GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer demonstrated the weather forecast screen on our NAV system when we picked up the Terrain. However, since then I've only been able to view the weather forecast once. Besides our our local area, I tried a few other major cities and it always shows no data available. The screen before that shows data is being downloaded and make take several minutes. I waited at about 5 minutes and gave up.

Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Interesting... Please let me know how to do this as i was not aware that you could.... Thank you

Cheers,

ICEBEAR

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Press the info button.

·
Registered
321 Posts
DavidPJ said:
The dealer demonstrated the weather forecast screen on our NAV system when we picked up the Terrain. However, since then I've only been able to view the weather forecast once. Besides our our local area, I tried a few other major cities and it always shows no data available. The screen before that shows data is being downloaded and make take several minutes. I waited at about 5 minutes and gave up.

Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks.
Call XM and speak to customer service. There is an additional charge for XM Weather and Traffic, and is not included in our trial.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wbassnp007 said:
Call XM and speak to customer service. There is an additional charge for XM Weather and Traffic, and is not included in our trial.
Hmm, that's interesting. Funny that it worked the day we picked up the Terrain and maybe the next today too. I hate talking to XM and their sales pressure tactics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same thing on my end. It worked for about a week after purchase and then I was no longer able to get the weather info to display.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called XM today and they confirmed that my radio ID was not enabled for the weather and traffic trial. So they enabled it for a free 6 month trial beginning today. I didn't bother asking why the weather forecast worked when I first picked up the car. XM will tell you to park the car in an open area with the radio on and tuned to channel 0, and then wait 5 minutes. I waited about 10 and my weather forecast returned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer must have taken care of this for me because weather/traffic worked for the entire 3 month trial period in mine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's right 3 month trial period. After my 3 months trial period, I don't subscribe to XM no more. Lol!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DavidPJ said:
I called XM today and they confirmed that my radio ID was not enabled for the weather and traffic trial. So they enabled it for a free 6 month trial beginning today. I didn't bother asking why the weather forecast worked when I first picked up the car. XM will tell you to park the car in an open area with the radio on and tuned to channel 0, and then wait 5 minutes. I waited about 10 and my weather forecast returned.
Today I checked the weather screen and again it was back to no data available. So another call to XM and another reactivation. And again having to listen to the sales pitch with multiple packages. I was trying to be courteous but finally had to cut her off and tell I her I wasn't buying anything. This time the rep told me to display the weather screen while the reactivation took place, not channel 0. I won't be renewing XM but I would like to have my trial evaluation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It worked after the second activation, but the next day it didn't work again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same message also, but after about five minutes the weather information finally appears. I just thought this was normal as it says "downloading information".

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wonder if the signal for the weather is transmitted through a different network...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called XM again and they sent another activation signal. I guess the third time's a charm because it's been working for 2 days. I did notice it takes 5-10 minutes to begin providing information after the car's been off and in the garage overnight.

I searched the Internet and found lots of post with people having problems getting the weather and/or traffic alerts to work and stay working. The GPS type varied.

Meanwhile, rather than going through the pain of talking to XM, I found you can refresh the signal yourself by going to http://www.xmradio.com/refresh/.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem, with XM the weather package is an extra option on top of the XM service, like maybe 11$ a month extra.

You get 3 free months, and i believe 10 Free days of Weather/Traffic. I posted this same question back in January after we bought ours. Once in a blue moon XM will just throw a trial out there, so we often check XM, 2 times since we owned the vehicle, XM gives out approx a week trial for free. The only way we found out about it the first time was, we were using the Nav system, and all the sudden we got a severe weather alert, and we looked at each other like WTF just happened. Then tried an Xm station, and voila...a week later it was gone. The wife called XM, they said it was a free week trial to everyone to get them to sign on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also believe you must enable this function in options. Mine worked upon picking up the vehicle but there is an option to configure your area. What is interesting since I live NW of Chicago is that FOUR times the weather alert has kicked in notifying me of severe weather. Of course I already knew that since it was black as night and lashing rain at the time! ;D but still nice to believe that if a tornado or something was approaching one would know it before upon it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts