GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

how can this be?

• car was stolen at one time?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ignition is just messed up?

Votes: 0 0.0%

my 98 vw jetta key also starts my 05 chevy equinox how can this be?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RIT333 
#1 ·
How can my 1998 volkswagon jetta start my 2005 chevy equinox? This morning I went out to start my equinox and let it warm up when I accidentally grabbed my jetta keys and started the equinox with them only to find out they were not the equinox keys, the keys don't look alike so could the ignition not have tumblers in it? I just bought the equinox 2 months ago could it have been stolen and the ignition was punched? I did car fax on it before I bout it and I bought it from a licensed chevy dealer, should I bring it back to the dealer and bring it to they're attention?

#2 ·
05chevyequ said:
How can my 1998 volkswagon jetta start my 2005 chevy equinox? This morning I went out to start my equinox and let it warm up when I accidentally grabbed my jetta keys and started the equinox with them only to find out they were not the equinox keys, the keys don't look alike so could the ignition not have tumblers in it? I just bought the equinox 2 months ago could it have been stolen and the ignition was punched? I did car fax on it before I bout it and I bought it from a licensed chevy dealer, should I bring it back to the dealer and bring it to they're attention?
Maybe GM and VW buy the steering colums from the same vendor and there are only so many conbinations for the keys and you got the same combo on 2 different vehicles.

#3 ·
fourmoremarine said:
Maybe GM and VW buy the steering colums from the same vendor and there are only so many conbinations for the keys and you got the same combo on 2 different vehicles.
I thought all GM vehicles were "chipped" in the keys. Thereby they could have less key cuts but infinite keys.

#6 ·
If you buy a new fob and key don't you have to program it to your vehicle the keys dont have different chips on them
Back in those years keys were different so its possible out of the millions of combinations out there he got the same one on two different keys JMO

#7 ·
05chevyequ said:
I would be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#8 ·
'05 does not have theft components in the ignition cylinder. Does the Equinox start the Jetta? Probably not. You have an ignition cylinder problem.

#9 ·
UM...has anyone here thought of what the odds would be that one person would end up with those SAME key combinations on two different vehicles?! That's gotta be like a 1 in 5 bagajillion. (yes, I made that number up)

Have you tried any other keys, out of curiosity?

#10 ·
Sumr616 said:
UM...has anyone here thought of what the odds would be that one person would end up with those SAME key combinations on two different vehicles?! That's gotta be like a 1 in 5 bagajillion. (yes, I made that number up)
Or maybe a Googol ! (that is a real number !) Google it !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.