GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Terrain daughters car and I guess I'm elected to be the mechanic :sad: Car been running good, now the exh. manifold has cracked and we decide to get this taking care of this weekend. She called nme yesterday and said the car has shut off on her and coulsd not get it in to Park , allso car would not start nothing dead no dash instrument symbols nothing .Battery is yr old and tested good,looking at neg cable I found a splice in it and they used a 4 ga. wire that looks like an AMP/speker wire about a 4" piece was used. My ? is there is a plastic ring that surrounds the cable itself on this ring there is a plug that attaches a couple of wires what the **** is this .I was going to get a new cable and fix this but this is the oddest looking cable I have seen ,especially on the neg. side.And of course they dont have anything like this at the box auto store.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I just recently changed my neg battery cable when I did the battery.
The plastic ring is the current sensor that is factory installed and necessary for the alternator.
A new current sensor comes installed on the new neg cable.

Mine is a V-6 but the 4 cyl is very similar.
The neg cable splits 4 ways, a large diameter cable to the engine, a smaller one to the unibody frame rail, the current sensor, and a seprate ground for the BCM.

I got my cable from gmpartsdirect.com
The dealer has them, it is a bit involved, but all 4 connections are needed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
IDK, sounds weird for sure. Good Luck, hopefully someone will jump in here for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:surprise:WOW never seems to amaze me on the stuff they come up with. Thank you for the reply I was kinda thinking in that way but thought surely not.After cleaning the connections and finding this I started it up and everything seemed good to go ,except I have to tackle the exh. manifold tomarrow

·
Registered
633 Posts
Current sensor is also used for shutting down the system if you leave a door open or lights on for more than 10 min. to save battery for starting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Car started acting up again ,no start nothing cleaned both cables and it fired right up several times .went in to order new neg. cable as this one is scraped together from previous owner. after ordering cable and chatting a bit with the daughter I went to grab my tools and head home 50 miles 1 way. I noticed the dome light on ,OK so after trying everything under the sun dome light still on, only way I got it off was turn the switch off up by the sunroof. Once turned on to the door selection it stays on all the time and the same for manual on,would this be controlled by the BCM . maybe the switch went kapow . Maybe I need to get the cable and go from there ,any insight as to WTF is going on here are the BCM OR ECM prone to giving this kind of troubles ?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Change the neg cable first.
As for the rest we may have to take it in (baby) steps.
Pull the dome light bulb if you need to.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I noticed the dome light on ,OK so after trying everything under the sun dome light still on, only way I got it off was turn the switch off up by the sunroof. Once turned on to the door selection it stays on all the time and the same for manual on,would this be controlled by the BCM . maybe the switch went kapow . Maybe I need to get the cable and go from there ,any insight as to WTF is going on here are the BCM OR ECM prone to giving this kind of troubles ?
I checked the wiring diagram for my 2014 equinox.

From your post above it sounds like your dome light switch is a two position switch.
The 2014 has a three position switch, on all the time, off all the time, and on only with door open.
The two wires from the overhead console switch go directly to the BCM, then to two BCM fuses.
I also have three dome lights, overhead console, middle of vehicle, and near the tailgate.

I think yours is different, if you need more detail let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Her dome light is the same 3 posistions 1)door on , 2)manual on or 3)turn off all of them and I belive there were 3 lights above mirror between front and rear seat then 1 in back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New cable plus a new battery and everything is good at this point ,everything working as it should lets hope it stays that way Thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts