GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Equinox with approx. 5,500 miles and I am seeing little orange/brown dots on the paint where the door skin rolls over the door structure (just below the weather strip... inside). Other side front door orange/brown dots where the weather strip contacts the door jamb (and they can be felt when I rub my finger across them). Tried to wipe them off when washing vehicle with soap and water... no deal. I can probably buff them away with a lite compound but if it's rust... it'll be back. Besides, it's a new car... shouldn't have to do that. I used to paint cars a long time ago... this looks like RUST. Anybody else seeing this (on a painted surface)?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
romeloson said:
2011 Equinox with approx. 5,500 miles and I am seeing little orange/brown dots on the paint where the door skin rolls over the door structure (just below the weather strip... inside). Other side front door orange/brown dots where the weather strip contacts the door jamb (and they can be felt when I rub my finger across them). Tried to wipe them off when washing vehicle with soap and water... no deal. I can probably buff them away with a lite compound but if it's rust... it'll be back. Besides, it's a new car... shouldn't have to do that. I used to paint cars a long time ago... this looks like RUST. Anybody else seeing this (on a painted surface)?
comes with having a white vehicle...every white vehicle I've owned has had this happen to it
Will wax off, It's not rust

·
Registered
83 Posts
Please take a photo and post.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Unless the body panels on your particular Nox somehow missed the corrosion inhibiter dip at the factory...you shouldn't have any rust at this point even driving on salty roads all winter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's just contamination on the paint from the airbourne particles in the atmosphere. Use the clay bar (there is another thread on here about that) and wax method and it will come right off and look like new again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's probably rail dust from shipping. Clay bar the vehicle and it will go away.

·
Registered
978 Posts
dishdude said:
It's just contamination on the paint from the airbourne particles in the atmosphere. Use the clay bar (there is another thread on here about that) and wax method and it will come right off and look like new again!
Agree

SS#1531 said:
It's probably rail dust from shipping. Clay bar the vehicle and it will go away.
Agree again

And...if you live in even a semi-industrial area...or East of one...and/or have railroad tracks to the West of you within 10/15 miles...even after you Clay it...you will no doubt see it again in a year of so

Happens to all colors...most noticable on white

CLAY First !!! do NOT buff

·
Registered
163 Posts
dishdude said:
Most often brake dust particules are the problem. They actually imbed in the finish and begin to rust. Doest show as much on the darker car finish but its important to stay ahead of it. Get the surface clean and then protect it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response all, you're probably right about the semi-metallic brake dust getting on the car. I hadn't thought about brake dust. Hope that's all it is as it really had me spun up when I saw that rust on the paint... especially this early on. I attached the photos for reference and the size of the spots versus my left pointer finger. Where do I get a clay bar?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your problem is a lot worse than what Ive seen on my truck. When washing it a few weeks ago I noticed these little brown dots on my doors and fenders and stuff. The came off with some heavy elbow grease. Whats the deal? Do I need to get a coat of wax on it?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just noticed one on my door yesterday (Exterior). Very small. I washed and used a wax and dry still there. I'll have to get a clay bar and see what happens. Mine is Mocha

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just went to the garage. Put a little Saliva on my finger and it rubbed right off. It's almost like a rust stain maybe from the brakes.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
romeloson said:
Thanks for the response all, you're probably right about the semi-metallic brake dust getting on the car. I hadn't thought about brake dust. Hope that's all it is as it really had me spun up when I saw that rust on the paint... especially this early on. I attached the photos for reference and the size of the spots versus my left pointer finger. Where do I get a clay bar?
Do the spots feel rough..or bubbled..? If not..try a little Meguiars Deep Crystal 'polish' before trying cleaner wax. The polish isn't as abrasive as cleaner wax...and much easier on the clearcoat. Claybar using Quik detailing spray wax for lube would be my next approach at getting the spots off. You can get the claybarring kits practically anywhere....AutoZone...Walmart..etc. The kits include everything you need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you rust sports have to do with break dust or metal picked up from road dirt.
i noticed rust spots on the rear quarter panel and i wiped it off, nothing was there.
so i looked further down on the plastic bumper and i noticed the same thing with the rust sport. now i know plastic don't rust so i am no longer concrened. wash often in the winter, oil guard in the fall and spit shine in summer.
good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To me it looks like tar, by looking at the picture. Here in the south, the hot weather causes the tar in the asphalt to get soft and the tire slings it onto the car body. Comes off with wax easily.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is why I never will buy a white vehicle again. In northern ohio - it is not unusual to see white cars from all manufacturers during the winter covered in orange "freckles" along the lower half of the car and on the back of the bumper/trunk lid. It seems worst on vehicles with rear disc brakes and is probably metal dust from the metalic brake pads landing on the surface and rusting. I had this on two white vehicles and spent lots of time removing it (before clay bars were popular).

It occurs on other colors too - but it is hard to see unless it is white.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have already had the lift gate on my 2011 Equinox repainted for rust. The body shop at my dealership said it wasn't in the primer, but above it and because it was in the paint, it happened between the processes. I picked it up the weekend before Christmas. It gets washed weekly and sometimes more due to weather. My vehicle is silver and now I'm seeing more rust. This is just not acceptable for a new vehicle.

Previously I haven't had any issues w/my Chevy vehicles. Matter of fact, this one replaced my 2002 Impala with 245,000 miles on it. The impala only had a small patch of rust from the paint chipping at the bottom of the vehicle when it had over 100,000 miles. This just isn't the usual Chevy quality that I'm used to.

I see everyone talking about fixes, however I would take it into the dealership. The more issues they log, the quicker we can get GM to look at the underlying issue. Something just isn't right.

Just thought I'd add my experience to the discussion. Thx

·
Registered
698 Posts
amgrass623 said:
I have already had the lift gate on my 2011 Equinox repainted for rust. The body shop at my dealership said it wasn't in the primer, but above it and because it was in the paint, it happened between the processes. I picked it up the weekend before Christmas. It gets washed weekly and sometimes more due to weather. My vehicle is silver and now I'm seeing more rust. This is just not acceptable for a new vehicle.

Previously I haven't had any issues w/my Chevy vehicles. Matter of fact, this one replaced my 2002 Impala with 245,000 miles on it. The impala only had a small patch of rust from the paint chipping at the bottom of the vehicle when it had over 100,000 miles. This just isn't the usual Chevy quality that I'm used to.

I see everyone talking about fixes, however I would take it into the dealership. The more issues they log, the quicker we can get GM to look at the underlying issue. Something just isn't right.

Just thought I'd add my experience to the discussion. Thx
Does yours have a sunroof? I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact they are shipping the bodies to Oshawa from Ingersoll.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts