GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a dealer the other day and sadly they know next to nothing about the technolgy in the 2012 terrain.
When I explained that I wanted the 2012 as opposed to the "buy now at 0% financing" pitch they keep hitting me with and I told them I wanted the 2012 for the new technology, I had to tell THEM about the lane departure warning and collision prevention and the intellilink (which was completely confused with "MyLink") they had incredulous looks on their faces and even offered me a job at one point.

The problem is that I still do not know what comes with the new 2012 Terrain, they confused the heck out of me with "color screen" talk and OnStar Navigation. it seems like "Intellilink" isn't out yet. I want that, I am a geek through and through and it's what i do for a living. I want the color touchscreen, hard drive to store songs, USB port to augment if needed, Navigation (not through OnStar) and Pandora streaming that I have seen in "MyLink" and "Intellilink" posts around the net. Plus the system is supposed to be upgradable for new apps later down the road.

Can someone tell me when I can get this and what package to ask for?

is it an upgrade via software later in the year for something that the 2012 already has? Is is a new system for late 2011 (2012 Terrain) builds? Is it completely different system?
I want to buy a 2012 Terrain right now and I can buy a nicely loaded 2012 that has everything I want aside from the media confusion listed above.

I am just so confused.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Chevrolet doesn't have it (although it is similar to Chevys MyLink) and the only message GM has sent out about this system is this:

April 19, 2011

To Buick & GMC Dealers:

Today, as part of the New York Auto Show press activities, Buick and GMC will announce the introduction of IntelliLink, a simple-to-use, customizable infotainment system with expanded wireless capability. Buick IntelliLink is coming to the 2012 Verano, Regal and LaCrosse later this year. GMC IntelliLink is coming to the 2012 Terrain later this year.

IntelliLink uses Bluetooth or USB to connect the driver’s smartphone to the vehicle's new seven- or eight-inch, high-resolution, full-color touch screen display radio. IntelliLink expands on the current Bluetooth and USB capabilities to allow smartphone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls, and streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®. Most importantly, IntelliLink enables seamless integration of stowed portable devices with the vehicle’s infotainment system, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. The IntelliLink news goes live at 12:45 p.m. Visit media.gmc.com and media.buick.com to learn more about the systems.

*A google search will give you more information than what GM has supplied to the dealers. You can try the two web sites mentioned to see what else they have released. I searched for the technical information and everything that currently pulls up for the 2012, looks just like my 2011 Navigation Manual. Sorry that this doesn't really help much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChevyMgr said:
IntelliLink uses Bluetooth or USB to connect the driver’s smartphone to the vehicle's new seven- or eight-inch, high-resolution, full-color touch screen display radio. IntelliLink expands on the current Bluetooth and USB capabilities to allow smartphone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls, and streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®. Most importantly, IntelliLink enables seamless integration of stowed portable devices with the vehicle’s infotainment system, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. The IntelliLink news goes live at 12:45 p.m. Visit media.gmc.com and media.buick.com to learn more about the systems.
still don't get whether it is a completley different system or a software upgrade in what they have now in the 2012 :shrug:

·
Registered
338 Posts
From the pictures I have seen, the hardware looks similar (doesn't mean it is) by the software looks different.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is exactly why I am confused, here is a dealer shot with one on the lot:

gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/2012-terrain-here-w-pics-104947/
sorry can't post a link here, won't allow me to

looks identical except for one icon in the screen, where the CD/dvd is on this one, yours shows the pandora app, so it must be an upgrade software based? why would they redo the car for something so identical?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My understanding is the bulk of the IntelliLink/MyLink (the reason why the OnStar mobile app is now called "RemoteLink") functions in the 2012 vehicles (such as Pandora streaming) will be available later with a software update you can get from the dealer. Probably GM has the hardware ready but not the software and didn't want to hold out until the 2013 model year to implement it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vince730 said:
My understanding is the bulk of the IntelliLink/MyLink (the reason why the OnStar mobile app is now called "RemoteLink") functions in the 2012 vehicles (such as Pandora streaming) will be available later with a software update you can get from the dealer. Probably GM has the hardware ready but not the software and didn't want to hold out until the 2013 model year to implement it.
That's my thinking as well but it sure would suck if I were wrong, lot of money to spend...

Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2012 this past weekend. I was told that the intellilink is only available on the non nav models. However that was as much as they could say they didnt know how to use it or what it did the only thing they were sure of is tat is was NOT available on models with navigation. My guess would be that they are still using the past years navigation radios that are not set up for the intellilink and since they changed the non nav radio in 2012 they incorporated it through there. I bought a non nav model and I am taking it to a local company to have them take it appart and see if they can give me an auxilary video input to the screen so I can use a standalone nav and just run the video through the stock screen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am also looking for a new 2012 EQ, due to an accident totaling my 2010 EQ. If the new Intellilink is only on new Terrains, then I might have to look at them instead.
Below is information dated Feb. about the new radios. GM could not have made all these "links" more confusing.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/02/2012-chevrolet-volt-equinox-to-debut-chevrolet-mylink/

My thoughts are that GM is going for the integrated music features, but the full integration of a smart phone's contact list and other features would be better.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I saw that there has been a question as to whether Intellilink will be available with Nav radios. I have a printout from my dealer that indicated that it will be on Nav units;
I am assuming that means both the entry level and full version Nav.

I don't have any information on availability, but at this point it does have an order code; my sales rep says that he will have it for me next week. The best guestimate of release is in this video taken during the 2011 NY Auto Show which people probably seen. If you listen at 4:50 in the video, Tony Kraatz of GMC, the person giving the demo, indicates that the Terrain, LaCrosse, and Regal will get it in the Fall and then the Verano in November. This would indicate a October or November release.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer contacted me tonight notifying me know that the 2012 Terrain radios will be upgraded to intellilink within the next 30 days by SD or USB.

·
Registered
118 Posts
jordan said:
My dealer contacted me tonight notifying me know that the 2012 Terrain radios will be upgraded to intellilink within the next 30 days by SD or USB.
I hope this is good news for Nox owners as well. Looking forward to the enhancements the updated system brings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have one of the first 2012 SLT2's with Nav.....it is geeky geek material!!!.....love it.....iPhone syncs with bluetooth and operates fabulously....if you hook it up to the USB the car treats it as an iPod to play your music or Pandora app on the phone....the only added functionality I see coming is a built in Pandora app.....I have the color touchscreen but once you know your way around the hard buttons are a little more convenient than the touchscreen.....there is usually more than one way to navigate or choose something.....and with the Onstar app on my phone I can just say a location, see it on the phone map, and then send it to the in-dash nav system to be saved as a favorite destination!...also the app remotely reads tire pressure, gas, other car data, starts car, locks....on & on!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to get hold of the material that the dealer used to find out
that Intellilink is coming out soon. I would by one now if I had some hard information
indicating that Intellilink was definitely a radio upgrade.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Spiritman said:
I have one of the first 2012 SLT2's with Nav.....it is geeky geek material!!!.....love it.....iPhone syncs with bluetooth and operates fabulously....if you hook it up to the USB the car treats it as an iPod to play your music or Pandora app on the phone....the only added functionality I see coming is a built in Pandora app.....I have the color touchscreen but once you know your way around the hard buttons are a little more convenient than the touchscreen.....there is usually more than one way to navigate or choose something.....and with the Onstar app on my phone I can just say a location, see it on the phone map, and then send it to the in-dash nav system to be saved as a favorite destination!...also the app remotely reads tire pressure, gas, other car data, starts car, locks....on & on!!
So, Spiritman, what part of the NAV system uses an SD card? Can you put music or podcasts on an SD card and use it in the radio/NAV unit, or is there a hard drive to store music and the NAV data?

·
Registered
515 Posts
The $795 Nav unit does not have a hard drive. The SD card is used to hold the map data,
similar to a TomTom. You can use a card with JPGs on it and there is a Photoviewer
program in the unit to display them on the screen; so you can take pictures and do a
preview on the NAV unit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Iliketerrain said:
The $795 Nav unit does not have a hard drive. The SD card is used to hold the map data,
similar to a TomTom. You can use a card with JPGs on it and there is a Photoviewer
program in the unit to display them on the screen; so you can take pictures and do a
preview on the NAV unit.
How fast is the nav system when searching poi's. Does it seem quick or laggy? We need video.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Spiritman said:
Thank you for the post and option information. I am glad to hear that you are loving your new vehicle. If you have further questions or concern please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@tricia

With regard to the 2012 Equinox, it seems that there may not be a upgrade path to the MyLink functionality with the early 2012 model year vehicles. After talking with a dealer it seems that MyLink will require a different radio altogether, albeit the radios look exactly the same. This is really an issue because I'm sure that many 2012 Equinox owners believed that they were getting MyLink functionality if they had the 7" color touch screen radio. It seems that may not be the case. Any Equinox owners who think they have MyLink actually do not currently. To check just unplug your phone and see if you can stream music via bluetooth (A2DP bluetooth streaming protocol). It will not work. The Pandora and Skitcher apps are also not there. We need clarification from GM on this issue and fast!!!!!All PR materials and even current website pages say that 2012 equinox models come with MyLink functionality, without any exceptions or qualifiers, but they actually do not.

We need to be notified if there is an upgrade path via the newly created MyLink portal or if a new radio is required altogether. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts