GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go to type in the destination on the nav it has an ABC style keyboard, i want to change to QWERTY style keyboard. Is it possible? Also Can I change arrow that represents the vehicle to another icon?

Please spare the "you could have gotten a Tom Tom for cheaper" comments.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think the only way to change the arrow is to hack the system. I know a guy on the g8board has changed his start up screen on the headunit but he has done a ton with the IPC and BCM regarding hacks.

ABC keyboard? My Garmin has that and I hate it. Cant believe its still being used in too many things.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No I don't think there is any way to change the keyboard format. Do you notice how as you progress from state, city, street that certain letters will grey out because there are no fields with those letters? Pretty cool.

Although, not sure why you would want to use the kb at all... voice command works extremely well.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Lower Garmin have ABC keyboard but as you go up the line they have a QWERTY keyboard, that's what i'm using.

bballr4567 said:
I think the only way to change the arrow is to hack the system. I know a guy on the g8board has changed his start up screen on the headunit but he has done a ton with the IPC and BCM regarding hacks.

ABC keyboard? My Garmin has that and I hate it. Cant believe its still being used in too many things.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My Harley (Garmin 660) unit lets you choose either way. I have changed it to QWERTY. Only used the Terrain's once to enter my sister-in-laws address. Don't remember if it was more or less convienient to enter. I don't think it would make any difference since all my DVR's and VCR's are ABC.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a Garmin in my company car and it allows you to choose. Im just shocked that you cant change it in the 'Nox. maybe they will have the option in a software update someday.

the arrow is not the end of the world, my wife is just used to her old Garmin that allowed you to change to a monster truck (worked well to represent her Mini :-\ ).

Its cool that it grays out the not available letters/numbers. thats what Garmin did too, not a new concept to me. Its just a paint to search and pluck because of the strange keyboard. I spent years learning how to type properly, only to now have to learn something new for this nav.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Again, though, why not use voice?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Terrain said:
I find it to be quicker at times to type rather then use the voice commands.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Terrain said:
Whether or not I use voice commands is irrelevant to my question.

I am not used to which commands do what in the car yet, and since its my wifes car I will not get used to them. My company car is a Ford and Im used to those commands.

I still hope to find out that these settings can be changed. It would be nice of companies offered aftermarket software to be used on factory nav systems.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ fair enough.

And for the record the voice command to start route guidance is "destination". The system prompts you for the other information. Very easy and convenient.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Terrain said:
^ fair enough.

And for the record the voice command to start route guidance is "destination". The system prompts you for the other information. Very easy and convenient.
thats good info to know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts