·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Congrats, are you going for 200K?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think well drive for many more years.. so 200K probably so.

I received email that Vandenberg Air Force Base was launching NROL-82
Gassed up and hit the highway. I had 2.5 hrs before launch. so I tried to stay at 80 MPH as much as I could. I drove as far as I could- with 5 min to launch. I got off highway and parked.
Vehicle showed 27.8 MPG.
For return I reset MPG,25, and 50 mile range.
this is what it showed nearing 100,000.

image from online..

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think well drive for many more years.. so 200K probably so.

I received email that Vandenberg Air Force Base was launching NROL-82
Gassed up and hit the highway. I had 2.5 hrs before launch. so I tried to stay at 80 MPH as much as I could. I drove as far as I could- with 5 min to launch. I got off highway and parked.
Vehicle showed 27.8 MPG.
For return I reset MPG,25, and 50 mile range.
this is what it showed nearing 100,000.

image from online..
I have NEVER seen anything close to 30 mpg’s! Best I’ve ever done is like 25.8! But I have had an IPF performance time installed since new...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow....the only time we ever get near 30mpg on out Terrain is in the mountains coming back down. Our highway MPG at 80MPH is easily below 25mpg....probably closer to 21-22.

I know there are aero differences between the two....just didn’t think quite that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did replace all 4 Oxygen sensors and plugs at 99,000.
But Ive always gotten great mileage on highways.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Same here with my 2015 V6. No issue seeing 28-30mpg on all highway driving with the cruise set at 55-60mph.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Same here with my 2015 V6. No issue seeing 28-30mpg on all highway driving with the cruise set at 55-60mph.
...May be my problem right there...cruise is set at 78 mph every chance I get...

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
609 Posts
I saw that launch too... I live in lompoc though like 5 miles from where it launched. U should try and see one with the sonic boom its friggin loud.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWD or AWD? Ours is AWD.

I have changed one O2 sensor a couple years back. Still on factory plugs, but only at 75k miles.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Christopherlompoc,
I had wondered if you lived in Lompoc.
Previous launches Ive made it to Lompoc, then head over to Ocean Ave and 13th. Nice spot to watch launches. Usually Space X crowd.

This time, I made it as far as Gaviota and pulled off highway. Too bad I ran out of time.
After that I drove to Andersens Pea Soup- bought some cans of the soup for my kids.
My brother was stationed at Vandenberg for many years back in the mid 90s.
Hes been at Eglin for many years now.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWD or AWD? Ours is AWD.

I have changed one O2 sensor a couple years back. Still on factory plugs, but only at 75k miles.

Mine is FWD.
Someone said the AWD- require the engine cradle to be loosened?
I wonder if its easier to do what I did... replace all the suspension parts to get easier access?
I also changed all the plugs when I did this work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine is FWD.
Someone said the AWD- require the engine cradle to be loosened?
I wonder if its easier to do what I did... replace all the suspension parts to get easier access?
I also changed all the plugs when I did this work.
AWD vs FWD along with the aero differences may explain the MPG differences. Or I just drive like a Jackass. :)

The O2 sensor I changed was a huge PITA for sure. It was up underneath with a crossmember in the way. I was able to reach the harness/clip through the passenger wheel well barely.

Is there any trick to changing plugs in these? I have not taken a close look to see how buried the rear plugs are and not sure if things need to be removed.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Is there any trick to changing plugs in these? I have not taken a close look to see how buried the rear plugs are and not sure if things need to be removed.
Front three are super easy from the top.
Back three can be had from the bottom with a lift, extensions, and a lot of patience.

I vote for pull the intake manifold, sounds ugly but not that bad.
Gives you a chance to look over a lot of things, just take your time.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the intake does need to come off.
the harder part for me-- was removing some of the clips that hold the wiring looms in place- to the intake.
I also blew compressed air all around the area of the intake. lots of sand build up here over time.
in the picture below- Ive removed the intake.
Take note that the air filter box is also missing. I removed the air filter box-- as I also replaced the motor mount in that side. Its quite easy to R/R that mount.
I install a new Intake gasket.
But note that when the intake comes off- there are small rings of oil left on some of the openings.
I clean this up. I vacuum the area. I also stuck the vacuum into the holes in case anything fell in when the intake is pulled off.

I used one of these on the rear plugs to look into the plug hole-- checking for possible pooled oil.. none found.
Since there is lots of dust around the plug area, before I removed each plug- I blew compressed air around the area and into the hole. Didnt want anything falling into the hole when the plug is removed.
I also did 1 plug at a time.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive saw a video on youtube. Where they were going to do the plugs.
When the intake is removed- I clearly saw something fall into the intake holes.... I didnt see the person go in there and fish out whatever fell in.
Thats why Im careful and blow/vacuum area as I work.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
How the heck do you avg 30 mpg????

2014 Terrain SLE-2 /Silver Sky Metallic / 3.6 L V6 / AWD / Pioneer Stereo / 85,600 miles as of March 2021
I got this in our 2015 Equinox on a trip mostly +70 MPH and it wasn't even broken in yet. . .

We are getting even somewhat better in our 2019 Acadia with the newer 3.6L LGX V6 engine.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,820 Posts
the intake does need to come off.
That's a shame! I guess it's a consequence of the design of the engine ... and it's not like you're changing spark plugs very often, but any time you can do maintenance with the least bit of perturbation, that's the way you want to do it (IMO). Even just bending those dried-up electrical wires ... I wonder how often that results in electrical issues later on?

BTW, I just watched this guy's (excellent) video. But you were mentioning how careful you were with making sure you had all the debris cleared away ...and then I had to laugh watching this guy do a quick, superficial, compressed-air "cleaning", but still leaving that pile of leaves sitting right there on the cowling!

Someone in the comments section (probably a professional mechanic) gave him some "constructive criticism" (that made sense to me). He said "there's a fundamental rule about working on anything that can be contaminated. Always work farthest away and come towards you. In this case, you should have worked on the plugs closest to the firewall (away from you) and then worked your way to the front of the engine (close to you). Then, You wouldn't have to worry so much about constantly going over the front openings of the plugs and possibly getting even the smallest debris into the intakes. Also, you should have used painters tape instead of a rag to completely close off the cylinders"

Painter's tape would've stayed in place?

=====
Also - my original factory plugs are still in my 2011 Nox ... and almost at 160,000 miles now! You guys can laugh at me when I go to pull them out and they come out in pieces! And I've never gotten better than, say, 27 mpg with my 3.0L Nox ... and only when I drove way down there at 60-65 mph, which I just cannot do on my long East Coast drives! When I'm bombing up and down I-95 at 75 mph on my 900-mile one-way jaunts, I[m getting around 23 mpg. And lately, even just driving the Nox back and forth to work (27 miles each way), in place of the 2002 Impala (which kills the Nox in the fuel economy game), I think I'm only getting about 27, although I haven't cared enough to really give it a good, clean test. Maybe I should do that before the Impala comes back from its pit stop!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts