GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just bought a new 18 Denali last weekend and we are loving it so far.
Metallic grey with comfort package, advanced safety package, towing equipment and driver alert package 2 plus a lifetime power train warranty! if anyone has specific questions about something they are not sure about on the new terrain, feel free to ask! ill post pics later!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tell me more about the lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
Doesn't sound right. According to the GMC website in Canada (at least) the warranty is:

Corrosion Protection 3 Years/60,000 km
Rust-Through 6 Years/160,000 km
New Vehicle Limited Warranty 3 Years/60,000 km
Powertrain Limited Warranty 5 Years/160,000 km
Roadside Assistance Program 5 Years/160,000 km

Maybe a dealer offered warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it pretty much just covers the powertrain from failure due to a defect for the life of the vehicle while I own it. It does not cover failure due to old age, or replacement of parts for routine maintenance. I am also required to maintain copies of all maintenance and repairs, and all maintenance/repairs must be authorized in advanced.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would be interested to talk again in 5+ years once the GM powertrain is gone and see how issues are dealt with and if the dealer honours or finds holes in the contract. I'm assuming this came at an extra cost? This would have been a blessing for 10/11 owners with engine/tranny issues. with the 18 I have concerns for the future with that push button transmission, having warranty for the life of the vehicle would be nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, I agree! As with all vehicles its good to see how they hold up in 5+ years. I'm sure they will find holes that's why I would never pay for something like this, however this was added on for free "we pay for it" from the dealer. my concern is for the constants start and stops, hopefully one day they come out with an approved way to disable that feature that doesn't void the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
yes, I agree! As with all vehicles its good to see how they hold up in 5+ years. I'm sure they will find holes that's why I would never pay for something like this, however this was added on for free "we pay for it" from the dealer. my concern is for the constants start and stops, hopefully one day they come out with an approved way to disable that feature that doesn't void the warranty.
I've read in an Equinox forum on Facebook that you can disable the auto stop/start by driving with the transmission in Manual Mode and selecting the highest gear. That would be either having it set to M6 or M9 depending on which transmission your vehicle uses.

According to the Facebook poster, "manual is just a gear lockout, M(x) being the highest gear it will stay in. If x is the same number as the highest gear you have it is able to use all the gears and therefore will work the same as it would in D but without auto stop start. If you have the six speed auto and leave it in M6 it will still use all 5 of the other gears as normal and there is no harm in driving it this way."

You may want to verify this with your dealer's service department but the whole procedure is described in the Equinox Owners Manual in the Driving and Operating section. Should be pretty much the same place in the Terrain manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question for the 18 owners

We bought a equinox 18 premier, and are having issues with the SXM radio. It cuts out a lot we have other cars and they don't do this, They first tried to say it was signal strength the dealership tested the other premiers on the lot and they have the same issue. is anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read in an Equinox forum on Facebook that you can disable the auto stop/start by driving with the transmission in Manual Mode and selecting the highest gear. That would be either having it set to M6 or M9 depending on which transmission your vehicle uses.

According to the Facebook poster, "manual is just a gear lockout, M(x) being the highest gear it will stay in. If x is the same number as the highest gear you have it is able to use all the gears and therefore will work the same as it would in D but without auto stop start. If you have the six speed auto and leave it in M6 it will still use all 5 of the other gears as normal and there is no harm in driving it this way."

You may want to verify this with your dealer's service department but the whole procedure is described in the Equinox Owners Manual in the Driving and Operating section. Should be pretty much the same place in the Terrain manual.
The manual does state that the auto stop may be deactivated if the vehicle is in any gear other than D(drive). thanks for the info!

·
Registered
407 Posts
We bought a equinox 18 premier, and are having issues with the SXM radio. It cuts out a lot we have other cars and they don't do this, They first tried to say it was signal strength the dealership tested the other premiers on the lot and they have the same issue. is anyone else having this issue?
I find that it cuts out in certain areas, but for the most part it worked pretty well. I don't plan on signing up after my trial ends tomorrow so for me it wasnt a concern but I can see how it would be frustrating if you are going to pay for the service.

The manual does state that the auto stop may be deactivated if the vehicle is in any gear other than D(drive). thanks for the info!
At first I really disliked the auto stop/start. But now after three months in the vehicle I really don't even notice it anymore. I do wonder how much wear and tear it will add to the engine. I was always told through the years that starting the engine is the hardest on it.

I'm also curious how often it will kick off/on once winter is really here. We had such a warm summer with temps up towards 30C the engine wouldn't stop because the A/C was maxxed, but once it cooled in September it happened more and more. I know there is a low temp limit to, I'd have to read that part of the manual again...but when it is -25C here there engine better not be turning off lol

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
We live on the west coast in a well treed area with many hills and mountains. We owned a 2010 VW Golf with SIRIUS satellite radio and never had the signal cut out.

We traded the VW for a 2014 Equinox which had a SIRIUS/XM radio and it would cut out all the time. We traded the 14 for a 16 and the same thing happens with it.

I phoned Sirius/XM back in 2014 complaining about the cutting out and it turns out that although Sirius and XM are now the same company they were still using their own original satellites which were in different positions in the sky. At least in our area, the Sirius satellite was in a better place which provided a signal in places where the XM satellite would drop the signal out. The guy I was talking to said "don't worry we will have our new satellite in place very shortly and you'll really notice the improvement". Yea, right, 3 years later and I still get drop outs in the same places I've gotten them since April 2014.:sad:

In any event, depending on your location I think you may be stuck with drop outs as long as GM continues to use radios that rely on a signal from the XM satellites.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey terrain18,

What minimum level octane gas you need to put in for that 2.0L turbo engine?
we are still on the tank we got from the dealer and they told me they put in premium. I'm pretty sure the highest around me is 91, but if I find a gas station with 93 ill use that. live in a town outside of Seattle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Using Regular 87 octane in COLD temps here, +10 to -25F, no engine issues. Tank averages mixed driving with many warmups, 22-26 US MPG
And lots of power, very happy so far. About 1500 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
im having problems with Nav and radio and phone cutting out. going into dealership this week again. the first time they replaced the sd card holder and cable.will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 18 Terrain Diesel. I purchased this car in December. The Stop/Start only works if the temperature is about about 4C (38F). In order to keep the car warm, the engine does not shut off in the winter. Now with the diesel, the stop/start is a nice feature, as when stopped at a light, when the engines turns off, you don't get the diesel vibration through the brake petal. I can see the issue in stop and go traffic, so when summer comes and I am in start and go traffic, I will switch the transmission to manual 5 or 6. (Diesel has a 6 speed transmission)

·
Registered
665 Posts
As people have been discussing else where on this forum the start/stop starter is designed differently (how carefully they have considered the cases of near stopping and quickly restarting etc) ... so i suspect its failure, due to 10 times more starting than a normal starter, is low.
I know people with start/stop cars which have been having these for more than 5 years and no issue at all so far.

Some people don't like them but they are not falling apart

That said i suspect higher risk of failures are the turbo charged engines, and diesel def injectors etc...which are newer on these cars.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think as far as for the turbocharger issue I think we can first see if the ATS CTS and Malibu if there has been issues as the 2.0T has been here for a while. Most of the bugs on the earlier ATS and CTS models for the 2.0T should have been fixed. I’m not sure for the Hyundai products with their 2.0T but I’m pretty sure it’s reliable. The one I would worry the most is the 2.0T for the Chrysler products as its hasn’t been out for a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts