GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Care to post your MSRP, and how much you paid ? People have been reporting some fantastic deals.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
OK - Great Deal !
I would call it a "Believable" Deal ... unlike many of the alleged (and unsubstantiated) 'deals' that have been posted here previously.

Reactions: Racerx

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I would call it a "Believable" Deal ... unlike many of the alleged (and unsubstantiated) 'deals' that have been posted here previously.
Plenty of *Proof* . . . .

Just none that is ever acceptable to some. . . . .:nerd:
Here is just one post in the thread where the OP states 3 times and posts pictures of his purchase price. One or two other also reported similar pricing. Some even challenged you to post what deals you could get in the same time frame. But you declined and never came up with anything. Now. . those best deal prices are expired. It does not prove they were not valid and real. . .

UPDATE:

I signed papers last night. I was able to get some added discounts. I was given a $2000 rebate because I was leasing a competitor vehicle (Jeep), bringing total rebates to $6700. GM financial's interest rate was not competitive so I went through my credit union. We took off the GM Financial $750 rebate down to $5950 but they split the difference and took an extra $375 off the selling price.

MSRP: $33360
Selling Price: $30302
Accessories: $494.00
After Incentives: $24846 before TTT

That's over 25% off MSRP!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mogg got a better deal than I did at his $24846 before taxes and fees. My before was $24855.46 and mine with a lessor MSRP. Didn't have as good rebate.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
My local newspaper was advertising $7K discounts on '18 Terrains, but I think that $2750 of the rebate was for people with a '99 or newer competing brand. Weird that they have the cut-off at '99 and i own a '98 Maxima. Seems like '99 has been the year for several years now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Congrats...

I can't stop being jealous.

As a scientist the different people statements here and Occam's razor tells me that most probably these prices are true...May be one perverted mind to torture others that they got a good price but 5 or 6 or 10 ...most probably not.

But as a human being i can't stop feeling jealous that people buying the same car got it for 5k or 7k cheaper just 5 months after i got mine...Darn could have remodelled the bathroom which i have been hoping to do for years now with that kind of money....so that is why i can't keep hoping it is not true...but the facts are most probably i over paid. I'll live with it :)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Congrats...

I can't stop being jealous.

As a scientist the different people statements here and Occam's razor tells me that most probably these prices are true...May be one perverted mind to torture others that they got a good price but 5 or 6 or 10 ...most probably not.

But as a human being i can't stop feeling jealous that people buying the same car got it for 5k or 7k cheaper just 5 months after i got mine...Darn could have remodelled the bathroom which i have been hoping to do for years now with that kind of money....so that is why i can't keep hoping it is not true...but the facts are most probably i over paid. I'll live with it :)
Timing when buying things is often a key element for best price. Look at existing home prices.
That said, most of us here have not seen deals this good in years. We got similar pricing with rebates, bonus cash, etc in 2005 on a Malibu with $8,000 off. On our 2015 Equinox and 2017 Colorado truck that we ordered from the factory we were good to get $4K to $5K off on a $34K to $35K MSRP.

We feel the same. .. . just another fact of life. :plain:

Reactions: tizan and Racerx

·
Registered
665 Posts
Timing when buying things is often a key element for best price. Look at existing home prices.
That said, most of us here have not seen deals this good in years. We got similar pricing with rebates, bonus cash, etc in 2005 on a Malibu with $8,000 off. On our 2015 Equinox and 2017 Colorado truck that we ordered from the factory we were good to get $4K to $5K off on a $34K to $35K MSRP.

We feel the same. .. . just another fact of life. :plain:
Yup i would have expected that kind of drop in price when a refresh of the model is close ...may be next year or in 2 years time. May be that is the sign of something....the cars are really cheaper (Hecho en Mexico ?) or they are going to refresh sooner than later.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Yup i would have expected that kind of drop in price when a refresh of the model is close ...may be next year or in 2 years time. May be that is the sign of something....the cars are really cheaper (Hecho en Mexico ?) or they are going to refresh sooner than later.
I am guessing that the low labor costs of Mexico are driving the aggressive pricing and not a planned refresh. GM tends to ride the styling way too long, and this is its 1st year. Although, I thought that with factory automation, labor would be a much smaller piece of the cost structure. JayTee - you probably have good knowledge of this, right ?

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I am guessing that the low labor costs of Mexico are driving the aggressive pricing and not a planned refresh. GM tends to ride the styling way too long, and this is its 1st year. Although, I thought that with factory automation, labor would be a much smaller piece of the cost structure. JayTee - you probably have good knowledge of this, right ?
Not sure what current average labor productions cost are, but it has usually been between 4.5% to 6% on the high side per vehicle produced. Full sized trucks were around 5.5%. And this includes all labor overhead (assembly, material delivery to the line, skilled trades, maintenance, manufacturing engineering, etc) including pay into pensions, health insurance and other benefits. Not sure what Mexico would be. .somewhat lower I would imagine. Labor costs and cursing the #$#@)#$ unions has always been a fruitless fallacy. Parts, transportation and all the levels of management, engineering, and product development are the real costs.

To put that into perspective, Henry Ford was happy to have labor cost at 15% on his $600 to $700 Model T after he started production line techniques. And this included Ford City housing, kids schools, and health care at that time.

Sorry. . . it wasn't labor costs that forced GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy.
It was the sudden loss of 60 to 90 day credit in late 2008 that caused the auto makers and other businesses to use up all the on hand cash they had. In GM and Chryslers case. . billions were used up in 3 to 6 months because the great Wall St Bank Gurus and creative financing products (derivatives, etc) froze credit from about September 2008 to well into 2009. Easy low cost credit dried up for new and used vehicle sales as well. No sales. . . no company income. . . no business.

A connected back story is also that fuel costs rose to the highest levels ever in U.S history starting in early 2008. Second shift production was stopped on full sized SUVs and trucks and many cars. Full sized SUVs and trucks sales sank with $3.50 to $4.00/gal gas prices. Several independent trucking companies reneged on their logistics delivery contracts with GM because they could not afford to keep going with diesel at $4.50 to $4.75 a gallon. They just up and quit leaving GM to use air delivery of many parts which also burned through company cash even faster spelling demise.
Those are the facts . . . whether some like to believe it or not.
The mistrust within the banking community was the primary cause of the 2008 financial crisis and credit crisis that put businesses in jeopardy.

https://www.thebalance.com/2008-financial-crisis-3305679

https://www.thebalance.com/2007-financial-crisis-overview-3306138

https://www.thebalance.com/savings-and-loans-crisis-causes-cost-3306035

https://ourfiniteworld.com/2013/10/23/rising-energy-costs-lead-to-recession-eventually-collapse/

Reactions: Racerx and tizan

·
Registered
665 Posts
JayTee, thanks for these numbers...so taking production to Mexico may make it cheaper by a few % due to labor, and may be another few % due to transportation especially if some parts are built in Mexico...but not much if the engine or other parts are coming from Canada or Hungary.
I am not sure i understand why they moved productions like that..may be it is easier to open and close production lines ...or hire and fire in Mexico.

But sadly i think it affects quality control a bit.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
JayTee--Thanks for the insight. Always suspected that was the root cause, but had never seen anyone else say it so succinctly.

JayTee, thanks for these numbers...so taking production to Mexico may make it cheaper by a few % due to labor, and may be another few % due to transportation especially if some parts are built in Mexico...but not much if the engine or other parts are coming from Canada or Hungary.
I am not sure i understand why they moved productions like that..may be it is easier to open and close production lines ...or hire and fire in Mexico.

But sadly i think it affects quality control a bit.
Thanks fellows.
Also, Mexico may not be so cheap for transportation anymore. Not sure if gas and oil prices went back down, but in early 2017, GM and other companies could not get parts in January-February because the Mexican government cut fuel subsidies and gas and diesel oil sky rocketed. Gas stations ran out and deliveries to stations were halted.

I saw what happened first hand back in 2007 through late 2008 working at a full sized SUV GM plant. We also had some SUV made in a Mexican plant and they never could match our 580 to +600 SUVs per shift that we could and maintain the quality. Our plant worked two 10 hour shifts and output was 1,100 to +1,200 SUVs a day or 4,400 to +4,800 a week. Profit per SUV back then ( 1996 to 2006 ) was said to be $6K to $10K per SUV. The plant also shipped export to places like the Sudan, Europe, and elsewhere. That one plant made millions of $ each and every week for over 10 years. Of course, the way it is in the auto business the profits from money making plants offset the loss in many other car plants.

Sad. . . but it all crashed really quickly. I retired at 60 years old 6 months before it all hit the fan. It was great working for the several GM plants I worked at. I got to work in several technical and non technical areas while there. Amazing times.

Well. . sorry for the off topic derail. . . Rit333's questions often catch me doing that. .. . lol.

Reactions: RIT333 and Racerx
1 - 19 of 19 Posts