GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked at the dealership about a trailer hitch, they said I need the car reprogrammed after the hitch install.
The harness can no longer be linked to the rear lights, but it goes straight into the fuse box. They say if you hook it up directly to the rear lights, you will start blowing fuses and other components.
Of course, they will reprogram it, but this will cost extra. So I am looking at $283 for the hitch (not even the 2"), $85 for the harness, about 1 hour labor (at over $100/hour rate), plus the reprogramming, plus the 13% tax on everything.
So this will be probably around $550-$600 for a **** hitch??

·
Registered
232 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
I asked at the dealership about a trailer hitch, they said I need the car reprogrammed after the hitch install.
The harness can no longer be linked to the rear lights, but it goes straight into the fuse box. They say if you hook it up directly to the rear lights, you will start blowing fuses and other components.
Of course, they will reprogram it, but this will cost extra. So I am looking at $283 for the hitch (not even the 2"), $85 for the harness, about 1 hour labor (at over $100/hour rate), plus the reprogramming, plus the 13% tax on everything.
2012 should have the programming baked into the BCM from the factory, in late 2010 they moved to make all BCM cals trailer capable.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
canadian_bacon,,, if you would like a brand new OEM hitch from Canada, just send me a personal message.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
mdub said:
Importing OEM GM parts from the US to Canada can be a real chore most times, some stores such as GMPartsDirect etc do not ship to Canada.
For other stores, that will only ship via UPS/Fed-ex etc. Have minimum brokerage fees of $20 and the fee goes up directly to the value of the item. Plus the minimum 5% GST tax and shipping costs.

So us Canadians really get the short end of the stick and are exposed to the exorbitant parts mark up for Genuine OEM products.

·
Registered
112 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
OK, so I am no expert on this subject. But I just installed a Class III Curt hitch and wire harness on my 2012 Equinox LTZ this past weekend. Got the hitch for $124.XX shipped to my door and no tax. Got the Curt wire harness for like $13.XX delivered to my door and no tax.

So it cost me about $137.00 and about 30 minutes of my time. Granted, I still have to buy the ball and all insert, which will run me around $24.00. So overall, it will end up costing me like $161.00 and 30-45 minutes of my time. So $550-$600 sounds waaaaay wrong!

Not sure why they are saying you can't just connect with the "T" connector that is with the harness and use the tail light connection. I know MANY people who have done this, and I have too. Reprogram? What do they reprogram? Maybe you need to go somewhere else and see if they tell you the same thing. Something sounds really strange to me.

Keep in mind - I am a female who has never before installed a hitch and I did it in 30 minutes (once I got the vehicle jacked up on the jack stands). Seriously, it was very straight forward. And I have yet to blow any fuses.

I have many pics of the mods that I have done on my car. But I have not gotten any pictures of the hitch. It looks exactly like the ones that were on the lot at the dealer that had the towing package pre-installed.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A quality auto repair shop or body shop can install a trailer hitch.
Anything ordered through a dealer is likely to cost more. And dealers charge the highest labor rates.

Check around. A 4X4 store/shop would be the first place I'd check with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
GTPprix said:
2012 should have the programming baked into the BCM from the factory, in late 2010 they moved to make all BCM cals trailer capable.
What programming is different?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The ratio is changed slightly. Yes reprograming is needed. My dealer told me same thing. If i remember the price was around 350 usd

·
Registered
361 Posts
i have a 2010 and i installed a curt with their harness. not 1 issue. heck my 2 year old even helped and i didnt require jack stands. just used a jack in the center as a leverage point and lifted it into place.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't understand the need to reprogramming. The computer should adjust to a heavier load on it's own.

·
Registered
162 Posts
pacman said:
The ratio is changed slightly. Yes reprograming is needed. My dealer told me same thing. If i remember the price was around 350 usd
That makes no sense. Why would gear ratios be changed permanently, when most of the time you are not towing?

·
Registered
177 Posts
No re-programming is needed. It used to be required on vehicles made before mid-11/09 that had trailer hitches added, but it involved powering the trailer light harness, not altering the transmission. Trailer lights would not work without programming the BCM, which controls the vehicle lighting. As GTPprix suggests, this is no longer required. I can’t seem to find it, but if you can get a copy of bulletin PIT4902B, it should explain everything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, sounds good. now that I can ask for that bulletin (PIT4902B), i have some hard proof.
i will be getting my hitch in the states anyway, the dealers in Canada seem to greedy.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
i will be getting my hitch in the states anyway, the dealers in Canada seem to greedy.
Make sure you post a pic of your new Sierra when you get it! ;)[/color]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts