GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a proud owner of a GMC Terrain SLE. Nevertheless, im not very satisfied with the actual radio in it. I want to switch for the ac delco nav system with 40 gig hdd (Part number:20888798). (Usually optional in higher version of the Terrain)

I asked to my dealership if it is possible, (theyre not sure), but they do not want to install the nav anyway, in any case, whatsoever...(?!!?).
Accordingly to the Terrain blueprint, all the critical parts like the TPM module are exactly the same for both radio.

I wonder if someone have some useful informations about upgrading to the nav system ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
It may be easier to sell vehicle and get one equipped how you prefer. Would be very costly to upgrade. If you are in Canada your dealer would make a booking with Maas to do the upgrade. In the USA I dont know. I tried to find out how to upgrade an HHR to bluetooth and ran against a brick wall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The upgrade will cost around 960 $ ca. (Including nav, front plate and top cover dash) The main master module is the same for both units. It looks pretty easy to install. Too much, maybe.

Last year i bought a Jeep Compass 2009, and i added later an Infotainment 40 gig without any help, flawlessly.

Im surely not the only one who want a simple radio upgrade, but i didnt find any informations on this.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I doubt if the hard drive is located in the actual head unit... is it??

Seems to me it would be installed in the box that houses the CD drive. Does anyone have the schematics for the system?

Would the body (or other) computer need to be flashed? If you already have the rear view cam, would the rear view be displayed in both?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw and analyzed the Terrain nav schematics with the clerk at my gmc dealer last week. The main unit seemed to include hdd + nav and gps support devices. Only the TPM and the DVD reader is apart. As i said, the TPM is the same for both regular and nav radio. The TPM , in fact, is mastering and linking the radio with the main Terrain computer. If the TPM is able to master both regular and nav+gps system, why the installation should be so complicated ???

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd vote for the sell and buy new option too. The cost alone from the install labor/parts will be tremendous.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Daemon said:
Im a proud owner of a GMC Terrain SLE. Nevertheless, im not very satisfied with the actual radio in it. I want to switch for the ac delco nav system with 40 gig hdd (Part number:20888798). (Usually optional in higher version of the Terrain)

I asked to my dealership if it is possible, (theyre not sure), but they do not want to install the nav anyway, in any case, whatsoever...(?!!?).
Accordingly to the Terrain blueprint, all the critical parts like the TPM module are exactly the same for both radio.

I wonder if someone have some useful informations about upgrading to the nav system ?
What is wrong with the radio? AC Delco doesn't make nav systems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Daemon how did you get the part# ?

I am picking up my terrain LT1 w/o nav and am very interested in adding the factory nav?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dsulli37 said:
What is wrong with the radio? AC Delco doesn't make nav systems.
Check your sources, The nav is made and supplied by Ac Delco, part number 20888798

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
enyce9 said:
Daemon how did you get the part# ?

I am picking up my terrain LT1 w/o nav and am very interested in adding the factory nav?
Directly at the dealer, you should be able to get the schematics too if you want.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Narg said:
I'd vote for the sell and buy new option too. The cost alone from the install labor/parts will be tremendous.
Ya, but the amount you'd lose on the sale...I dunno?

·
Registered
28 Posts
the schematics are from the service manual?
I think we need to get a copy of a genuine gm terrain service manual and really take a look at the wiring schematics.
also... are the parts needed to do the conversion available for purchase?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Seems like the OP has done their research. The only thing left would be to give it a try. It's an $1,000 risk but it wouldn't be without reward. In fact, if it worked it would be a steal... the system from the factory is a $3,350 (cad) option!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Terrain said:
Seems like the OP has done their research. The only thing left would be to give it a try. It's an $1,000 risk but it wouldn't be without reward. In fact, if it worked it would be a steal... the system from the factory is a $3,350 (cad) option!
Exactly, when i asked for buying the parts separatly, the dealer said it will be installed only in a GM factory (not at the dealer). About the option at 3350.00 $, you will have the same if you buy the combo at 1546.76 can (part number : 20888798)

Pretty confusing... Guess its a marketing strategy forcing the buyer to go for a higher line in terrain (SLT or SLE2)

·
Registered
54 Posts
You would have to buy the faceplate, silver box navi, antenna, get a software update...install it all...totally not worth it. $5000 easy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
dsulli37 said:
You would have to buy the faceplate, silver box navi, antenna, get a software update...install it all...totally not worth it. $5000 easy.
Again with the $5,000 you keep quoting. I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

Daemon is indicating the components will cost $1,546 CAD. What in your mind will cost an additional $3,450?

Swapping in OEM nav is something that's quite common in the Lambda vehicles, albiet in the Terrain/Equinox you have to buy the entire center control panel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Terrain said:
Again with the $5,000 you keep quoting. I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

Daemon is indicating the components will cost $1,546 CAD. What in your mind will cost an additional $3,450?

Swapping in OEM nav is something that's quite common in the Lambda vehicles, albiet in the Terrain/Equinox you have to buy the entire center control panel.
Anyway, tomorrow im ordering all the parts needed for my project. nav + full deck, cables, upper dash plate. The sub total is 976.00 cad. Instead of ordering the same kit (Already assembled) for 1546 cad, i will choose the first option. The dealer confirmed the TMP is compatible at 100 % (Wich is essential) Yesterday a sad clown pushed his shopping cart directly on my beloved Terrain. 1500 $ body shop repairs will be set at the dealer on monday, nav parts will arrive probably next week.

Im sure everything will be fine, and im pretty confident that my project (positive or not) will help the NOx/Terrain community.

Last year i swapped a regular radio in my Jeep Compass 2009 for a Full 40 Gig GPS Nav unit in 20 minutes (including the horrible lockpicking system) without a single problem. Gues it will be the same here. (Considering all the informations i got and all the support i will eventually need and get, in a near future...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts