GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced a 5 year old battery with a new one, the new battery drained a few times overnight.
The battery read 12.3v & 14+v when running the engine.
I did a parasitic test which reads .23 Amps draw, although my stereo light will go on (not the entire stereo) while performing the test which cannot be avoided.
That stereo light is not on when the SUV is shut down overnight.
I suppose I will start pulling out fuses to see if there is a drop in draw when it gets warmer outside.
In the meantime I purchased a Booster Pack in order not to be left in the cold.
Wondering if around .23 Amps draw is normal for a Equinox 2005.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
230 milliamps should not drain a battery over night. That sounds about normal for all the electronics in their non running idle state with ignition off. Unless there is something more at play that isn't a constant current draw.

Sometimes batteries sit on store shelves for quite some time and cells can be compromised.

my 2 cents. . .. .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JayTee2014 said:
230 milliamps should not drain a battery over night. That sounds about normal for all the electronics in their non running idle state with ignition off. Unless there is something more at play that isn't a constant current draw.

Sometimes batteries sit on store shelves for quite some time and cells can be compromised.

my 2 cents. . .. .
Actually this my second new battery from Walmart under warranty, the drain happened more frequently on the first battery.
Walmart replaced it (for the same reason you mentioned) as I insisted the battery most likely had a bad cell.
Good to know that 230 MilliAmps isn't an excessive drain. I will need to investigate further when the weather warms up.
The good news is I still have another 2.5 years warranty for the battery if that is the issue once again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts