addressed. Please feel free to keep me posted. If you have any further questions or concerns you can contact me via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
be grateful your getting a new engine..and its under warranty...wish I could get a new engine!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am assuming you have the 4 cylinder, and I would highly doubt a timing CHAIN problem, more like a timing CHAIN tensioner issue possibly. Chains typically last about 300,000 miles in a good engine that doesnt have a lot of fuel dilution that destorys the oil viscosity. But these engines do have fuel dilution issues. What was your MPG like? How did it perform? Did the dealer not discuss anything about the camshaft actuators?

·
Registered
341 Posts
wrusprod said:
be grateful your getting a new engine..and its under warranty...wish I could get a new engine!
Russ, (off topic but) do you know if that replacement would show up on a Car Fax report if he ever wanted to sell it? If so, would that reflect negatively on the sale?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
good question..I dont know.. :-\

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well the new engine would be covered by the warranty though, right?
I wouldn't imagine someone being deterred by a GM engine replacement early on, if it ran fine for the past tens of thousands of miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts