GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Wife and I just purchased two 2018 Equinox. I needed a new car for work, my traverse was on its last leg, and the interest rates are great so i replaced the old HHR my wife was driving as well. Both are AWD. The wife's in Red has the 1.5T in it. Mine in black has the 2.0T. Both are peppy but mine is the fastest car I've owned. Came to the forum to seek and provide service information. I've always been a do it yourself kind of person. Hope to chat with you all soon on the forums.

Kevin

·
Registered
976 Posts
Looks good.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Wow! You’re “all in” on a first-model-year vehicle. Wishing you “Good Luck”.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In GM we trust I guess. These are the fourth and fifth Chevy I've owned. Traded in an '09 Traverse and an '07 HHR. Minus the fuel lines failing recently on the HHR i never had a single major issue with it up to 175k. The Traverse on the other hand was the worst when it came to maintenance. The 3.6 V6 ate timing chains. It got three and was in need of another when i turned it in. won't catch me with that motor again. '97 K1500 that you can see peeking out in the background has somewhere around 250k, odometer is broken on 239k. Blowby is starting to become apparent and ive only put intake manifold gaskets on it. My late friend owned it previously and had diligent service records, nothing i would consider major. I have cautious "faith" in GM based on my experiences.

probably more than you wanted in response.....

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Co-worker has an ‘09 Traverse. Had crossed 200,000 with it when the chain let go. Q4 last year he threw in a Jasper reman engine. Turned out to be bad, so they shipped a 2nd one. Haven’t heard how that one’s doing yet. Think it cost him around $3500 for the engine and $1000+ labor, with 3-year warranty from Jasper.

I’m approaching the window for my next new vehicle purchase. My 2011 V6 Nox has been very good, and I like the *look* of the new ones, but I’m not as brave as you are...

Once again: Good Luck, Good Luck

Reactions: masterchief1112

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Those are great looking vehicles!

I realize the 2018 is a substantial revision from the previous model years of the Equinox, but I have found a lot of similarities between it and the 2014-2016 Malibu. The 2.0T has been used in numerous applications back to at least 2013--Malibu, Buick, Camaro, Cadillac, etc. The suspension/platform is essentially the same as well. The 1.5T-- I believe-- has been used previously in the Cruze. Granted, the 9-speed transmission is new this year. For the most part, and I certainly may be mistaken, it appears that the Equinox is not a "clean-sheet" new build. The body is new, but that shouldn't bring any mechanical issues. JMHO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum. Those are great looking vehicles!

I realize the 2018 is a substantial revision from the previous model years of the Equinox, but I have found a lot of similarities between it and the 2014-2016 Malibu. The 2.0T has been used in numerous applications back to at least 2013--Malibu, Buick, Camaro, Cadillac, etc. The suspension/platform is essentially the same as well. The 1.5T-- I believe-- has been used previously in the Cruze. Granted, the 9-speed transmission is new this year. For the most part, and I certainly may be mistaken, it appears that the Equinox is not a "clean-sheet" new build. The body is new, but that shouldn't bring any mechanical issues. JMHO
Thanks for the welcome. Your theory weighed heavily in my choice. Never had the 2.0T in the household but had 2 2.2L EcoTecs. one in the hhr and the other in my wife grand am she had. both had 175k when we got rid of them. Im optimistic.

So far not a huge fan of the "auto stop" but getting used to it. Question starter longevity. The fact that the DIC doesn't stay on the page you left it on when you turned it off annoys me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congratulations, Master Chief. We Know Who Has All the Money (or) Did Have All the Money. Wise Not Show Your License Plates. I Suppose You Were a Navy Master Chief. Regardless, Welcome Aboard! This is a Great Blog. Keep Us Posted on Reliability of New 18's May Be My Next Move. I've Got a 2014 Terrain 3.6L LFX Engine.

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
Hello All,

Wife and I just purchased two 2018 Equinox. I needed a new car for work, my traverse was on its last leg, and the interest rates are great so i replaced the old HHR my wife was driving as well. Both are AWD. The wife's in Red has the 1.5T in it. Mine in black has the 2.0T. Both are peppy but mine is the fastest car I've owned. Came to the forum to seek and provide service information. I've always been a do it yourself kind of person. Hope to chat with you all soon on the forums.

Kevin

I'm curious - Does one of your cars have HIDs and the other have LED headlights ? If so, are the LEDs significantly better ? From a side view, they both appear to be the same brightness, but I would have expected the LEDs to be whiter. I have noticed that my '18s HID are quite a bit brighter than the kit I had put on my '10 Equinox with projectors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations, Master Chief. We Know Who Has All the Money (or) Did Have All the Money. Wise Not Show Your License Plates. I Suppose You Were a Navy Master Chief. Regardless, Welcome Aboard! This is a Great Blog. Keep Us Posted on Reliability of New 18's May Be My Next Move. I've Got a 2014 Terrain 3.6L LFX Engine.
Thanks for the welcome. Not Navy. I’ve used this username since I was a kid. It’s in reference to a video game I was obcessed with...

Hiding the plates wasn’t intentional. My plate is my Ham radio call and it’s registered to my PO box because they are so easy to lookup. Wife’s car just doesn’t have the front plate yet.

Trust me if anything goes wrong or right I’ll try to make sure it’s here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm curious - Does one of your cars have HIDs and the other have LED headlights ? If so, are the LEDs significantly better ? From a side view, they both appear to be the same brightness, but I would have expected the LEDs to be whiter. I have noticed that my '18s HID are quite a bit brighter than the kit I had put on my '10 Equinox with projectors.
Both have the HIDs. They are much whiter in person. I will say they are a bit blinding when they reflect off my white garage door in the morning.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The fact that the DIC doesn't stay on the page you left it on when you turned it off annoys me.
Do both cars do that?

I have mine on the digital speedometer and speed limit sign, and it stays on that page unless I change it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Both do it. They default to the digital speedometer.
Maybe that's why mine never changes :grin:
I'll change to a different page and see what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah please let me know. I’m curious if it’s just something with the software that’s on our vehicles. The dealer seemed surprised by it as well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yeah please let me know. I’m curious if it’s just something with the software that’s on our vehicles. The dealer seemed surprised by it as well.
Mine stays on the page I set. I tried the tire pressure page and one of the gas mileage pages and they they do not reset back to the digital speedo when shut off and restart.
The fact that both of your are the same makes me wonder if there was a software change.
What's the manufacture date on both of yours. It's on the driver side door jam.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts