GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...just registered on the site. I've only had my new Nox for a few days but I find the ride very floaty and wavy, almost like being in a boat. It's so bad that I feel like I'm still moving when I'm sitting on the couch at home. I called the dealership and spoke to a mechanic who also owns the same car and I was told the suspension is generally soft but that it would firm up quite a bit once you hit approx 3000kms. I sure hope it does because I can't handle driving a car like this. I was somehwat concerned when i took it for a test drive, but figured I would get used to it.

I am very pleased with everything else but if these vertigo-like symptoms don't subside I might have to sell this car. I never had any issues like this before. This is my first SUV. I had a 2000 BMW 323 prior to this.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar as I would like to hear from you.

Thanks
2011 LT NOX (4 cylinder, fwd, black granite metallic, leather, sunroof, 18"tires, power hatch)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I like the ride of my Nox nice and smooth. Should have gone with your instincts when you did your test drive.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When I saw "this is my first SUV" I knew immediately that is the issue. Any SUV (even the big ones) tend to sway a bit from side to side on various road surfaces because they are top heavy vehicles...even more so than a truck of the same dimensions. The worst SUV's are the ones with the short wheelbases (Escape, Hyundai Tucson etc..) and the ones with softer suspensions. (non 4X4 Suburbans etc..) The Equinox/Terrain has a longer wheelbase than anything else in it's class making the bucking (forward to back) miinimal but it still has a bit of side to side motion even with the firm suspension. You'll either get used to it, or hate it and never want an SUV/CUV again..

edit- You can minimize the effect by putting slightly wider/lower profile tires on your Nox, but you can't completely eliminate it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't find that the suspenssion of my Terrain is soft... It's even harder than my 06 Maxima...

Maybe you have deffective suspenssion parts...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...actually it is the back and forth rocking motion that is really bothering me, i can't really say i notice much sway from side to side. Funny i was driving behind another nox today and i could see the car moving up and down and it was very noticeable. I will at least wait a few months to see if it settles down as the mechanic mentioned. If it doesn't improve, then I'm pretty much resigned to a loss if I have to sell, which sucks.

The mechanic mentioned that the shocks are packed tight or something to that effect when the car is built, so it takes some time for them to be fully functional...if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you sure is not related to the fumes of the new materials? I was sick for the first 2 months to the point of pull over once to barf it out.. (fortunately nothing happened).
Try driving with all windows down + moonroof open and not A/C. See how you feel...
I parked the car in the garage will all windows down to help the smell go away..

(I used to like the new car smell, now I can't stand it :-[ )

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If this is your first SUV that is the problem.

Ours made me a little sick when we first got it thanks to the concrete roads in our area.

It really doesnt soften up but you get used to it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do you all have suspension problems except me ? This is my first SUV also... Mine is stable as a rock. Nothing more that a very great ride and handling.

Maybe it have to do with the 17" wheels ???? I am running on 19" in summer and 18" on winter and i have absolutely no front/rear or side to side rocking at all !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You just are used to it probably. Concrete roads with the patches really move the vehicle around. On smooth roads the car is super nice to ride in.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am in Quebec, Canada here, the worst roads ever made and mixed with freeze and unfreeze of our winters ! Thrust me, we almost need a Hummer to drive here... and i have a very great ride in my Terrain.

bballr4567 said:
You just are used to it probably. Concrete roads with the patches really move the vehicle around. On smooth roads the car is super nice to ride in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one of my co workers has the same car and her daughter barfed 4 times in the back on a long trip. And they had a Saturn SUV prior to that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cold canuck said:
I've only had my new Nox for a few days
I think that may be key. When we first got our Terrain our backroads had a lot of frost heaves (not broken pavement just humps). The 'brand new out of the box' suspension made for an interesting ride for a while. It also ensured it get broken in quickly and it has. At 1500 miles or so the ride is pretty nice.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I feel the ride in our 2011 Nox is great for it's class. It's much tighter than the minivan we got rid of.

I will add that I think your mechanic full of it. There should be NO difference in ride between 0 and 3000 kms.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I thought the ride was pretty good, the cornering actually impressed me. My last vehicle was an Impala. Maybe I'm just used to riding in my wife's Vibe.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think i got it. FWD models must have a softer rear suspension than the AWD models. That wpuld explain why some of us find that is firm and others find the ride too smooth...

·
Registered
698 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I think i got it. FWD models must have a softer rear suspension than the AWD models. That wpuld explain why some of us find that is firm and others find the ride too smooth...
Actually, having owned both I find the AWD rode softer in the rear and was 'floatier'... probably because of the added weight of the differential and half-shafts. I would bet the suspension is identical.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The rear suspension cant be identical exactly for that reason : rear diff. + shafts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
The rear suspension cant be identical exactly for that reason : rear diff. + shafts.
Why not? Ever looked under a Ford Escape? The cradle is there even though there's no diff.

Although to be honest, I've never looked under the back of mine to see if the cradle is there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts