GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after researching and looking around I think i'm going to purchase a 2011 Terrain SLE-2. Does anyone live in the Northeast Area and has a Terrain, if so what kind and are you happy with the driving especially during the winter. I'm trying to keep within a budget and I'm unsure if I want to go with the 4cyl or 6cyl and FWD or AWD... I was looking at the 4cyl AWD and the 6cyl FWD, both approx the same price. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, and yes I did drive both the 4cyl and 6. THANKS

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
You'll find a bit debate in this forum about 4 vs 6 cyl, and also FWD vs AWD, and I don't think anyone would change their decision - or at least admit to wanting to change it. I think it depends on your driving habits and how much you value speed vs economy, etc. I'm afraid you'll have to make the decision and then live with it, or do it different next time.

Personally, I live in the Northeast and drive a 4 cyl. with FWD and Snow Tires, and I have NO regrets. However, even if I drove an AWD, I would have still put on Snow Tires - they are a world of difference from the OEM Michelin Lattitudes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand thats its truly my decision just wanted to see how others have experienced the Terrain in bad weather conditions. Like I said I test drove both and didn't find a major difference, the 4 cyl was definitely louder and you actually heard and felt the gears shift.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
One of the main differences, as both I4 and V6 owners will agree for the most part, is that if you dont need the hauling of the V6, the I4 is the way to go. Also, dont forget about gas mileage. We average 24 MPGs with our Terrain in city driving and my mother in law, who has a V6, averages right around 16 MPGs in city driving.

As for AWD vs FWD, the AWD system of the Terrain/Nox is more of a demand type of system. If it detects slip, itll send power to the rear wheels. Im not positive but the highest amount of power itll send is 20%. Not much but it MIGHT help if you drive on the back roads during winter it couldnt hurt.

Another one of the big differences is the power steering. I really enjoy the electric power steering of the I4 as it makes the vehicle feel really like and happy. The V6, especially in parking lots, feels really heavy to me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The AWD send a lot more power to the rear wheels than 20%.

This is an intelligent AWD so it doesnt need a wheel slip to transfer power.

If you push it to the floor it will never spin. It will transfer the power it need to the rear wheels.

Under normal driving condition the power is delivered 90 front% and 10% rear.

Under snow or ice condition it will deliver up to 60% front and 40% rear.

bballr4567 said:
One of the main differences, as both I4 and V6 owners will agree for the most part, is that if you dont need the hauling of the V6, the I4 is the way to go. Also, dont forget about gas mileage. We average 24 MPGs with our Terrain in city driving and my mother in law, who has a V6, averages right around 16 MPGs in city driving.

As for AWD vs FWD, the AWD system of the Terrain/Nox is more of a demand type of system. If it detects slip, itll send power to the rear wheels. Im not positive but the highest amount of power itll send is 20%. Not much but it MIGHT help if you drive on the back roads during winter it couldnt hurt.

Another one of the big differences is the power steering. I really enjoy the electric power steering of the I4 as it makes the vehicle feel really like and happy. The V6, especially in parking lots, feels really heavy to me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks. Did not know it could send 60/40.

You also said that it doesnt need slip to send more to the rear BUT under normal its 90/10. Then you said under snow and ice itll send 60/40. How does it know to send more to the rear? ;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have a FWD 4cyl and got some snow and ice driving experience the first week I had it and was very impressed at the way it handled sloppy roads. First a disclaimer...I live in Texas, but in north Texas we do have some winter, yet nobody has snow tires and roads aren't cleared since there is no equipment for it. Our winters don't last as long down here...but when we do get it driving can be more hairy than in the northern states. I'll just say this: If I moved to Minnesota or somewhere like that, I would have no problem with keeping my 2WD 4cyl Nox and simply putting snow tires on in the winter.....but if I lived in a snowy state BEFORE buying I might consider AWD with either engine. I think the combination of FWD, traction control, stabilitrac and snow tires should be good enough for 95% of any winter condition you can throw at it. These things weren't made for offroading however..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually it doesn’t matter if that is 4cly or 6cyl nor AWD or FWD because as of now all new models are design to have ABS but I’m not sure if the 4cyl FWD have that feature too. If the 4cyl FWD have ABS feature then you don’t need to get 6cyl unless you need to tow something.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think it have to go with resistance, if it feel that he doesnt have the traction it supposed it have it will transfer power. Maybe a very little slip will provide the info to transfer power but not a real spin-out.

bballr4567 said:
Thanks. Did not know it could send 60/40.

You also said that it doesnt need slip to send more to the rear BUT under normal its 90/10. Then you said under snow and ice itll send 60/40. How does it know to send more to the rear? ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ALL Terrains/Noxs have ABS. I cant think of a car that doesnt have it standard anymore.

I wasnt talking about a burn out but simply any slip detected in the front wheels will activate the differential to send more power to the rear.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well we seems to be talking about the same thing so... :)

bballr4567 said:
ALL Terrains/Noxs have ABS. I cant think of a car that doesnt have it standard anymore.

I wasnt talking about a burn out but simply any slip detected in the front wheels will activate the differential to send more power to the rear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
bballr4567 said:

All Toyota 2010, ABS is standard both in car, SUV & Truck...I'm not sure other brand.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
TerrainSLT2 said:
All Toyota 2010, ABS is standard both in car, SUV & Truck...I'm not sure other brand.
I don't know about every GM car/truck...but every Nox/Terrain/SRX has ABS/traction control/Stabilitrac standard no matter the trim level.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There is no ABS on hyundai accent and the elantra L.

Some Kia too doesnt have abs...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts