GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i'm a new to this fourm and wanted to share some of the things i learned buying a new nox. I owned a vw passat konfort edition and even though the car was nice and rode like a dream it had it's problems. One was eating oil, i ran the car dry about four times where the car's warnning light came on telling me to shut the car off, i talked to the dealer and they said it was normal for the car to use oil. That lasted three years when i decided to look for something else. The first car i looked at was the ford escape with a 6 cylinder with a sticker price of $28740. The car was nice and i tried to make the deal but they just couldn't get me where i wanted to be. I then looked at other deals in the paper when i came across the chevy and decied to to give it a look. Compaired to the ford it was bigger and more comfortable, better ride, better brakes (four wheel disks where the ford had only front) and way better gas milage. I was concerned with the power being a 4 cylinder but to my suprise it had alot. The model we looked at was $26404 way cheaper, we were sold and i took the car home that day. I must say GM is getting it togeather and making a great product. This fourm rocks !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The Escape was one of the vehicles I was considering as well. The one I drove was nice (loaded XLT) but still didn't measure up to even the base model Equinox in my opinion. Also, the V6 in the Escape really didn't feel that much stronger than the Ecotec 4cyl in the Equinox.....a little more low end grunt, but not enough to justify the gas mileage hit. The Nox was also quieter and didn't "buck" as much over freeway expansion joints. The other Ford I tried (Edge) compared more favorably to the Equinox in every area but exterior/interior styling and gas mileage. The real killer for the Edge is the pricetag though...easily goes way over 30k when you start equipping it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
NoobNox said:
The other Ford I tried (Edge) compared more favorably to the Equinox in every area but exterior/interior styling and gas mileage. The real killer for the Edge is the pricetag though...easily goes way over 30k when you start equipping it.
To be fair to Ford the Edge competes with the Traverse and not the Equinox, so if you compare prices of those two they may be comparable.

I do agree that the Nox leads the Escape in most areas. The Escape is quite "dated" and although it's hugely popular it lags behind the new Nox in refinement, fuel economy, ride, quietness, handling and appearance. The Escape is more "truck" like and as a friend said who owns a new one, "it's a choppy tin box".

For us whether or not the two were equally priced, the Nox gets the thumbs up so IMO you made the right choice. Now if you throw the Dodge Journey into this comparison, then the Journey IMO doesn't even reach the bottom of the scale, especially the base (aka stripped) model. Around here they sell lots of them but I hope these people know that you get what you pay for, or in this case don't get what you didn't pay for.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
2010Nox said:
To be fair to Ford the Edge competes with the Traverse and not the Equinox, so if you compare prices of those two they may be comparable.
I don't agree. The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave are all 7 passenger vehicles with actual seating for adults in the rear. The Edge is a 5 passenger wth a trunk no bigger then the Nox/Terrain/SRX.

Having had an acadia for 3 years and looking at the Edge before getting my Terrain, I wouldn't say they are comparable.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
NY_Joe said:
I don't agree. The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave are all 7 passenger vehicles with actual seating for adults in the rear. The Edge is a 5 passenger wth a trunk no bigger then the Nox/Terrain/SRX.

Having had an acadia for 3 years and looking at the Edge before getting my Terrain, I wouldn't say they are comparable.
That's the way I see it as well. The Edge is a little wider than the Nox/Terrain giving the illusion of a bigger vehicle..but it is actually shorter in length and has comparable interior/cargo room. I guess the only Ford that is real competition for the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave would be the Flex.....or maybe the new uni-body Explorer?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I stand corrected then! Which IMO makes the new Nox even more the leader of the compact CUV category.

However to me it doesn't make a lot of sense for Ford to have two CUV's in roughly the same category other than options/luxury. That can, and is handled by another badge such as Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
2010Nox said:
I stand corrected then! Which IMO makes the new Nox even more the leader of the compact CUV category.

However to me it doesn't make a lot of sense for Ford to have two CUV's in roughly the same category other than options/luxury. That can, and is handled by another badge such as Lincoln.
I think the Escape outlived it's planned run because it continued to sell year after year...but now there is much more competition, and Ford will either have to do a major redesign or drop it altogether. I think the Edge/Escape are able to coexist because the Escape appeals to people who want a lower cost small SUV with traditional styling, while the Edge appeals to people who want the latest thing. Same with the Flex/new Explorer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
NoobNox said:
I think the Escape outlived it's planned run because it continued to sell year after year...but now there is much more competition, and Ford will either have to do a major redesign or drop it altogether. I think the Edge/Escape are able to coexist because the Escape appeals to people who want a lower cost small SUV with traditional styling, while the Edge appeals to people who want the latest thing. Same with the Flex/new Explorer.
The escape is due for a redesign in 2012. Word on the street is that it will resemble the European Ford Kuga. I was hoping to wait till close to 2012 to see what other manufacturers will have to offer(Escape, CR-V, Rav 4), but at the same time the Terrain is exactly what i want. Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
rutger1413 said:
The escape is due for a redesign in 2012. Word on the street is that it will resemble the European Ford Kuga. I was hoping to wait till close to 2012 to see what other manufacturers will have to offer(Escape, CR-V, Rav 4), but at the same time the Terrain is exactly what i want. Decisions decisions!
I would go for the sure thing rather than wait for an unknown. Ford has been producing winners lately...but then again so has GM.

·
Registered
332 Posts
NoobNox said:
Ford has been producing winners lately...but then again so has GM.
So where does that leave Chrysler?

·
Registered
378 Posts
2010Nox said:
So where does that leave Chrysler?
World of lemons? What sucks about Chrysler lemon is that you can't even make lemonade out of it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
martymac63 said:
I look at the jeep liberty and all most fell over when i saw the mpg it got
Or all the internal organ damages from it? Man that car rides rough. Oh and no cruise control as standard? What year is this, 1980? Oh and the pillars are so tight my shoulders constantly leaned on them. God what an awful car. Rented it as "midsize SUV" and I had to call and have it replaced with older generation Equinox after first 100 miles - drove over 1000 miles that weekend, there is no way I'd have survived if I had gone through with the liberty.

·
Registered
332 Posts
martymac63 said:
I look at the jeep liberty and all most fell over when i saw the mpg it got
You think that's bad, it was either the 2009 or 2010 Commander which had the absolute worst fuel mileage ever. It drinks more fuel than a Hemi quad cab truck.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
georgi55 said:
World of lemons? What sucks about Chrysler lemon is that you can't even make lemonade out of it!
We looked at the Journey and in all fairness the 7-passenger option was pretty good, as was the "beverage cooler in the glovebox...cold beer for the passenger, of course...LOL, J/K!).
The wife didn't like it as she stated 'we may as well get a van!' which she did not want.
Plus, we heard of major powertrain issues, whether true or not, that was the nail in the coffin for the Chrysler, as were the rear drum brakes for the Escape.

·
Registered
332 Posts
gearhead said:
We looked at the Journey and in all fairness the 7-passenger option was pretty good...
I am under the impression that getting 7 adult passengers into a journey is a tight squeeze and not a comfortable ride. Also having any size of 7 passengers negates basically all cargo capacity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts