GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OnStar made their MyLink application available today at the iPhone store, and I thought I'd share my experience with it. Maybe it will inspire some 2010 owners to try it and report back :)

After downloading both applications (I downloaded MyChevrolet last night) I ended up with 2 icons:

icons

The MyChevrolet application has some useful applications:

main page

Let's get over the simple ones first, the pictures should be pretty much self explanatory:

roadside asistance
parking reminder
schedule service
locate a dealer
owner manual
profile settings

Then there's one that I which my parents had for everything (their car, their computer, their TV): it is a list of every indicator with an explanation:

lights and indicators
light description

Now, about that OnStar app...

The first time you try to use it it will tell you you need to install MyLink, and if you accept it will take you directly to the app store to get it, once you do and download it, this is what you'll find:

sign in

To which, of course, you type your information and get a pretty standard EULA

eula

Which once you accept leads you to the device registration:

registration

Now here's the first true annoyance: asking to register your device causes the app to send you an email with a confirmation code, pretty standard stuff. So you may think, I'll get out of this app, go to my mail, copy the registration, get back to the app and paste it, right? Well, as long as you have your ONStar password memorized that's OK, because as long as you don't register, every time you enter the app, regardless of the "Keep me signed in" setting, it will take you back to the sign in screen.
I personally use 1Password to keep all my passwords secure and synchronized, and as a consequence most of my passwords are very long random sequences of characters, so I have to copy my OnStar password before I enter the app, and then I have already forgotten the registration code . Yes, I solve this with pen and paper, no big deal, but I thought I'd let you know.

Once you enter the magic code, the app starts:

registering

Then it will ask for a nickname for your first vehicle (I assume it will do this for every vehicle, should you have more than one)

Finally it will take you to the app. Here I'll let the pictures do the talking too:

gas and oil
tire pressure
remote
hands free calling information
roadside assistance
command history
Vehicle Information

The only think that probably needs clarification is the status section, which will simply display "Processing" "Sending" or the date and time of the last event for each one of the remote functions, so eventually you can tell when the last time was that you locked your car from your phone. Perfect for people like me, who have to re-check that something was done.

Overall impressions: I really like these apps. they are solid, I got no crashes (which is unusual for first versions) and I'm VERY excited to be able to see how much gas I have BEFORE I agree to drive to lunch at the office :)
I hope this is just the beginning of more functionality. I would like the app to be able to add destinations and settings to the virtual advisor, as well as store phone numbers to the car and plan routes.

I hope this was useful.

Daniel

·
Registered
749 Posts
Downloaded the App. Worthless for 2010 models. And not just Terrain/Equinox owners, Corvette's and Camaro owners are out of luck. Way to go GM, screw over the people who just saved your @$$. Still haven't learned...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does not work for Canada :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was hoping they would make this app for the blackberry and work on the 2010 Terrain

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also the OnStar MyLink app is available for Android in the market now.

androlib.com/android.application.com-gm-onstar-mobile-mylink-qptwp.aspx

If i get my Terrain in the next few days, i will do a write up for sure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I found this on the Onstar website:

When will the OnStar MyLink mobile app be available for previous model year vehicles?
The OnStar MyLink mobile app will be made available on most 2010 model year GM vehicles in 2011.

So I guess next year my old 2010 will work with it

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That is some neat stuff.
8)
Now I have an excuse to get an iPhone just to try it (although I have absolutely no other use for one LOL).
Ahhh, wait, the kids have one, I'll get the app for theirs come 2011.
Thanks for sharing, quantumbyte!

·
Registered
52 Posts
gearhead said:
That is some neat stuff.
8)
Now I have an excuse to get an iPhone just to try it (although I have absolutely no other use for one LOL).
Ahhh, wait, the kids have one, I'll get the app for theirs come 2011.
Thanks for sharing, quantumbyte!
Careful, if you get your own iphone you might not ever put it down ;D
Those android phones look awesome too.

Quantumbyte thanks for the awesome post.

I must have been under a rock for the past 2 days because I just heard the app was out about 35 minutes ago.

I downloaded the app and ran to my desktop to find my OnStar password and do the registration thing.
Then a trip to the garage to check the locks and do the remote start. Wow it all worked. :D
It's interesting that it shows exactly how many gallons of gas are left in the tank. I thought it was going to
be a rough estimate. It'll be cool to have the car warmed up for the wife this winter after we come out of the supermarket.

I hope they really do get this working on earlier models so more people can enjoy it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stratoform said:

I must have been under a rock for the past 2 days because I just heard the app was out about 35 minutes ago.

I downloaded the app and ran to my desktop to find my OnStar password and do the registration thing.
Then a trip to the garage to check the locks and do the remote start. Wow it all worked. :D
It's interesting that it shows exactly how many gallons of gas are left in the tank. I thought it was going to
be a rough estimate. It'll be cool to have the car warmed up for the wife this winter after we come out of the supermarket.

I hope they really do get this working on earlier models so more people can enjoy it.
It's my pleasure. I would like the app to have the ability to tell me where my car is, so even if I didn't save my location I could still find my car. Also, and as has been mentioned before, I should be able to send directions directly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
stratoform said:
Careful, if you get your own iphone you might not ever put it down ;D
Those android phones look awesome too.
[/color]

LOL, yes, I hear that!
I have enough on my plate without having to check e-mails from work etc. at home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oracle said:
Great news for Canadians!! :mad:
OK... But even if you change stores and install it, will the app work? Or have they artificially restricted that too?

·
Registered
170 Posts
For a different app I switched stores and didn't work, my IP address is from a Canadian ISP so no go..

quantumbyte said:
OK... But even if you change stores and install it, will the app work? Or have they artificially restricted that too?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oracle said:
For a different app I switched stores and didn't work, my IP address is from a Canadian ISP so no go..
OK, THAT is absolute BS from an engineering AND from a marketing perspective... Which typically would mean one thing: government regulations. Perhaps GM doesn't have all the required government permits to enable remote control of the car through the cell phone network yet?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Same BS with CTC and laws and regulations... No wonder in Canukistan we have an oligopoly of Cell providers, cable providers, etc..
...don't get me started :-X

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tried doing this on my iphone but it came back "vehicle not supported" So even though I put in all the passwords, it was a no-go.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's a no-go for all 2010 models right now. I got the same thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Phantm006 said:
It's a no-go for all 2010 models right now. I got the same thing.
Maybe OnStar and GM got mixed up
... "MyLink for 2010 models available in 2011, MyLink for 2011 models available in 2010" ::) :p

I hope it is compatible soon for more model years. I also wish OnStar wasn't so expensive...but that's another topic ;D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Phantm006 said:
Downloaded the App. Worthless for 2010 models. And not just Terrain/Equinox owners, Corvette's and Camaro owners are out of luck. Way to go GM, screw over the people who just saved your @$$. Still haven't learned...
You do realize that 2010 models got a full year of OnStar for free, while 2011 models got only 6 months. Am I ranting about that? NO! It's a bit of a trade-off--less free time but 2011 owners get the app earlier. The app didn't even exist when you got your car and that was fine, but suddenly now you're angry about not getting something you didn't pay for? And you do realize the OnStar app will work on your car early next year? So please quit griping about perceived injustices and what you didn't get. ::)

·
Registered
86 Posts
mnussbaum said:
You do realize that 2010 models got a full year of OnStar for free, while 2011 models got only 6 months. Am I ranting about that? NO! It's a bit of a trade-off--less free time but 2011 owners get the app earlier. The app didn't even exist when you got your car and that was fine, but suddenly now you're angry about not getting something you didn't pay for? And you do realize the OnStar app will work on your car early next year? So please quit griping about perceived injustices and what you didn't get. ::)
The problem is that GM could be making more money here and capitalizing on the 2010 people. AKA those people who bought an early 2010 and their OnStar subscription has expired. The app could persuade these owners to re-up their OnStar package in order to use the features of the app. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a 12 month free sub to Onstar instead of the app, but I think GM is missing an opportunity here with their older customers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts