GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you found a way to prevent the audio from coming on when you press the NAV button? I understand the NAV needs the audio system for announcements, but there are times when I just want the NAV screen displayed without audio. Seems like the only way to turn off the sound once the NAV is pressed is to lower the volume all the down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
that is what I do, turn down the sound

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are also times when I just want the nav audio without any music. To do this, I simply turn to XM station zero that has no audio signal. Just something I discovered.

·
Registered
196 Posts
what about the mute button on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I believe there's an option in the NAV config screen to turn NAV voice prompts ON or OFF.
This way you can listen to music without the NAV interruptions.
Come to think of it, there may a Voice Command you can use to turn NAV audio ON or OFF.
Press the Voice Command button on the steering wheel and say "Navigation Help" or something like that.

Here's some other tips for Voice Commands:
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=346.0

Navigation System Manual PDF (see page 43 for turning the Voice Prompt OFF):

http://www.elitecybersolutions.com/terrain/2010_gmc_terrain_navigation.pdf

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
djmodifyd said:
what about the mute button on the steering wheel?
Good idea. I didn't realize that button muted the audio system.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Gearhead is correct, you can also adjust the sound level of the NAV so you can hear it over the radio or turn it down so you can't or turn it off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DavidPJ said:
Good idea. I didn't realize that button muted the audio system.
I confirmed today that the mute button on the steering doesn't mute the NAV annoucements, just the music. So this solution works great. The other solution posted by mdh4psu for tuning to an unused channel also works great.
I also learned there are actually 2 different volumes, one for the NAV annoucements, the other for music. While an announcement is being made, quickly turn the volume control and the screen will show NAV volume and adjust it accordingly. So if you turn the volume control in normal music mode all the way down, you will still be able to hear the NAV annoucements.

What could be confusing is if you accidentally turn the NAV announcement volume all the way down and don't know it. The only way you would know it is down is if your music level keeps dropping in and out while you have a programmed destination but there are no NAV audio annoucements.

Regarding the configuration choices for turning on/off the voice prompts, that's not the problem. I didn't want to turn off the voice prompts with the NAV screen displayed, I just wanted the music audio off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts