GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all my lights are from Steve at kbcarstuff.com :thumb: I have the 5000K low beam and now the OSRAM Nightbreaker Plus Halogen Bulbs in the High beam. I just also installed the 3000K in the fogs! This is an outstanding combo, Thanks Steve for all the help.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post up feedback and pictures of the XenonDepot HID kit. I am personally a fan of going with 3000k in the fogs as well =)

Let me know how you like the Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs in your high beams.

Regards,

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
TNT said:
Ok, all my lights are from Steve at kbcarstuff.com :thumb: I have the 5000K low beam and now the OSRAM Nightbreaker Plus Halogen Bulbs in the High beam. I just also installed the 3000K in the fogs! This is an outstanding combo, Thanks Steve for all the help.
did you go can-bus?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Our ballasts are not "CAN-BUS" ballasts. We choose not to use these types of ballasts as effectively they simply have a capacitor wired into the input connection of the ballast. We prefer to make this component a modular piece as if the capacitor ever fails you do not need to replace the ballast. We also found that advertised "CAN-BUS" ballasts do not work 100% of the time. They work in some applications however not in others.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, on the headlights only. Its not needed on the fogs. If you order from Steve and use this forums code, He will supply the relays and can-bus FREE! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
TNT said:
Yes, on the headlights only. Its not needed on the fogs. If you order from Steve and use this forums code, He will supply the relays and can-bus FREE! :thumb:
that is why i refused to order them. can-bus senses what the bcm needs and i don't need a lot of excessive wires running amuck. i had normal digital ballasts on my other cars but i prefer a nice clean install without excess wires.

and in the case of the THETAS vehicles they work flawlessly and i have yet to see someone say they don't work 100% of the time as Steve has mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
To clarify: CAN-BUS ballasts do not work on 100% of CANBUS equipped vehicles.

The reason you require capacitors or (CAN-BUS) ballasts when installing HIDs on the low beams of the equinox is due to the DRL using PCM. When DRLs are activated a pulse of alternating 0 volts and 13 volts is sent to the relay or ballast (depending on whether you use a relay harness or not). This causes the relay (or ballast) to switch on and off very fast, causing the HIDs to strobe and/or the relays to chatter. A Capacitor modulates the power going to the ballast (or relay) and prevents the lights from flickering. Using a relay harness simply ensures that the ballasts always receive a constant 12V as they draw power directly from the battery as opposed to the OEM wiring. While this may be overkill if you are using a low draw HID ballast it is suggested when the ballast is not a low draw ballast. We have tested some 35W and 55W ballasts that drew >17A on a cold start which is higher than what OEM halogen wiring is rated for.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
XenonDepot said:
To clarify: CAN-BUS ballasts do not work on 100% of CANBUS equipped vehicles.
Steve
we are not talking about 100% of Canbus equipped vehicles we are only interested in the THETA vehicles and they work fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
After some carefull consideration, I think I will not go with the aftermarket HID kit. I wish that GM would offer this as a factory option, I would have paid for it.
When I need to replace the stock bulbs, I might consider Philips X-treme Power if available in H11, or maybe even OSRAM Night Breaker PLUS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
CFRTim said:
After some carefull consideration, I think I will not go with the aftermarket HID kit. I wish that GM would offer this as a factory option, I would have paid for it.
When I need to replace the stock bulbs, I might consider Philips X-treme Power if available in H11, or maybe even OSRAM Night Breaker PLUS.
any particular reason? i do enjoy mine and think its great to read signs and see reflectors 1/4 mile away. i have HIDs on all the cars i own and they are a really nice "safety" addition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
AMG Eric said:
any particular reason? i do enjoy mine and think its great to read signs and see reflectors 1/4 mile away. i have HIDs on all the cars i own and they are a really nice "safety" addition.
As far as "safety" goes, I never had issues seeing with the standard head-lights in my Nox, and I do a lot of driving at night in the burbs. Speaking of safety , I also don't wanna blind people, and have yet to see one aftermarket HID kit that doesn't. Both you and I have the 2LT trim, that means no projector style headlamps. What I might consider doing is installing the H9 bulb, see how that goes. Like i said, I wish GM offred HID in the Nox/Terrain, but then again, they would have a hard time moving the SRX at higher prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
CFRTim:

Let me know if you are interested in trying out H11 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs. I would be more than happy to send you out a set in exchange for a product review.

AMG Eric: I disagree with you that a "CAN-BUS" ballast will will on all THETA vehicles after reading numerous HID kit threads on this board.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
XenonDepot said:
CFRTim:

Let me know if you are interested in trying out H11 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs. I would be more than happy to send you out a set in exchange for a product review.

AMG Eric: I disagree with you that a "CAN-BUS" ballast will will on all THETA vehicles after reading numerous HID kit threads on this board.

Steve
Steve let's be honest you are here to sell product and we are here for the free flow of ideas. my can-bus connected and worked flawlessly and they were china made, no extra harness or wiring dangling around. let us be the judge of what works since we are buying the products and posting photos of our cars. i read every thread on HID's on this board b4 i purchased any HID's for my Theta. the consensus for those of us that don't buy from your store is Can-Bus is the simple solution that works and doesn't require extra wires running all over the place. Just look at your own threads how long it took for you to understand the DRL. I think i read 15 pages of you trying to figure it out while others were trying to tell you what was wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Eric, You are 100% correct. I am here to sell a product that I feel is best suited for the vehicle and it is up to the forum member whether or not to purchase it. I believe that using a relay harness for this application is the best possible solution for the Equinox (especially in cases where there is a power drop when the lights turn on when the vehicle is starting). **forum members have installed our kit without the use of a relay harness however we recommend that it does get used**. Unless I am mistaken you posted about having an issue with your light misfiring in a thread...

I understand DRL, PCM, and Ballast peak current draw quite well thanks. I also know that overdriving 35W bulbs with 55W ballasts will cause the lights to fail prematurely and potentially damage your headlights due to additional heat. Only time will tell though right?

I get that you prefer not to have a supporting vendor on this site so perhaps contact admin about this rather than throwing a hissy fit everytime I post in a thread.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
XenonDepot said:
Eric, You are 100% correct. I am here to sell a product that I feel is best suited for the vehicle and it is up to the forum member whether or not to purchase it. forum members have installed our kit without the use of a relay harness however we recommend that it does get used**. Unless I am mistaken you posted about having an issue with your light misfiring in a thread...
i have 0 issues with my lighting. they are great and the vendor bent over backwards to make me happy and i didn't pay a fortune and shipping was free and he was from Canada as well. Thanks for asking though.

XenonDepot said:
I understand DRL, PCM, and Ballast peak current draw quite well thanks. I also know that overdriving 35W bulbs with 55W ballasts will cause the lights to fail prematurely and potentially damage your headlights due to additional heat. Only time will tell though right?
well its a good thing my HID vendor sent me 55W ballasts and 55W lamps. BTW i ran 35W lamps and 55W ballasts on my Saturn for 3 years without an issue. My new HID vendor pointed out the mismatch on my new Can-Bus purchase.

XenonDepot said:
I get that you prefer not to have a supporting vendor on this site so perhaps contact admin about this rather than throwing a hissy fit everytime I post in a thread.

Steve
Actually i think its great you feel your advertising investment is paying off. other than that a few of us that i have received pms from think you should stay in your sponsor section and sell your goods there and not post all over. now if you want to offer free modding advice or shortcuts in general on how to install things without committing to purchasing from you i think those DIYs would be really welcome.

Sorry if I voice my opinion. Maybe i will be sanctioned but there is a time and a place for shameless advertising. And every thread about HID's and all weather mats is not it.

I promise not to follow you around and voice my opinion if you promise the same. please note once again i posted asking the op if he got Can-Bus i didn't come here looking to degrade you or your offerings. you chimed in right after me addressing my question.[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
is there a plug and play 3k HID kit for the 2012 2LT, that I could just plug and play the lights in to the OEM fogs that I already have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Bowtieman21 said:
is there a plug and play 3k HID kit for the 2012 2LT, that I could just plug and play the lights in to the OEM fogs that I already have.
the canbus ones i have don't require a big wiring harness mess if that is what you mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
yeah basically looking for something i can just replace bulbs with and very little to no modifcations. i want the yellow bulbs, had PIAA's 3k halogens in my old acura with the Laminx film but they burned the film so now looking to possibly go the hid route and yellow laminx film.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top