GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2010 Equinox and I need to replace my existing tires, which are the Michelins. I have 72,000 miles on them (yes, I drive alot!). Anyway, before I spend about $900 on new tires, I was wondering what other Equinox owners are replacing their tires with. I got a quote for new Michelins ($968) and also goodyear Assurance Touring ($801) and thought I would ask for some advice before I purchase. Unfortunately I drive far everyday (all highway) and failed to rotate my tires (my fauly obviously) so these are cupped and loud. I learned my lesson even though I have 72K in miles on them. any recommendations are much appreciated. I ahve an Equinox LT FWD.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
jstiene said:
Hello

I have a 2010 Equinox and I need to replace my existing tires, which are the Michelins. I have 72,000 miles on them (yes, I drive alot!). Anyway, before I spend about $900 on new tires, I was wondering what other Equinox owners are replacing their tires with. I got a quote for new Michelins ($968) and also goodyear Assurance Touring ($801) and thought I would ask for some advice before I purchase. Unfortunately I drive far everyday (all highway) and failed to rotate my tires (my fauly obviously) so these are cupped and loud. I learned my lesson even though I have 72K in miles on them. any recommendations are much appreciated. I ahve an Equinox LT FWD.

Thanks
Joe
If I got 72K out of a set of tires, then I wouldn't hesitate to get the same kind again. As far as the cupping - I doubt if that was caused by not rotating. Could be either a bad strut, bad alignment, or out of balance tire. Make sure you find out the cause before you put on a new set and trash them. IMHO

Check TireRack for great prices and tire reviews.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIT333,

thanks for the feedback. I thougt 72K was pretty good. I actually still have alot of thread on the back tires which are the cupped tires. I took the car in for service the first time and they said they replaced a bad hub, and the noise started up 1-2 weeks later and they were persistent that the tires were cupped, and a result from not rotating. I guess I will have a full inspection and get an alignment also when I buy the tires...when this Equinox is 4 years old, I will have over 200K miles on it..hopefully it will make it...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I probably won't be replacing the stock Michelins for another year or so, but I've already started shopping and these sound pretty good to me http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred+Touring&partnum=265HR7ACTT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Equinox&autoModClar=LS

For some reason tire rack doesn't acknowledge that LT's (and even some LTZ's) come with the 17" wheels so you'll have to put in the LS for that size..

·
Registered
977 Posts
My local gargae likes the Cooper Cs4's. He is a little expensive but the tire shop (Mavis) near me sells them for $150 for the LS size tires 225/65R17 . Not sure what size is on yours. Rated 780 A A. I've used Dunlop Signatures. They are cheaper but have a lower tread life and are A B rated

·
Registered
300 Posts
RNOX said:
My local garage likes the Cooper Cs4's. He is a little expensive but the tire shop (Mavis) near me sells them for $150 for the LS size tires 225/65R17 . Not sure what size is on yours. Rated 780 A A. I've used Dunlop Signatures. They are cheaper but have a lower tread life and are A B rated
I put the Cooper CS4's on my wife's Vibe and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So did you get some new tires?? I've been running Dunlop Signature CS's on my 2005 and I love them. The 2011 still had the stock Michelins on. Most places offer free tire rotations for the life of the tire when you buy four new ones, does the place your getting tires offer that?

·
Registered
161 Posts
"Michelins[/color]"

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have about 71k miles on my '10, and the tires have been rotated every 7500 along with oil changes. They are all wearing evenly, and still a lot of tread left. I'm thinking I can probably make it to 85k with no problems, probably more. I'm very happy with the wearing performance and the sound of these tires, and I'mm most likely buy the same thing when it's time to replace.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
jpaw24 said:
I have about 71k miles on my '10, and the tires have been rotated every 7500 along with oil changes. They are all wearing evenly, and still a lot of tread left. I'm thinking I can probably make it to 85k with no problems, probably more. I'm very happy with the wearing performance and the sound of these tires, and I'mm most likely buy the same thing when it's time to replace.
What kind, and size.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
jpaw24 said:
235/55R18 Michelin Latitude Tour
Tire Rack carries those, and they tend to have unbeatable prices.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
Tire Rack carries those, and they tend to have unbeatable prices.
RIT333, I've been running the round ones this year compared to the square ones from last.
And boy!! what a difference!
Much smoother ride indeed... he he :)

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
POLRCUB said:
RIT333, I've been running the round ones this year compared to the square ones from last.
And boy!! what a difference!
Much smoother ride indeed... he he :)
I guess your gas mileage improved quite a bit also. But, stopping distance tends to decrease with the round ones.

But, back to our regularly scheduled program - GM really made a good move to include the Michelins as OEM tires. They are quiet, last long, and good traction.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
GM really made a good move to include the Michelins as OEM tires.
I did not know that - not so up here in the Great White North - Hankook Optimos are the OEM of choice,,,

·
Registered
112 Posts
It will be a while until I need tires. But was wondering if anyone has put Yokohamas on their Nox? My first set on my Pathfinder was Michelin. Only lasted like 40,000. And I do not abuse my tires in the least. I rotate them regularly and balance and alignment were all a-ok. Got a set of Yokohamas to replace them. Loved them and they lasted until I sold it with 114000 and a lot of tread left.

Just wondering. Some people say they ride a bit rough. I honestly didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
prissyrabbit said:
It will be a while until I need tires. But was wondering if anyone has put Yokohamas on their Nox? My first set on my Pathfinder was Michelin. Only lasted like 40,000. And I do not abuse my tires in the least. I rotate them regularly and balance and alignment were all a-ok. Got a set of Yokohamas to replace them. Loved them and they lasted until I sold it with 114000 and a lot of tread left.

Just wondering. Some people say they ride a bit rough. I honestly didn't notice any difference.
You'll probably get 70K+ miles out of your tires. But then, they'll probably be made from a new "space-age" polymer that isn't even invented yet. You're worrying about it way too early !

·
Registered
112 Posts
RIT333 said:
You'll probably get 70K+ miles out of your tires. But then, they'll probably be made from a new "space-age" polymer that isn't even invented yet. You're worrying about it way too early !
Not worried. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with yokohamas. That's all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts